Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2012, 07:51 AM   #1

Default Towing my XT276

A few weeks ago I picked up my new Fun Finder XT 276 from Apache Camper Center in Omaha, NE.

The experience at Apache was nothing short of wonderful. They went thru everything about the 276 and answered my dumb questions. They also set up the Equalizer hitch on my 04 Dodge Ram 1500, hemi 4x4, AT.

With a 400 mile trip home, I was a bit apprehensive when getting on the road. I have never owned a travel trailer before although some years ago I transported mobile homes for about 10 years....some were 16' wide and up to 85' long.

The Dodge Ram handled the load with ease and the Equalizer hitch functioned perfectly ~ no sway noted even in the rain/wind ~ and the 276 pulled like a dream. Hardly knew it was behind me.

Pleased I am.

Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:48 AM   #2
roy

We pull ours with a 5.7L '10 Toyota Tundra so far it's done the job on the trip home from dealer which was about 90 miles. My mpg average home was 9 mpg at 70 mph. Not bad but probably get better if I slowed down to 60 which I plan to do.

The XT276 pulls good. I'm using a Equilizer hitch rated at 12,000# with sway. I went high on the hitch die to the 276's high tongue weight. It's easy to over load your trucks payload with the 276's heavy tongue weight do throw everything you can in the hauler.

My rig hooked up and loaded with two motorcycles and necessary camping junk.

WERA Expert #826
roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 04:31 PM   #3

Roy,
I asked about going with the heavier bars on the Equalizer w/sway control but was assured the 1,000# bars were all that was needed. The unit sits correctly with the truck for weight distribution.

Pulling the 276 cut my mileage down by about 4 - 5 mpg but there was no lack of power when I put my foot down. I ran between 65-75 and slowing would probably help but leaving a noon for 400 miles, wanted to get home before dark.

I will be loading one Harley Ultra Classic in the garage which will more than offset any cargo loaded in front of the axles.

I opted to mount the Condor wheel chock on the drivers side or high side of the toy hauler. From what I read, that is the recommended location for a single motorcycle. I wish the forward floor tie down rings were located about 6" further forward ..... but may just add another set so the tie down straps don't rub on the lower fairings. With the bike loaded, there is only about 4" clearance between the bike and ramp door when it's closed. A close fit.

BTW: My Dodge is white too ~ so connected, looks about like your rig. If I can get the wife to post a picture will show you .... I'm not that computer smart.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:37 PM   #4
roy

I am using the Pitbull strapless restraint on the left side which I can put either my Yamaha Super Tenere 1200, DR650 dual sport or my GSX-R1000. On the right I am using a Pingel about 1' back from the walk through door. There we either have a DR200 dual sport or Zuma 125 scooter. i will eventually add another Pitbull strapless restraint on the right side so I can haul my GSXR and Tenere at the same time without using tie down straps. It all fit in there pretty good but I do not like that sloped floor section on the tail. As for the tie down hooks I'm not using them with my Pitbull restraint system only on the dual sports or scooter. and they seem to be located ok for that. I also roll my EU3000 generator in between the bikes on the very tail and tie it off with ratchet straps. So far all is secure.

As for the hitch I went over kill there but it only cost me maybe $50 more to upgrade to the 1,200# hitch. The weight of two bikes does offset the hitch weight about 1" up when loaded. In return I don't have to crank the tension bars up that tight on the hitch and that makes it easier since I don't have to extreme jack up the rear of the truck to swing the bars in place. 80% of my cargo weight is in the rear past rear axle. Most everything in the forward storage compartment is not heavy items.

Like I said I've had to fix a few things and we have never went anywhere in it yet. cheaper for me to fix it than haul it back 90 miles for a warranty claim. We purchased a 5 year extended warranty for the big stuff that breaks. So far my electric stabilizers have all froze up and I had to spray electrical cleaner into the motors. Two had wires rubbing on the spindle shaft and wore into. If you have those you can pop the black plastic cover off the end to check. Seems to be a little shoddy assembly work going on at Cruiser RV IMO. I have had to seal a rear flood light and front driving light to keep water out. My door locks did not work with provided keys, dealer mailed me new locks and I installed. My electric tongue jack does not sound encouraging so it may give trouble down the road. It has a manual over ride just pop the rubber plug out of the top. I have a two screw heads popped off on the exterior skin near rear big door. Rear ramp door drags on the upper left corner. One lamp in the forward cabin near bed does not work and its the switch that is broken. Weird how all this is wrong when we ordered it and were the first people in it at the lot. Other than those few things it's ready to use.

WERA Expert #826
Old 05-09-2012, 08:06 AM   #5

Thanks for the response Roy.
I read up again on the Condor and only two straps are required on the rear of the motorcycle, pulling forward to hold the front wheel securely into the Condor. They say one can add to additional straps frp, the front forks, crash bars or handlebars for added security. Considering the investment in the Ultra Classic, that is what I will do. I'd be very upset to open the ramp door and find the bike had fell over.

I have the Honda EU 2000i generator and the companion EU 2000i as didn't want to run short on power if boondocking. Not sure if I'll secure them in the back of the TH or load them in the bed of the pickup ~ which will be empty.

Like you, less expensive for me to fix something than travel 400 miles to the dealer. I secured some of the wires under the unit with nylon tie straps (don't like things dangling); eliminated a kink in the rubber gas line beside the front step that feeds the hot water heater; mouse proofed where lines/wires/cables go thru the floor with fine steel wool and spray foam (there were openings); re-torqued the wheel lug bolts & Equalizer hitch bolts; lubed all the keyed locks so they work easier; but otherwise, all seems good so far. Will know if everything else is OK after our first outing.

I didn't get the electric stabilizers ~ figured to keep it simple and use my cordless drill to run the standard ones up and down. I did get the Microwave/convection option. Wife gets to figure out how it works.

Mine came with a socket & crank to run the hitch jack if the electric motor fails. And another one that fits the stabilizers but the elect drill w/socket is quicker and easier.

Have a great day.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:33 PM   #6

Eagle

My bike is a 2010 Honda goldwing, which weighs about the same as the ultra classic. I use a condor chock, and two straps connected the the forward floor anchors. Initially I installed the floor mount for the chock on the drivers side of the trailer. I did not like the way the trailer handled with that much weight to one side. I have now installed a second floor mount dead center, but I have not yet hauled the bike with the new configuration. I am sure it will handle better.

I also came up with a solution for the slanted garage floor. I made two 4 ft. X 2 ft. wedges out of plywood, which when in place the floor is flat. Put the carpet over it and you cant tell the floor is slanted.

If I can figure out how to post photos I will.
greg 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:10 AM   #7

greg,

Could you please explain how the trailer handled poorly with the bike loaded on the drivers side? I haven't hauled the bike in mine yet.

I figured the factory had balanced - side to side - the load within the unit by having the slide on the drivers side and the frig/stove/microwave/furnace on the opposite side. Some forums said to load the bike on the high or drivers side of the toy hauler so that is what I did.

Actually the slanted floor in the garage isn't a big deal for me but didn't think it was necessary unless with some units it would interfere with loading due to limited ground clearance of the toys. With my bike in the Condor chock, the rear tire sits a fraction of an inch forward of the downward slope.

Your idea with the wedges is great for those that want a flat floor in the garage area!

Thanks for sharing.
Old 05-10-2012, 04:58 PM   #8

Eagle,

When hitting a bump,or more so, a dip in the road, the trailer seemed to bounce heavier to that side. I noticed this by looking through the out side mirror. everything felt ok inside the truck. I have a tendency to look through the mirrors after hitting such bumps, dips or potholes. as I said I have not hauled the bike since I installed the center floor bracket, but when the garage is empty I have not noticed this.

The reason I wanted the garage floor level is because I have small grand children, and they play back there sometime.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:20 AM   #9

greg

Ok, I follow on the off set load and bounce on the springs. I will have to watch for that and see how mine handles.

If so, maybe I could add a set of 'helper springs' that bolt onto the leaf springs to give the loaded side more support. Just a thought instead of moving the Condor.
Old 05-14-2012, 05:46 PM   #10

Eagle

I went to the condor website and ordered another floor bracket, which include all of the mounting hardware. I placed that bracket in the center, now I have two brackets on the floor. A lot cheaper then leaf spring helpers.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:31 AM   #11

greg
Yes, I know one can get just the floor bracket for the Condor but was concerned about the door from the bathroom into the garage banging into the bike.
Old 05-15-2012, 05:32 PM   #12

Well with the chock in the center, the door will not open. My bike does not stay in the trailer. When we get to our destination the bike and the chock are removed. the only time the door is blocked is while traveling.

This made me think of another tip. Where the two bathroom doors hit the cabinet when opened into the kitchen and garage, I put little rubber bumpers on the cabinets, now the door's hit the bumper, quietly. I purchased these at lowe's in the area where they sell the furniture pads.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:08 AM   #13

greg,

Ok, understand about keeping the door closed when the bike is in the center located mount.

Good tip on the door bumpers. I did the same thing and used the small round clear bumpers like put on the back side of pictures. You hardly notice them.
Old 05-16-2012, 01:32 PM   #14
roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle
greg,

Ok, understand about keeping the door closed when the bike is in the center located mount.

Good tip on the door bumpers. I did the same thing and used the small round clear bumpers like put on the back side of pictures. You hardly notice them.
I did the same thing with clear bumpers this past weekend.

I haul two motorcycles at a time typically. the PitBull is on the left side and positions that side bikes 3" from the front wall. I use a pingel on the right side 1' back from front wall. On the right side a zuma scooter or small dual sport fits just right and we can still open the door and gain access.

Y'alls one bike is bigger than any of my two bike combinations. My yamaha super Tenere is my largest bike at 7'-6" long and right at 600#. so far my arrangement is working good and I still have ample room to move around and in between each bike when loaded. I still don't like that sloped rear floor.

WERA Expert #826
Old 05-17-2012, 03:37 PM   #15

Roy

My bike is 8' 8" long the garage is 9' long (do the math) not much extra room. before buying the trailer, the salesman allowed me to put the bike in the garage to be sure it would fit. I am trying to add some photos to this post. I hope it work's.

having trouble getting the photos to a smaller size. I sent this one so that you can see how I evened out the floor. hope it helps.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:25 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy
We pull ours with a 5.7L '10 Toyota Tundra so far it's done the job on the trip home from dealer which was about 90 miles. My mpg average home was 9 mpg at 70 mph. Not bad but probably get better if I slowed down to 60 which I plan to do.

The XT276 pulls good. I'm using a Equilizer hitch rated at 12,000# with sway. I went high on the hitch die to the 276's high tongue weight. It's easy to over load your trucks payload with the 276's heavy tongue weight do throw everything you can in the hauler.

roy

Here is a picture of my rig with the XT276 on the way home from the dealer.

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-...73499630_n.jpg
Old 05-25-2012, 08:50 PM   #17
roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle
Quote:
Originally Posted by roy

Looking good!!

roy

Here is a picture of my rig with the XT276 on the way home from the dealer.

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-...73499630_n.jpg

WERA Expert #826
Old 06-05-2012, 06:15 PM   #18

Default hauling

Have you dry camped and hauled fully loaded yet. Looking at new Truck would love another Tundra just not sure if it will haul it totally loaded water and toy`s.
PattyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 06:13 AM   #19
roy

Default Re: hauling

Quote:
Originally Posted by PattyV
Have you dry camped and hauled fully loaded yet. Looking at new Truck would love another Tundra just not sure if it will haul it totally loaded water and toy`s.
Oh yea it'll haul it loaded with full fresh water, black tank half full, full size motorcycle and a scooter with all your camping gear. I climbed a few 8% long grades with it and never lost speed going up. I am not the least concerned pulling with my tundra it's got the power to do it. Now payload is another story. Like most half ton trucks 1400-1600 lbs is it so after adding 1000 on the tongue minus what the wdh takes back two normal size adults your at that. We don't put anything in the truck its all inside the camper. Truck does great. Worst tank was 8.8 mpg at about 70 mph best was 9.6 mpg at 60-65 mph with rolling hills not much flat land. Truck stays in 5th gear 90% of the time 6th gear on flat land. Both are OD gears and I use the tow haul button all the time that way the truck does the thinking for what's the best gear to use. I use the sequential shift on long down hills to utilize engine braking. Very pleased with the truck and the camper as a unit.

WERA Expert #826
Old 06-06-2012, 07:09 AM   #20

LIke roy said above and my Dodge 1500 w/hemi and AT does just fine loaded ~ including my Harley Davidson Ultra Classic in the garage.

Whatever tow vehicle you consider purchasing, check the mfg specifications for towing capacity. The towing capacity between brands of 1/2 ton pickups varies alot and changes with the gear ratio. Higher gear ratio = lower tow rating. Lower gear ratio = higher tow rating.