Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   FunfinderClub > Fun Finder Tech > Towing and Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-05-2011, 06:19 PM   #1

Default Towing 214 with 4 Runner

We are very close to buying a 2012 214 with TV pkg and tow with a 2006 Toyota 4 Runner 4WD. We have been told by Toyota dealer that the tow capacity is 5000# and that is what is in the owner's manual.
A FF dealer has told us our capacity is 6400# with the 4WD.
Can anyone verify this other higher number?
I read the interesting exchange about the 215 and towing but wanted to ask about our situation.
And the dealer said if we were over 5000# and got into an accident we would be more liable. anyone know about that.

Hope to hear good news. We were planning on ordering this week.
Thanks.

detobias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:18 PM   #2
TCP

Default V8

The 4runner with the V8 was rated for 6400lbs if I recall correctly. Has nothing to do with 4WD, but with the larger engine. The hitch that came on the V6 model is also only rated for 5000lbs. You can easily swap the hitch from a V8 though as it is also rated to use a weight distribution system whereas the stock v6 hitch is not.

TCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 11:42 PM   #3

Default More info

Sorry I did not make it clear we have a V6.
And had talked about getting a weight distribution system if we got the 214.
How easy would it be to swap a V8 hitch, how expensive and are there any downsides?
Would the hitch swap make our towing capacity higher even though we still have the same V6 engine?
Old 07-06-2011, 08:58 AM   #4

Default Follow up

The dealer got back to me and verified the 6400# tow capacity from 2006 Trailer Life rating ( http://www.trailerlife.com/assets/Do...?id=4294968285) which I checked. He thought the 5000# might be the vehicle weight? More confusing. Can anyone shed light in this or give advice. Another dealer said normal cargo with little water should run 600-800# so if 5000# is true that puts us pretty close.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:14 PM   #5
TCP

Default info

Not that wikipedia is 100% reliable, but:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_4Runner

Quote:
The fourth-generation 4Runner incorporated serious changes to the chassis and body of the vehicle, but was targeted at approximately the same demographics as the third generation. Based on the Land Cruiser Prado 120 series, the new 4Runner retained the same basic exterior styling themes, and was still marketed as a mid-size semi-luxury SUV with off-road capabilities. Available trims are currently the SR5, Sport Edition, and Limited models. An all-new LEV certified 4.0 L 1GR-FE V6 is standard, but for the first time, a V8 became available, the ULEV certified 4.7 L 2UZ-FE engine which produces 260 hp (194 kW) and 306 lb·ft (415 N·m) of torque. Towing capacity is 5000 pounds on V6 models and 7300 pounds on RWD V8 models (7000 pounds w/4WD).
I have a copy of the toyota towing guide for 2007 and it shows all 4runners ( including the V8 ) have a 5000lb towing capacity, except for the V8 with the Weight distributing hitch option which is rated for 7000lbs.

The 5000lb hitch is attached to the bumper, whereas the Weight Distributing version attaches to the frame rails as well.

You can download a copy of the 07 towing guide here:

http://www.filehosting.org/file/deta...ng_guide_e.pdf
TCP is offline   Reply With Quote