Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2014, 07:37 PM   #1

Default Thinking of purchasing a 1500 Silverado

Hey everyone. I'm thinking of purchasing a Chevy Silverado 1500 to pull my 189fbd funfinder. Now the truck has a 9000lb towing capacity but i was wondering if I still need to purchase a WDH? If I wasn't going to get a new truck I definitely would purchased one. The rear end gets bouncy when towing with my Cherokee. Would be nice to hear from people that have a 1500 Silverado to get their opinion and hear how it does towing a travel trailer.

Old 04-24-2014, 12:31 PM   #2
Site Team

I have a 2011 Chevy 1500 crew cab 4x4 that I tow my 210WBS with. The max load for a weight carrying hitch is 600 lbs tongue weight and 5000 lbs gross trailer weight, so I would think a 2014 model would be similar. You should be able to download a brochure and towing guide from Chevy's website that will tell you for sure.

I do use a WD hitch and it really tows quite nicely, I can hardly tell the trailer is there. Although I'm probably wiithin the WC limits I've never towed the trailer without using the WD so I can't say how well it tows under those conditions.

As a guess for a 189 you should be OK without the WD.

LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 03:05 PM   #3

I recommend a weight distribution hitch...for everything that has a frontal area larger than a utility trailer. Your ride and handling can only be improved by spreading the weight (tongue) of your trailer across both axles of your tow vehicle and most all WD hitches offer a form of sway control that you won't get just from the ball hitch. You could get a friction sway bar, but, they don't work as well as the dual control bars on a weight distribution hitch and you get no weight transfer to the front axle. If, IMHO, it weighs more than 1500 lbs., you can be well served by a WD hitch and if it has the full frontal area of an RV, regardless of the weight, I consider a weight distribution hitch with anti-sway to be one of the best investments for ride, handling and safety that you can make. I towed my '08 210WBS for a while (before I got the 5er) with my RAM 2500 CTD HO truck...yep, used an Equal-i-zer weight distribution hitch. That truck, truly, didn't know the trailer was there, but, the WD hitch got the back end back up so the headlights were aligned properly, got the load off the rear stiff springs and eliminated any sway from the wind or passing trucks that might have occurred.

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin :R

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX DP
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB (now gone)
2008 FunFinder X 210WBS (Sadly gone)
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 08:50 PM   #4
M&M

Default towing with Silverado 1500

We first towed our 210WBS with a Chevy K-1500, which had air bags for leveling but no WDH. We noticed little to no sway problems with this setup. We then upgraded to a Silverado 1500 with no air bags or WDH, and again no sway issues. We then added a WDH. Use of the hitch did level out the truck, and gave a better ride as it reduces the tendency to "hinge" in the middle, especially when going through dips. It also gives more assurance of being able to handle an emergency maneuver if necessary. On the downside, a WDH is heavier to handle and more effort to hitch up than a non WDH.
M&M
Equal-i-zer 600/6000 hitch
M&M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 08:24 AM   #5

We tow a 2007 FF FBS189 with our 2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac with a WDH. It is rated at 5000 lbs tow with 500 lbs max tongue. Although our fuel milage is horrible for a V6, it is a bit sluggish, but pulls just fine when you get up to speed. Since we plan on getting a newer bigger Fun Finder in a few years we are waiting on the released of the 2015 Ford F-150 with either the 3.5 EcoBoost or the new 2.7 Ecoboost. The 3.5 has a tow capacity of 11,800 lbs, I'm not sure what the 2.7 capacity will be, but they are saying the second generation EcoBoost engines with the 700lbs weight shaved off for the new aluminum beds could get upwards of 27 MPG. I'll believe that when I see it.
2003 Limited Production New Beetle Turbo S
1966 VW Beetle -restored.
Dillinger-63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 08:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJAZ
I have a 2011 Chevy 1500 crew cab 4x4 that I tow my 210WBS with. The max load for a weight carrying hitch is 600 lbs tongue weight and 5000 lbs gross trailer weight, so I would think a 2014 model would be similar. You should be able to download a brochure and towing guide from Chevy's website that will tell you for sure.

I do use a WD hitch and it really tows quite nicely, I can hardly tell the trailer is there. Although I'm probably wiithin the WC limits I've never towed the trailer without using the WD so I can't say how well it tows under those conditions.

Your silverado is only rated for 5000lb? Every sight that I can find towing spec rates it for at least 9000lb. Do you have the 4.8l? I've only been looking for a 5.3 liter.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by webslave
I recommend a weight distribution hitch...for everything that has a frontal area larger than a utility trailer. Your ride and handling can only be improved by spreading the weight (tongue) of your trailer across both axles of your tow vehicle and most all WD hitches offer a form of sway control that you won't get just from the ball hitch. You could get a friction sway bar, but, they don't work as well as the dual control bars on a weight distribution hitch and you get no weight transfer to the front axle. If, IMHO, it weighs more than 1500 lbs., you can be well served by a WD hitch and if it has the full frontal area of an RV, regardless of the weight, I consider a weight distribution hitch with anti-sway to be one of the best investments for ride, handling and safety that you can make. I towed my '08 210WBS for a while (before I got the 5er) with my RAM 2500 CTD HO truck...yep, used an Equal-i-zer weight distribution hitch. That truck, truly, didn't know the trailer was there, but, the WD hitch got the back end back up so the headlights were aligned properly, got the load off the rear stiff springs and eliminated any sway from the wind or passing trucks that might have occurred.
I will be getting at least a friction sway controller but will most likely be getting a WDH to avoid the hinge point. Just didn't know if the rear springs were strong enough to prevent the hinge point.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger-63
We tow a 2007 FF FBS189 with our 2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac with a WDH. It is rated at 5000 lbs tow with 500 lbs max tongue. Although our fuel milage is horrible for a V6, it is a bit sluggish, but pulls just fine when you get up to speed. Since we plan on getting a newer bigger Fun Finder in a few years we are waiting on the released of the 2015 Ford F-150 with either the 3.5 EcoBoost or the new 2.7 Ecoboost. The 3.5 has a tow capacity of 11,800 lbs, I'm not sure what the 2.7 capacity will be, but they are saying the second generation EcoBoost engines with the 700lbs weight shaved off for the new aluminum beds could get upwards of 27 MPG. I'll believe that when I see it.
Im in the same boat with my cherokee. 5000lb tow rating and tows my trailer perfectly fine but it is real slugish. Especially when it is going up any type of hill. The jeep is getting older and needs some work so that why I'm thinking of trading up to something that is more suited for towing and my now bigger family. I was looking at the fords and wouldn't mind getting one if the price is right but for some reason I'm just stuck on the silverado. I just really like it.
Old 04-28-2014, 10:09 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4fun
Quote:

Your silverado is only rated for 5000lb? Every sight that I can find towing spec rates it for at least 9000lb. Do you have the 4.8l? I've only been looking for a 5.3 liter.
No it's the 5.3L and rated at 9500 lbs & 1000 lb tongue weight, but that is with a weight distributing hitch. Without one it's 5000 lbs. If you check the fine print on the Chevy trailering guide it will say something like "These charts are for use with a weight distributing hitch. When using a weight carrying hitch, the maximum trailer weight is 5000 lbs. and a 600 lb. tongue weight."
Old 04-28-2014, 03:22 PM   #10

Quote:
No it's the 5.3L and rated at 9500 lbs & 1000 lb tongue weight, but that is with a weight distributing hitch. Without one it's 5000 lbs. If you check the fine print on the Chevy trailering guide it will say something like "These charts are for use with a weight distributing hitch. When using a weight carrying hitch, the maximum trailer weight is 5000 lbs. and a 600 lb. tongue weight."
O ok I that does make sense. I guess they don't put the fine print on websites. lol
Old 04-28-2014, 06:01 PM   #11

just replaced the GMC denali with a 2500 HD Siverado pull the XT330 to the dealer today in a wind storm what a different ride. Trucks are like cranes you just cant have to large of one.
GMC Denali-retired
2014 Chevy 2500HD crew cab 4x4
dberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 09:06 AM   #12

I finally had the chance to hook up my 06' 189fd to my '14 Sierra this weekend. I did so without the weight distributing hitch since I didn't have time to set it up for the new truck and we were only going 90km each way (previously used it on my '06 Frontier, and it was pretty much necessary with the old truck). The manual lists a WD hitch as optional up to 7,000lbs. For the 189, it pulled great without it. Hit a few rough patches and didn't have any of the seesawing or teetering that my old Frontier had over even minor bumps. It felt pretty darn stable.

That said, since I have the hitch already I'll have it set up before we go for a longer trip in the next couple weeks, may as well. You'd likely be fine without it. At least worth a shot to see how you feel.
Offspring22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 03:53 AM   #13

Hey guys thanks for all the replies. I just purchased a 2011 silverado 1500 last night! Still on the fence about the wd hitch but leaning more toward getting. Going to see how it feels with out it but with a friction sway controller. Now I need to install a trailer brake controller, so my next question is which one is a good controller for this truck. I don't need the latest and greatest top of the line controller. Just one the is good and reliable. Everyone's input is greatly appreciated! Thanks guys!
Old 06-04-2014, 09:59 AM   #14
Site Team

Congrats on your new truck! You should be OK with the weight carrying hitch setup although the WD hitch will give you a smoother tow.

I have a prodigy P3 which is a proportional controller vs. a time delay. It was easy to install and not super pricey. Plenty of other options out there though.

If your truck has not already had a brake controller installed, you'll need to hook up the wires for the controller and the hot 12v lead to 7 pole plug. here's a link to a good video on how to set it up.
http://www.etrailer.com/tv-brake-con...et-pickup.aspx
Old 06-04-2014, 02:33 PM   #15

Which do you think is better controller a proportional or a time delay?
Old 06-05-2014, 08:47 AM   #16
Site Team

I prefer the proportional. It functions by measuring how fast the tow vehicle is stopping and applies an equal amount of braking force at the trailer wheels. If you hit the brakes hard, the trailer brakes are applied hard. Apply gently and trailer brakes are applied gently.

On the time delay the controller once the brake pedal is pushed there is a time delay until the brakes reach the user-set max amount of braking. It doesn't matter if you stop quickly or slowly the trailer brake response is the same.

The proportional controllers typically cost a bit more but IMO provide smoother stopping. They also put less wear and tear on the both the trailer and truck brakes because they are applied equally. With the time delay most of the load is applied to either the trailer or the truck.
Old 06-06-2014, 07:34 PM   #17

Well I decided to got with the prodigy 2. Also got the installation pig tail to go with it. It had a lot of good reviews so I decided to go with that one.
Old 06-07-2014, 10:10 AM   #18
Site Team

Good choice, that should work quite well. When I bought the P3 someone, etrailer I think, had it on sale for the same price as the P2. The P3 has a few extra bells & whistles that I probably will never use like a toggle switch for electric over hydraulic.
Old 06-07-2014, 05:51 PM   #19

Most assuredly a proportional unit (and, IMHO, Tekonsha, for the money, makes the best). The time delay units were good in their hayday, but, like the rotary phone (also good at their point in time) are dwarfed by the introduction and improvements in proportional brake units. Who wants to need to apply brakes, only to have the trailer's brakes delayed? When I want brakes, I want them now, and in a proportion equal to what I'm applying to the tow vehicle's brakes...and your Prodigy P2 will fill the bill nicely! Before my Ram with the built in unit, I, too, used a Prodigy, but, like LJAZ, the P3 unit; top notch.

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin :R

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX DP
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB (now gone)
2008 FunFinder X 210WBS (Sadly gone)
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote