Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2012, 01:07 AM   #1

Default Towing

Does anyone tow with the gas fridge and the gas turned on?

Thanks

Old 07-11-2012, 04:41 AM   #2

?
You have to or your food will go bad.
Leave it on auto

2017 Keystone Summerland 1750RD
fourfourto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 12:15 PM   #3

OK the dealer told me to drive with the gas off.

Thank You
Old 07-11-2012, 01:43 PM   #4

If you do a search on the net you can find many, many arguments on both sides of the issue. Just remember, it is against the law to have an open flame going while gasing up and many tunnels through mountains require propane tanks to be off before entering.
Kansas City, MO
Neil.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 04:06 PM   #5

I've never turn off the propane tanks.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:16 PM   #6

Thanks Eagle. First trip out this weekend. I have the same hitch set up, how do you like that with the brake controller. I have a 21OUDS with an F-150.
Old 07-13-2012, 07:45 AM   #7
roy

Maybe I've been lucky never cut mine off in the last 3 years of travel in two different haulers.

WERA Expert #826
roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 07:58 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlegolfer41
Thanks Eagle. First trip out this weekend. I have the same hitch set up, how do you like that with the brake controller. I have a 21OUDS with an F-150.
I did alot of searching on the net reading about hitches and brake controllers before deciding on a product. The user feedback on both were 5 star.

The hitch system works great and does exactly what it is supposed to plus the hookup is simple and easy. And it was recommended by the camper center dealer.

I do like the brake controller, easy mounting, simple to adjust, nice digital readouts and works great.

Old 07-13-2012, 10:28 AM   #9

Yep, it's one of those things that is controversial. I'm in the camp of "I never tow with the propane turned on". More than one travel trailer has had a propane line taken out by a tire coming apart. Do you want all the contents of your propane bottle dumping out through a damaged line ?

Your choice. We all pays our money and takes our chances.

As for the food in the frig, what I do it freeze several 2 liter plastic bottles, and move them into the frig while traveling during the day. It has worked for me. YMMV.
gmw photographics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:16 PM   #10

Yep... A very controversial subject. I'm in the camp of turning the refrigerator on "Auto" and hitting the road. When shore power is available, the system is electric; when shore power isn't available, it runs on gas...that's why it has an "Auto" setting.

As for the danger when refueling...the flame for the refrigerator is more than 2' off the ground and some 20+' away from where the fueling is taking place. Coupled with the new "fume" capture pump nozzles (Federally mandated) and the fact that gas fumes are heavier than air it is virtually impossible to have a combustible fume concentration while fueling at that distance. You have a greater chance of sparking a fire when restarting your vehicle. The starter on your TV is much lower and much closer to whatever fumes there may be. From a physics standpoint the ignition of gas fumes while fueling are virtually nil. If you run a diesel vehicle, it becomes a moot point. The flash point of diesel is such that you would have to spray up inside the refrigerator panel with the fuel nozzle and the refrigerator would actually have to be in the cooling mode.

Concerning tunnels and having to turn off your propane...you will find that the only tunnels that you will encounter that requirement are those that have a center portion lower than the two exits (usually encountered in going under water...). Again, that is because propane fumes are heavier than air and in the event of an accident that may discharge the propane tanks, the propane will settle to the lowest point in the tunnel and will gather close to the ground where the ventilation system cannot dispel them. Many such tunnels will not only require that they be turned off, but, actually ban the transport of LPG at all and alternate routes have to be used (Baltimore Harbor tunnel comes to mind; no propane at all). I've been all over the country and have yet to encounter a tunnel that I had to turn off my propane, with the exception of harbor tunnels on the east coast. I'm sure they are out there, but, in my 15 cross country wanderings, I've never had to turn my propane off.

Most all refrigerator caused fires have been caused by leaking coolant from the refrigerator itself...not the propane that fuels it or the fueling of the tow vehicle. The flame that cools the refrigerator is merely a pilot flame; it isn't a burner assembly like in the water heater, it just heats the pipe with the coolant in it.

IMHO, there is virtually no real danger to running the refrigerator while driving. There is a slightly greater risk when fueling, but, still, in my opinion, of the negligible risk category. Given the height of the flame, if the refrigerator is actually cooling at that very moment, and the distance involved and the other ignition sources available I don't give it any thought and never have, even when towing with a gasser. If I can still breathe while fueling, then, IMHO, there is zero risk of a refrigerator induced fume ignition.

It is a "risk" that exists, but, so is taking a bath (most accidents around the home occur in the bathtub) and it one that you have to analyze and decide on personally. Even the warnings at the pumps only describe an open flame at the fueling point...not a warning about a flame within a radius of any given length.

Again, very controversial and you'll find a lot of "emotion" in the arguments for both sides with very little "fact" concerning them. Until I see signs posted with a legal reference stating "RVs must turn their refrigerators off before entering this gas station", I'll keep mine running and you'll have to make your own personal decision on how you run yours. As for the damage done to a pipe during a tire blowout, even with the refrigerator off, unless the tanks are physically turned off, the propane will still leak out. A tire blowout of sufficient force that takes out the propane line (heave black iron pipe);, the emptying of my two tanks will be the least of my worries Again, a decision that many grapple with, but, ultimately, only you can weigh the risks and variables base on your personal "threshold".

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin :R

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX DP
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB (now gone)
2008 FunFinder X 210WBS (Sadly gone)
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 02:15 PM   #11
Site Team

I run my fridge while towing and have never turned it off at the gas station.

Like Don said, the starter on any vehicle refueling in a gas station is an igntion source at least as big as the refrigerator. And much closer to the pump. That's why boats with inboard engines have special 'spark-proof' marine starters to prevent ignition of the gas fumes that accumulate in the bilge. There have been cases where a marine starter has been replaced with an automotive starter resulting in a fire or explosion, but I've never heard of a fire at a gas station caused by an RV refrigerato.
LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 07:57 AM   #12

When towing with the frig on, about how long can one park along a curb or where the camper is not level without damaging the frig?
Old 07-18-2012, 08:34 AM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle
When towing with the frig on, about how long can one park along a curb or where the camper is not level without damaging the frig?
It won't damage the fridge, but it won't cool as well. The reason it needs to be level is so that liquid ammonia doesn't pool and restict or block the circulation. When you're towing the motion of trailer prevents pooling. You should be able to sit unlevel for a few hours without any major issues.
LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 12:19 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJAZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle
It won't damage the fridge, but it won't cool as well. The reason it needs to be level is so that liquid ammonia doesn't pool and restict or block the circulation. When you're towing the motion of trailer prevents pooling. You should be able to sit unlevel for a few hours without any major issues.
Thanks, that's what I needed to know.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:31 PM   #15

Most refrigerator manuals will give a range of 6 degrees maximum in the front to back position (which on your trailer is side to side). Picture that last 6% grade that you went up...your trailer would have to be tilted on its side that amount before you need to do some serious worrying.

The rule of thumb I always use is, if I can stand and move about comfortably in the trailer (the tilt front to back or side to side is not such that it is terribly uncomfortable or awkward) then the refrigerator should be OK for at least a day. It might suffer some efficiency, but, it shouldn't be damaged. When I had my 210WBS, I routinely set it up at the CG so that it was nose high be 1/2" and curb side high by that same 1/2". Doing that made the A/C drain off the streetside, rear corner and not off the curb side where the sitting and grilling was done. The 5er has a domed roof and two A/C units...I still set it up with the curb side high by about 1/2"...the condensation runs off the front and rear gutters on the street side; again away from our "outdoor living" area. You should aim for fairly level anytime the refrigerator is running, but, it doesn't have to be "engineering" level.

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin :R

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX DP
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB (now gone)
2008 FunFinder X 210WBS (Sadly gone)
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote