Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2012, 01:14 PM   #1

Default towing 189 fbr

Can I safely tow a 189FBR safely with a 2000 toyota tacoma V6? 5000 LB towing capacity

Old 01-27-2012, 02:14 PM   #2

You probably can... To qualify , your weights after loading will probably be very close to what will be "comfortable" towing with a V6 and encroaching on the upper levels of your truck. You'll need to watch your weights since you'll be at the upper range and I would definitely not plan on towing with liquid on board; a few gallons in the freshwater tank for roadside "pit stops" at the most, but, no "full load" of freshwater. That shouldn't be an issue unless you plan on boondocking and if that is your plan, I would tow empty and then look for filling up the fresh water tank on arrival (most places have water available in the immediate area) and I'd also plan on dumping that water before hitting the road to head home.

You don't mention how many of you there are (kids = more per person weight than you'd think) or how long you plan to be gone (length of trip = more "stuff" that you'll pack). Mind your gross weights and realize that the trailer is rated for and can "hide" more weight than your truck is capable of hauling. It will be very easy to look at your trailer and not realize the true weight that it is carrying. The 189FBR is rated for GVWR of over 5800 lbs, almost half a ton more than max on your truck and that max on your truck is for 1 person (the driver), a half tank of fuel and no allowance for any options that you may have gotten on the truck or added after purchase. Anything above that (DW, kids, nerf bars, that spiffy grill protector, stuff in the pick up's bed, etc. will all have to come off of that 5,000 lb tow rating before you ever hook up your trailer. You could easily find that your true "tow rating" is ~4,000 lbs.

Pack light, drive "light" and you should be fine. Not a speed demon on the hills, but, you should arrive safely.

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin :R

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX DP
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB (now gone)
2008 FunFinder X 210WBS (Sadly gone)
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote