Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2011, 05:29 AM   #1

Default Low speed brake vibration with 2012 WSK215

Ever since we bought it, our 2012 WSK215 brakes shudder pretty violently during a gradual stop once we're below about 5mph. I tow it with a 2002 Tahoe that uses a Prodigy 2 controller. I adjusted the brakes early on, and they really needed it, but no change. It's still doing this after a 3000 mile trip. I can reduce the shuddering by backing off on the brake controller, but the trailer isn't braking enough that way. The dealer is telling me the brake drums/shoes need more "setting in," but I don't buy it. Why should we have to put up with this for thousands of miles? I've read lots of forums and web postings on this subject, but nothing definitive. Anybody else have this problem? Anybody able to fix it?

Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 12:24 PM   #2

If it is still under warranty, I would take it to your dealer and tell them to fix it, I agree with you that after a 3,000 mile trip they are as good as they are going to get without repair. The drums could be out of round or you might have a loose connection that lets the magnet bounce on and off.
Let us know how this works out,
ArizAl

ArizAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 04:27 PM   #3

Thanks for the info. In the meantime, I've talked to Tekonsha (the Prodigy P2 controller mfr). They told me how to test the brakes using the manual control. I didn't realize the manual lever was proportional, so you can simulate the action of the controller manually so you can fault isolate to the controller or the trailer. BUT, he said that for new brakes you should go up to about 20 mph and then stop the whole rig with the trailer brakes (using the controller's manual lever). Let them cool off, and then do it again 6 - 12 times. It takes that to "burnish" the brakes. Otherwise, they might act like this. We'll see.
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 10:37 AM   #4

Dennis,
THX for this post. I've got a similar situation, but not nearly the amount of 'shudder' you describe. I have not really broken the brakes in properly, as the fellow from Tekonsha described (which is really how the Prodigy owners manual describes testing and setting the level of boost for the rig.) We did put about 1500 miles on it in Sept and I do still have just a bit of shudder only at low speeds, as you would if your vehicle has new rotors or has set for some time and had the rotors rust up a bit. I figured I just need to hit them hard a few times, so this sounds like what I'll have to do in spring.

Otherwise, I agree with ArizAl that if that does not cure it, make the dealer take care of it. Its a new trailer, that's what you pay for, even if the dealers don't like it!

2012 FF X-214WSD
2010 RAM 1500 Crew Cab 4x4, 5.7 Hemi MDS, Huskey 1200lb trunnion WD, Prodigy Brake
Yamaha EF2000i
Prion Seayak Kayaks
fischnet is offline   Reply With Quote