Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2018, 08:44 PM   #1

Default sway control bar

we finally got a friction sway control bar. got it installed too.
the guy who did the installation told me to not use it except on the highway. I am wondering if that means before negotiating winding roads or city driving we need to either remove the bar or lessen the tension. the instructions are not clear at all. any advice please? this is new to us.

Hilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 09:23 PM   #2

When I used one, the only time I did not have tension on it was backing up. Otherwise I always had tension on it since its a PITA to just tighten it up before entering the highway.

twinster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 11:11 PM   #3

thanks! that's kind of what I thought. our son uses a WD hitch with the sway control bar, and I've never seen him doing much with it. I'm sure once we actually drive with it, my questions will be fewer!
Old 09-25-2018, 09:00 AM   #4

I have a Reese friction sway control bar and I use it every time I use my 160, even across town to dump my tanks. I have had no problems on winding mountain roads, campgrounds or even backing it into parking spots. My only problem has been that I lost one of the spring clips on a hunting trip this past weekend and had to replace it temporarily with a bent nail.
GeorgieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 09:13 AM   #5

I just had another thought; while we tend to believe the folks work on our units are experts it might be a good idea to call around to other businesses in your area to ask them their recommendations.
GeorgieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 11:44 AM   #6

Just avoid backing and sharp/tight turns and you’ll be fine.
Old 09-30-2018, 03:10 PM   #7

I have never heard of that. I use mine all the time if I can. Have only had to remove it for backing up a hill or something. Mine is a dual sway/weight distribution thing. I’d check with the manufacturers web site?
dogs_rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 06:01 PM   #8
APD

Ours is the friction type. I usually loosen it after checking into the campground office. It's not needed while parking and the noise is a distraction. After hitching and putting it on loose I also usually stop on the way out, and check that I'm not dragging a water hose or something, and tighten it.
1994 GMC Camper Van,
APD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 07:42 PM   #9

I appreciate all the reassurance. The bar does make a difference. we usually travel a stretch of road that is 2 way traffic, and often meet big trucks whooshing past on the other side. I noticed a decided improvement in the feel of towing the little trailer when that happened. that alone is worth the trouble of added hitch up. which is really no trouble at all. and once we towed with it, I realized all the warnings could be taken with a grain of salt and some common sense.

I did a big goof though, and hope I didn't damage the bar...
in the rush to unhitch, (dh was walking the dogs) I unhitched the trailer, removed the bar from the vehicle but not the trailer. I didn't notice that the free end was on the ground and when I started to raise the tongue, it slid into a straight up position. Of course when I started to lower the trailer, it was jammed perpendicular to the tongue and I wondered why the tongue wouldn't go down. DUH. I quickly raised the tongue and pulled the bar out. It seemed to have suffered no harm, I won't forget that again.
Old 10-01-2018, 06:09 AM   #10

Location: Sebring,Florida(Winter) & Lutes Mountain, NB, Canada (Summer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnitio View Post
Just avoid backing and sharp/tight turns and you’ll be fine.
You are absolutely right, I had one of my bars drop our backing into a parking spot a few years back, yours might be different but mine when backing or on extremely sharp angles the bars would reach the point on the hitch where they drop out.....only happened once and I noticed it which was lucky on my part.
I sold my trailer this year as we were not using it enough so no more concerns on that.
Good luck, you will be fine....just beware of very sharp angles.....Ernie.
canuck travellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 09:49 PM   #11
APD

Talking

Our little trailer has the smaller ball mount for the friction sway installed on both sides. Our hitch only has one on the curb side but if I wanted to add another I could. One is plenty. We came down state 75 from Hiawassee toward Helen this past Saturday. The road is like a snake with tight switch backs, 180's and 7% to 9% grades. Having a TV that's three times heavier than the camper helps....
She just don't push Big Blue around.

Alan
1994 GMC Camper Van,
APD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 08:57 AM   #12

I have used the friction antisway bars for the last 25 years but always found that just one did the job. You have the ideal setup with the tow vehicle weighing must more than the trailer but I have experienced that some are inherently more stable than others. I think it has to do with weight distribution and the position of how far back the trailer wheels are located. Unfortunately some are built with the wheels closer to the center to reduce tongue weight and improve the turning radius but at the expense of sway stability.