Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2018, 10:31 PM   #1

Default New Towing Vehicle Chev Avalanche

After a complete years hiatus (2017) dealing with sciatic nerve pain, I'm going to try and get myself and the camper out of storage and get back out to a few places in 2018. The vehicle I was pulling my X189FBR with was a 2002 Suburban and now I am going to switch to a 2011 Chevy Avalanche PU. I'm wondering if there will be obvious differences in towing.
2010 Funfinder X189FBR
2011 Chevy Avalanche

poolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 06:51 PM   #2

Great! That looks like a very competent truck. Sorry to hear about the sciatica -- that is no fun, as I can unfortunately attest. I was on Gabapentin for 8 months, ending a month ago. It worked, but it seemed like forever.

profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 08:29 PM   #3

Default New towing vehicle chev avalanche reply to thread

Hi profdant139, Thanks.
Regarding Sciatica. Came on like wildfire after a lot of physical work one day and had me on the floor screaming in pain for the next 7 months. I'm sure I don't have to tell you about the pain but this was by far the most horrific thing I have ever experienced in my 64 years. Gabapentin was the very first of many things that didn't put a dent in it. Then went away like magic 3 weeks before surgery. Didn't have the surgery in December. Enough about that . I don't want to jinx it.
The reason I worry about the truck is I think PU trucks don't have the traction of a big SUV and I know most people here pull with trucks. Pulling with that old Suburban is the only thing I've known and that was pretty stable. The motor is the same basically and a little underpowered at 5.3; but I'm in no hurry. Anyway will know soon enough as I pick the truck up this week and I'll probably do a dry run in March.
Old 02-10-2018, 09:30 PM   #4

I have not heard that trucks are less capable than SUVS, but I am not an expert. I do know that we towed first with a Pathfinder SUV and then switched to a Tacoma, and the Tacoma has out-performed the SUV. I don't know if it is a fair comparison.

But we go off road a lot, into snow, mud, ice, and sand, and the Tacoma has steadily pulled the trailer into (and better yet, out of!) some tough situations. When the going gets really bad, I put it into 4 wheel low and grind my way through.

I should also add that the Tacoma pulled the fully loaded trailer (including full water tank) up a 26 percent incline a couple of years ago. That is not a typo -- this was the east side of Sonora Pass. The sign said "not recommended for trailers." I had talked to the Calif Hwy Patrol office in charge of that road and described my setup. They said, "no problem, you are good to go."
profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 02:26 PM   #5

Thanks . Quite an incline..I didn't think the truck would be an issue but wondered never having towed with one.
Old 02-12-2018, 01:47 AM   #6

Your 2011 Avalanche is very capable and you wont have any problems. Some have 4:11 gears and tow very nice even with 3:42 gears. You will like it as guys like my dad will not give his up and it is a 2002 Avalanche. Silverado
Old 02-12-2018, 07:08 AM   #7

You will have no problems towing with avalanche.
I crossed the country twice towed 25,000 miles in 8 years pulling same camper with a 2006 H3 with a inline 5 cyl 220 Hp some hills had to take it slow otherwise didn't know it was back there,
only using a friction sway bar.
Attached Thumbnails
406845181311.jpg  

2017 Keystone Summerland 1750RD
fourfourto is offline   Reply With Quote