Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2012, 09:32 AM   #1

Default Looking at a 2007 Fun Finder 189FBS...

I'm told by the person selling that the weight I should be looking at is not the GVWR but the Dry Weight. My 1991 Sun Lite Discovery has a GVRW of 3000lbs, the FF is 5830, dry weight around 3300. An 08 TrailBlazer rated for 5000lbs is my tow vehicle.

We bought the Sun Lite thinking we could pull it with a Dodge Caravan but soon found the reality different! DO NOT want to have that experience again but the FF is perfect for me...please advise! (I'm a single camper, so very light packing)

Thanks!

michi-camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:06 PM   #2

To me, the logical weight to talk about is "what does the trailer actually weigh, ready to go camping".
For instance, my 2012 189FDS has a claimed dry weight of around 3050 pounds. It actually weighs 3780 as it sits right now, with all the stuff ready to go camp ( water tanks empty ).
Yet it has a GVWR of something like 6000 or 6500. I would never have a need to pack so much stuff in it to get the weight that high.

That's my take on it.

PS. My camper is about 120 pounds lighter than it was when I brought it home, because I removed the bunk bed that was over the regular bed in front.
gmw photographics is offline   Reply With Quote