Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2019, 08:38 AM   #1

Default Towing 2009 189fbs

Thought I would report on my experience towing our 189fbs on the 350 mile trip from Klamath Falls, OR to Minden, NV. I tow with a 2018 Nissan Frontier 4wd crew cab short bed and got 13 mpg (I get 22 mpg when not towing.) I traveled at 55-58 mph.I installed a friction sway control due to the possible high cross winds from Reno to Minden. I left the sway control loose from Klamath Falls to Reno and had absolutely no sway even when 18 wheelers passed. I attribute this to the dual axels on a small 19 travel trailer. I kept the overdrive off except when going downhill on long grades. Overall, a very pleasant experience. Love my Fun Finder!!

Kfalls189fbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 09:41 AM   #2

Well done! Just curious, though -- why did you leave the sway bar loose? I never loosen mine, except in wet weather and while parking in a campground.

profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 10:34 AM   #3

I left it loose just to check how stable the trailer would be without sway control. Also I had a couple of tight turns to negotiate getting int the gas station in Alturas and I wasn’t sure if the sway control would be a problem. I’m new at this!!
Old 06-06-2019, 10:46 AM   #4

The only time I feel constrained by sway control is in very tight quarters at very slow speeds. Otherwise, I just leave it alone.

And the fact that you had no sway even without the bar means, I think, that your trailer is properly loaded, with more weight in front of the axles than in back.
Old 06-06-2019, 11:48 AM   #5

I have a 189 FBR I tow with a 2002 GMC Envoy. Never had sway control bar and never had an issue with sway. I think the short dual axle trailer tows very well. The longest tow was 500 miles to North Carolina from PA.
team dougherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 08:28 PM   #6

To me, sway control is like earthquake insurance. I hope it's a waste of money! But I carry the insurance and use the sway control. I'm a belt and suspenders person.
Old 06-07-2019, 07:43 PM   #7

We have a 189FBR.... it tows great with my 07 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the diesel engine.

I do not use a load leveling hitch but I DO always use my sway control.... not because the trailer sways...it does not. I use it as a precaution against sway. When sever sway hits you it happens fast and unexpected and when it does, you are often in trouble.

I release my sway bar when parking and in campground because mine is noisy when you turn.
Chirpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 08:06 AM   #8

I can confirm that the 189 dual axle is a very stable and towable unit. I will use the friction sway control as “earthquake insurance “ due to the high crosswinds that often occur in the Reno- Carson area. Thanks to all for the input.
Old 06-08-2019, 10:05 AM   #9

Tow vehicles with short wheel bases are more prone to sway. I tow my 189FBR with a Highlander and even with dual axles I would never tow without some type of sway control. I look at it as cheap insurance.
twinster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 12:15 PM   #10

We used to tow our 189FDS with a 2005 Pathfinder (w/weight distribution and friction anti-sway). Worked well but only got about 10mpg pulling. We did a long trip from Vancouver WA to Glacier NP and even with the anti-sway engaged we had a very scary side wind situation. We where driving a HW section that was cut into a hill (like driving in a small canyon) and when the road exited into a plains area the cross winds took the trailer and pathfinder skidding sideways into oncoming traffic. If i hadn’t been fast to get on the emergency trailer break to straighten things out I believe my family and I would had died that day.

I now tow with a full size truck and never test the wind.
Old 06-16-2019, 12:30 PM   #11

Yikes....scary story.
Chirpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 04:28 PM   #12

When towing my 189FBR with my Highlander, I have never encountered many issues. However I have never past through mountain areas or towed faster than 65 mph (not saying that the OP did that). Cross winds can be an issue, even with the biggest tow vehicles. I've even heard of semi trucks being blown over by wind gusts, especially in the plain states. The moral here is that sometimes its hard to fight nature.

twinster2 is offline   Reply With Quote