Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2012, 09:01 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to smokjump
Default New Truck

I have a Viewfinder 28RLSS and am towing it with a Toyota Sequoita. Thinking of buying a pick-up to tow with and am being told a F-150 is my best chioce. Wadda you guys think ?? The Sequoia does good but I want a new pick up (have a 2002 Tundra I love) but the F-150 seems better suited for towing than the Tundra. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

smokjump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 08:36 PM   #2
roy

New Tundra with towing package and the 5.7L engine. Out standing truck. I towed our XT-276 1254 miles in two days slam across the extreme heat of Texas. Tomorrow we head to the Grand Canyon from CO the later next week make the 1500 mile pull back home to MS.

WERA Expert #826
roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 03:15 PM   #3

Default NEW TRUCK

Well, obviously there are many options to choose from, and everyone has their favorite. I tow my 2012 210UDS FunFinder with my 2010 F-150 CrewCab with the 5.4L engine and it works great. We tow over the Coastal range and up into the Cascade mountains in Oregon without any problems. But as I said, there are many choices in trucks and most will do the job. It is a matter of personal preference, and it helps to get a good deal. Good luck.
EDLCRI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:24 PM   #4
M&M

Default new pickup consideratons

We tow our 210WBS with a 2012 Silverado which has the 5.3 engine and 3.42 axil ratio. The engine has about 315 horsepower. The pickup generally functions OK but seems somewhat underpowered when conditions are less than ideal. In the mountains, it is badly underpowered. The whole unit weighs about 11,000 pounds loaded including passengers. I would recommend more power and lower gears. Most manufactures including Ford, GM, and Dodge all have engines in half ton pickups in excess of 350 horsepower and may have lower gears such as a 3.73 ratio available. Also be sure the truck has a towing package.
Equal-i-zer 600/6000 hitch
M&M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:40 PM   #5

I just purchased a F-150 4x4 Crew Cab with the 3.5 liter Ecoboost. I test drove everything out there and although I have been a Chevy Man for 40 years I thought the Ford was the best choice for a 1/2 ton. It has an 11,300 lb towing capacity and handles my FF189 FBS without effort. I'm pulling down about 19-21 MPG w/o the trailer and about 12 with.
It's towing ability is enhanced by the load/haul setting which includes hill decent control, trailer sway control, trailer brakes, electric mirrors etc. not to mention 400+ ftlbs of torque at 1700 RPM.
14 NRS RAft
montanacamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:48 AM   #6

Also towing with 2012 F150 FX4 Eco Boost. Have a 210WBS and it pulls it much better than the 09 F150 with the 5.4L that I traded. Have had GMC, Toyota Tacoma, and F150. Am impressed with the Eco Boost.

Had thought of getting a 5th Wheel this fall. I know, I have read all the opinions on pulling a 5th wheel with F-150. I have a friend at work that does, and swears by how good it does. But when I did the math, the towing weight is not the issue, it was the pin weight. And with the 5.5 foot box, the heavier and much more expensive receiver that was needed was just additional cargo weight that made it too close for my comfort. But it is a matter of personal choice and I am not about to criticize those that are pulling the 5th wheels.
hrhvulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:44 PM   #7
roy

I want to come back and clarify a few things. You stated you already have a Toyota so you'll relate to what I'm about to say. Watch the claims of these other manufacturers tow numbers, yea it might move 11300 across town but out on the open road beware your headed for dissapointment. Supercharged engines are just that "advertising hype". What you need to be looking for is true tow capacity which today they required to adhere to a new standard which Toyota already does. Also look for the rear gear ratio most if not all domestic brands have highway gearing not towing gearing. For instance my Tundra has a 4.30 rear gear with the best 6 speed sequential automatic on the road today. Add that to a 5.7L V8 that screams torque and HP you got a winning 1/2 ton truck. It flat gets the job done!! My commute mileage is good at 18-19 mpg but IMO if you are looking for mileage in a tow vehicle your priorities are conflicted.

Go test drive one.

WERA Expert #826
roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:10 PM   #8

The discussion about the realites of towing claims have be around since horses vs mules and continue today.
At this time there is no standard testing protocol for towing ratings in the US. However the Feds are working on a system simular to that used in Europe where a vehicle is run through a very rigid system of tests before a tow rating can be applied.

For example my Santa Fe is rated at 3500# in the US but is rated at 5000# in Europe. These tests include climbing a 12% grade at a set speed with towing weight added until specific parameters are met. The same with braking on down hills. I image that towing ratings could be substantially changed.

The Tundra is indeed a great towing vehicle as are all modern pickups and as ROY stated one should approach max towing capacity with caution and if you are exceeding 50% of the listed towing rating one should consider a heavy duty truck because as all good Americans we will always be adding more stuff and thus more weight..
14 NRS RAft
montanacamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:05 AM   #9

Ok smokjump here is my two cents worth.When it was time for me to buy my tow vehicle I decided that I didn't want any limitations.After looking at the entire Ford lineup I bought an F-350 Superduty with the 6.7L Diesel SRW.Equipped with a full tow package including a class 5 hitch.I purchased a class 5 adjustable ball mount.I no longer need weight distribution or anti sway equipment.When I hit a grade (any grade) this truck will maintain speed and just run up to the top of the hill without hesitation and I must say "O WHAT A FEELING".
I have towed with many vehicles over the years.Chevy Suburban w/350 ci,Silverado 1/2 ton w/5.3L,GMC 3/4 ton van w/350 ci to name three.Nothing I have owned compares to what I drive now.
When I looked at the F-150's there were to many limitations for me.The Eco Boost is a small V6 that relies heavily on it's Turbos's to deliver the required horsepower for towing.Will the Turbo's hold up under stress?What will happen when a Turbo blow's?Time will tell if these truck's will cut it.The other F-150's seemed to be great choices but with limitations.All of the 150's need weight distribution for trailers over 5000 lbs.
Good luck and happy shopping.It's always fun looking for new trucks.
jwaliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:38 PM   #10

To those considering a 150/1500 class pickup (1/4 ton) or towing a 5th wheel. Particularly those that have any inkling about eventually trading up to a 5er.

Buy, at the least, a 250/2500 or higher (3/4 ton and up) pickup. Yes, there are many companies out there pushing 1/4 ton towable 5th wheels, but, the fact of the matter is; while possible, the 1/4 tons are "borderline" acceptable for the lightest 5ers made. A reasonably sized 5er (something worth going to a 5er for) is going to need a 3/4 ton to tow. Ask me, I know If you have any thoughts of maybe going to a 5er, or the very largest bumper pulls; get a 3/4 ton or better, diesel powered. I went from a 6,000 lb, fully loaded, 210WBS (still miss that little darling) to a 12,000 lb Cougar 318SAB. Anything less would have been a pointless "upgrade". A 28' ultralight 5er is no better owning than a 28' or 32' bumper pull...if you go to a 5er, the odds are you are going for space and amenities and those come at a price; weight. A 5th wheel's pin weight runs 18-22% of gross (my pin weight is right at 2100 lbs) and a 1/4 ton, while it may be rated to pull a 5er's weight, will be overloaded on pin weight. A diesel is desirable for its low rpm torque (the part of the load pulling ability that gassers don't like to talk about) and its longevity. My 6.7L turbo Cummins diesel has 800 ft lbs of torque and shouldn't need a rebuild for 250K miles or better. Add an exhaust brake (I have to give the truck gas to make it go downhill on a 6% grade) and a diesel is a pure load master. I'm hauling 35' (actual length is about the same as a 30' trailer since I have some of the trailer over the truck's bed and no tongue) and 12,000 lbs for the trailer and 9680 lbs for the truck and get 10.5 to 11.5 mpg.

Just a "heads up"... A 150/1500 series 1/4 ton, is a good tow vehicle for a bumper pull TT up to ~30'...a 5er or a heavy 30'+ trailer really needs, at the minimum a 3/4 ton or higher (a 35' 5er toy hauler, for instance, really needs a 1 ton, SRW or DRW). If you are contemplating a new tow vehicle, a pickup truck, and have any thoughts of a 5th wheel, you should go ahead and bite the bullet and get a 3/4 ton diesel or better.

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin :R

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX DP
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB (now gone)
2008 FunFinder X 210WBS (Sadly gone)
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote