Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2011, 11:58 AM   #1

Default Grand Cherokee and 215WSK

Hello all! My first post. My wife and I have looked at TT's for several months now and the one we love the most is the Fun Finder, but I'm a little worried about towing it with my Grand Cherokee.

The dry weight on the FF 215WSK is 3,840 according to the website. Does anyone have any "actual" weight info as I've heard brochures can fudge the numbers a little? Does anyone personally have any weight numbers on the 215WSK with the batteries attached and the propane tank\s filled?

My tow rig would be a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, 4WD, V8 (270HP 330TQ) with the towing package (Class IV hitch, trans cooler, power steering cooler, frame-mounted receptacle for load-equalizer hitch). Here are the specs on the Jeep.

Tongue limit: 750lbs
Towing limit: 6500lbs
Total combined weight allowed: 11000lbs

I'm not exactly sure what the jeep weighs, but online it says the overland's curb weight is 4356.
Family (me, wife, and dog) is 370lbs
FF 215 is 3,840
4356lbs (Jeep) + 370lbs (family) + (FF215) 3840 =8566lbs.

Now I understand the above numbers will go up as I get the actual weight of the Jeep and FF loaded with everything.

Things I will be buying,
Weight distributing hitch with sway control (not sure which yet)
Prodigy brake controller (either P2 or P3)
Extended mirrors.

On paper it seems that I would not have a problem, but I just wanted to hear if anyone else has towed the FF 215WSK with a Grand Cherokee?

Thanks in advance for all the advice and opinions as well as my loooong winded thread.

tomurphjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 03:59 PM   #2

Before I moved up to a 5ver, I towed a 210WBS with a Hemi Commander. Pretty much the same setup as what you are considering. The Commander had more weight and the Hemi was, of course, a "beefier" engine, but, you should be fine.

I put ~40,000 miles on our 210WBS with that Jeep and the trailer loaded almost to its max (we towed heavy at a little over 5800 lbs on the 210WBS which was rated at a little over 5900 lbs.). Never any issues, but, I suspect you may feel "pushed" a little more since the GC is a tad lighter and the 4.7 V8 a little anemic compared to the 5.7 Hemi. I used an Equal-i-zer 1K/10K hitch (1,000 lb bars on a 10,000 lb rated head assembly) and it was more than up to the task. I used a Tekonsha P3 as the brake controller and it was a "sweet" setup. Great tow, very well mannered and never any issues with power or braking.

We have some friends that liked my setup so much they went out and found a used '08 Hemi Commander and purchased the FF 244RBS and they do just fine with the slightly longer, heavier 244 when compared to the 215WKS you are considering. If the 215WSK is what you like, you shouldn't have any obstacles when hooking it up to your GC

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin :R

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX DP
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB (now gone)
2008 FunFinder X 210WBS (Sadly gone)
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 05:20 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply and I'm glad it seems the Jeep is up to the task.
Old 10-22-2011, 06:36 PM   #4

We have a '08 Grand Cherokee with a 3L diesel, and tow a 195swb Shadow cruiser, the jeep has no problems at all, only have a bit of a sway problem but that will have to do how we load the trailer, other than that I think it is a great combination.
jeepcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 09:40 AM   #5

Thanks for all the replies, but I'm still a little nervous with the setup. The FF I'm looking is 25ft (24'8") long. Just worried that it's too much for the Jeep since it's considered a "mid size" SUV.

Also, is the 24'8" length if the 215 from tongue to rear bumper? Or is it, just the lenght of the trailer?
Old 10-24-2011, 04:36 PM   #6

My 210WBS was listed as 21' 9"... It actually had a box that was 21' 9" and with the tongue and bumper I came out at a tad over 25'. Add my bike rack on the back of the unit and I told capgrounds that I was a hair over 28'. I measured it out at 28' 3".

Yours will most likely be closer to 28' long (without a bike rack) and probably closer to 4200 lbs "dry" when you pick it up at the dealer. Loaded for a trip, if you mind closely the weight of the "stuff" you carry, you'll, IMHO, be close to 5500 lbs, give or take a couple of hundred. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I traveled "heavy". Enough tools to build a house and enough canned cat food for several months (very picky eaters and I couldn't count on getting "their brand" while on the road ) and I weighed in around 5800 lbs.

It is doable, however, you will be at the "max" for that sized / engined vehicle. My Commander has pretty much the same wheelbase, but, with the Hemi, I "out gun" you on horse power and torque. I never had handling issues with the setup I used (Equal-i-zer and P3) and I never ran into power issues. If you mind your weight distribution and get a good hitch setup dialed in, you should be fine. You will be at a disadvantage in the "hills" department, however, the 4.7 is a strong, reliable engine and should prove sufficient. Keep your speed down, less than 65 mph, as handling deteriorates with speed at that loading (your ST tires are only rated to 65 mph anyway), I always traveled at 63 mph to minimize any "emergency handling" episodes and leave plenty of room for braking. Look for lightweight supplies; i.e., take plastic or melamine plates instead of stoneware, lightweight aluminum pans in lieu of your "well seasoned" cast iron, etc. and you should be fine.

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin :R

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX DP
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB (now gone)
2008 FunFinder X 210WBS (Sadly gone)
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 06:48 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by webslave
My 210WBS was listed as 21' 9"... It actually had a box that was 21' 9" and with the tongue and bumper I came out at a tad over 25'. Add my bike rack on the back of the unit and I told capgrounds that I was a hair over 28'. I measured it out at 28' 3".

Yours will most likely be closer to 28' long (without a bike rack) and probably closer to 4200 lbs "dry" when you pick it up at the dealer. Loaded for a trip, if you mind closely the weight of the "stuff" you carry, you'll, IMHO, be close to 5500 lbs, give or take a couple of hundred. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I traveled "heavy". Enough tools to build a house and enough canned cat food for several months (very picky eaters and I couldn't count on getting "their brand" while on the road ) and I weighed in around 5800 lbs.

It is doable, however, you will be at the "max" for that sized / engined vehicle. My Commander has pretty much the same wheelbase, but, with the Hemi, I "out gun" you on horse power and torque. I never had handling issues with the setup I used (Equal-i-zer and P3) and I never ran into power issues. If you mind your weight distribution and get a good hitch setup dialed in, you should be fine. You will be at a disadvantage in the "hills" department, however, the 4.7 is a strong, reliable engine and should prove sufficient. Keep your speed down, less than 65 mph, as handling deteriorates with speed at that loading (your ST tires are only rated to 65 mph anyway), I always traveled at 63 mph to minimize any "emergency handling" episodes and leave plenty of room for braking. Look for lightweight supplies; i.e., take plastic or melamine plates instead of stoneware, lightweight aluminum pans in lieu of your "well seasoned" cast iron, etc. and you should be fine.
Thanks for the reply and all the advice. I'll have to do some reading on what you say about the tires. I understand there is a load rating, but I have no idea what ST tires mean.
The power of the Jeep isn't a concern at all. From the reading I've done, the 4.7 HO has plently of power to get the job done. It's the stopping (tail wagging the dog) I was worried about the most. The Jeep has about 50K on the odo and I've decided to get it ready for a TT. I've replaced all the shocks (probably not needed, but makes me feel better), upgraded the sway bars (per Jeep forum) and over all just made sure all the maintenance is done. I guess worst case, I'll end up upgrading the TV.

I'd love to say that I'm going to get it today, but I'm going to wait and see if I can find a better deal in the dead of winter. Anyways, thanks again!