Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2012, 08:19 AM   #1

Default noise from chains on weight distribution hitch

The chains on my weight distribution hitch make loud clicking noises when I'm making turns. I have tighten the bolts that connect the chain to the bar but the noise is still there. Anyone know how I can stop this or is is just normal?

Thanks

Fredericksburg, Va.
RiverBend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:53 AM   #2
TCP

Default Re: noise from chains on weight distribution hitch

If you have trunion mount bars (like a small "T" at the hitch end), put some lube on the parts that are making contact (the top ends of the "T"). They are rotating in their cups during turns and if they are dry they pop and jump, making noise. Excessive dust in the cups will cause them to creak and squeak as well. Round bars need some lube as well where they contact the hitch. It's probably not on the chain at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBend
The chains on my weight distribution hitch make loud clicking noises when I'm making turns. I have tighten the bolts that connect the chain to the bar but the noise is still there. Anyone know how I can stop this or is is just normal?

Thanks

TCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:44 AM   #3

Assuming you are using a WD setup, that may be the culprit and depending on the brand, it is just something they do and you need to be a little careful in "lubricating" the noise out...quite often that noise is caused by the "anti-sway" feature of those bars and lubrication can quieten them down at the sacrifice of the "anti-sway" capability. Consult the manufacturer before lubricating an anti-sway WD system.

You don't mention which model TT you have, but, another source of "popping" noises in turns, on tandem axle trailers, is the suspension flexing during the turn. You have two wheels/axles very close together and they "deform" drastically in tight turns and that "popping" noise is the suspensions movement in the connections to the frame. Normal and not a lot you can do about it.

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin :R

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX DP
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB (now gone)
2008 FunFinder X 210WBS (Sadly gone)
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 06:39 PM   #4

I have a 2008 X210WBS note my signature. It's not the TT because I don't hear any noise with the bars disconnected. I have a seperate sway bar but it's not making the noise because I still hear it when the sway bar is off. The WD is an eazlift elite pro star. What do ya'll use to lube the bars with? To tell the truth I really don't need the WD or sway bar because this trailer is so light. I needed them with my old prowler trailer and I just kept them. Thanks for the info.
Fredericksburg, Va.
RiverBend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 09:06 AM   #5
TCP

I use antiseize, but that's somewhat overkill. Any chassis lube will work or if you want to cut down on dirt attraction, a thin layer of teflon lube like "finish line". just look where the bars make contact on the vehicle side hitch head and clean and lube that area. the bars are just jumping as they are dry steel on dry steel...probably with some dust thrown in.
TCP is offline   Reply With Quote