Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2009, 11:33 AM   #1

Default Tow Vehicles Part II

hi there.

Does anyone tow a 189fbr (or other close trailer) with a Pathfinder, Armada or Titan 5.6V8 and how is your mileage.

We love our trailer and earlier i posted about my 7-12.5mpg with my tacoma V6. I have ordered a weight distributing hitch and will try that.

Any comments on this one.

Thanks

Bill

bumperhead_1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 12:17 PM   #2

I tow a 230DS with a 06 Xterra, which shares the same drive train as the V6 Pathfinder and Frontier and can not stop bragging about the truck!

Mileage for me ranges between 10.5 and 8, depending on load/terrain/wind direction, and I here the 5.6 is comparable. The big issue is not necessarily the weight, but wind resistance.

Using the 5.6 with the 189 will be a great combo, you will not be taxing that at all and I would bet you will get 12 - 10 mpg. Let us know...

Equalizer Hitch
2011 Nomad 206
Panasonic/Pioneer/Kicker ~ Audio/Video System
Days Camped /2009 / 33
keyser soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 05:12 PM   #3

Thank you very much for your input.

I met a guy with a toyota 4.7 sequoia who was towing a 4000# trailer and getting 15!!!

I have ordered my wt distributing hitch and will try that. Yes at 10 ft tall i have a big hand coming out of the sky holding me back. i may consider a wind deflector screen on the back of the truck or accessory for the trailer.

Bill
bumperhead_1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 06:40 AM   #4

Don't believe everything you hear. 15 mpg on a Sequoia? I find a lot of people make blanket statements that cannot be backed up. How do they measure their milage? Is it repeatable? Maybe the one time he measured it he had a tail wind the whole way. 12.5 is achievable given the weight of the 189. I get anywhere from 8-14 mpg on mine. A lot has to do with how you drive and how much of a head wind you have, what the terrain is like, etc. I think I am going to order me a device to track the milage as I tow see http://www.plxkiwi.com/ this way I'll know if I can improve it ahead of time.
Old 04-25-2011, 03:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gator
Don't believe everything you hear. 15 mpg on a Sequoia? I find a lot of people make blanket statements that cannot be backed up. How do they measure their milage? Is it repeatable? Maybe the one time he measured it he had a tail wind the whole way. 12.5 is achievable given the weight of the 189. I get anywhere from 8-14 mpg on mine. A lot has to do with how you drive and how much of a head wind you have, what the terrain is like, etc. I think I am going to order me a device to track the milage as I tow see http://www.plxkiwi.com/ this way I'll know if I can improve it ahead of time.
I second that!
Old 04-25-2011, 08:02 PM   #6

15mpg seems possible, if he's towing a flatbed trailer with a load that is low to the ground and/or keeping his speed around 45-50mph.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:03 AM   #7

In the real world no one drives 45-50 mph unless its in town. Covering any significant distance with the 4.7 sequoia and a 4,000 lb load behind while averaging 15mpg is impossible. Sequoia gets that on average without anything attached to it. I'm speaking from experience having had one of those myself.

Best and most accurate way to figure out vehicle gas consumption is to fill up, dont top off when the pump shuts off.

reset your odometer.

you dont have to wait until you're completely out of gas to fill up again, you can refill when you're down to a half or a quarter of a tank.

Again dont top of after pump shuts of. then looking at your odometer devide the number of miles driven by number of gallons of fuel you added to your tank. for instance if you drove 250 miles and at fill up you added 16.458 gallons your average mpg is 15.19

I do this because onboard computers are not necessarly accurate.

So I suppose it might be possible for that guy to achive his claimed 15mpg if he is using a different method to compute mpg and he only traveled 10-15 miles going mostly down hill with the 4000 lb trailer.