Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   FunfinderClub > Fun Finder Tech > Towing and Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-24-2013, 09:53 AM   #1

Default Jeep cherokee Towing 2003 189fb

Hey everybody I have a few questions about towing.
Now I'm not new to towing but I never towed a Travel trailer before.
First off I have a Jeep Cherokee 4.0l motor. It has a class 3 hitch and the jeep is rated for 5000lb gvwr and a 700lb tongue rating. I have converted my rear brakes from drums to Disc (big improvement in braking), replaced my sagging leaf springs with heavy duty leaf springs, replaced my small factory tranny cooler with a bigger stacked plate cooler, Installed a tranny temp gauge to keep my eye on the temps, and I am wired for electric brakes. My questions are what is the dry weight rating for a 2003 189fb? I found 2 different weights 1400 (dealer spec) and 2400 (online specs). I know the gvwr is 3500 so it is within the weight rating for my jeep. My other question is with everything I have done to my jeep is there anything else that you think should be done. I don't have a WD hitch or a sway controller. I'm going to pick up my Fun finder this Saturday and I figure I will see how it handles without it and if I think it needs it I will get them.

looking4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:55 PM   #2

Default Sticker on trailer

There should be a sticker somewhere on the trailer that states either the unloaded vehicle weight (UVW), the dry weight and the gross vehicle weight (estimate of what it would weight with all of your gear). Check the around the entry door of the camper and other outside areas. If not there, check inside the kitchen cabinets. Sometimes it is there. I am finding the same issue with a 2013 model trailer. Cruiser website put dry weight at 4,200 lbs. while the sticker on the trailer put the dry weight at 4,500. Probably safest to estimate on the heavy side.

Jeepin-family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:06 PM   #3
Site Team

If you click on the "FILES' button at the top of the page it takes you to the section where the factory brochures are linked. The 2003 brochure looks like it was scanned at low resolution is pretty hard to read. The 2005 brochure lists the weight at 2300 lbs for single axle and 2700 lbs for double axle for the 189. So I'd guess the 2400 number yuo have is closer. Keep in mind that quite often the dry weight numbers posted are notoriously innacurate and also don't include the weight of things like batteries, propane tanks, awnings, etc. To be sure you'll have to take it to a scale and have it weighed.
LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:46 PM   #4

I looked in the Files section and like you said it looks like it was scaned and it didnt come out to good. When I pick up my camper there is private company that has a truck scale on the way back home. I might see if they will let me put the trailer on that scale to see what the weight is. Even if its 2400lb I highly dought there will be any issues but i figured I would ask.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:32 AM   #5

figured I would give you an update:
I picked up my camper on Saturday morning and towed it 110 miles home. The jeep seemed to handle it pretty good, braking was not a problem (Thanks to the brake controller), and just took my time getting up to speed. It was a hotter day so trans temps while towing were about 15 degrees above normal my gauge said 165 degrees (sensor is in the pan) and the engine was in the upper end of normal which is around 215 degrees. I'm not going to be setting any land speed records going up bigger hills but I can keep it around 55mph. I'm going to get a weight distribution hitch since it was pretty bouncy in the back when I went over bumps. Found one on craig's list that is pretty cheap.
And I was able to get it weighted on the way home. Detached from the jeep the the trailer weighted 2680lbs. That was with empty tanks except for propane, it does have a canopy, and ac unit on the roof.