Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2016, 10:59 AM   #1

Default Towing speed limits

Hi all,
In reading threads regarding gas mileage, tire selection, towing safety, etc., I still see folks wanting tow as fast as the cars drive... 70 and even 80 mph.

I thought I would remind everyone that towing speeds in most of the U.S. is still limited to a maximum speed of 65 mph... If a person remembers this and tows at 65 mph or less, he/she will likely enjoy a more relaxed ride, better fuel mileage, and better control in the case of an emergency, remember that "Trailer Tire" manufacturers, even though their tires may safely roll at higher speeds, they recommend speeds of 65 mph or less...

There are different limits for towing and different trailers, it would be best to know the limits in the states you are traveling... According to AAA, the towing speed limit on Primary highways in S.D. is 75, but a number of states limit towing speeds to 65 or even 55, and some states even restrict vehicles to towing in the right lane of 2 and 3 lane highways and the two right lanes on highways with 4 or more lanes...
http://www.onlinetowingguide.com/pdf...TowingLaws.pdf
Trailer Speed Limits - AAA Digest of Motor Laws

Have a Happy and Safe Towing and Camping 2017 to all....

2013 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4X4 MAX Tow Package
2018 Dutchman, Coleman Lite 1805RB
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 11:29 AM   #2

Folks who use LT tires, which don't have the same speed limits as ST, sometimes go faster than 65. I use ST tires (which are strictly limited to 65), on the theory that the tire manufacturers must know something that I don't about the special needs of trailers -- supposedly the sidewalls are heavier, to deal with the squirmy nature of trailer towing, I think.

I tow around 62 mph, max -- that is what my truck seems to want, and I am not going to argue with the transmission.

profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 12:12 PM   #3

In South Dakota the speed limit on the interstate highways increased to 80 MPH in 2015 and the minimum speed remained at 40 MPH. For trucks, the interstate speed limit is 70 MPH.

Secondary roads vary from 55 to 70 MPH with signage posted.

Trailer towing speed limit is 65 MPH on secondary roads and 75 MPH on interstate highways.

Tandem towing is permitted as towing a camper and a boat behind the tow vehicle. The maximum length cannot exceed 75' with the last unit not to exceed 24' in length.

I generally tow between 60 - 65 MPH to avoid exceeding the speed limit of the ST tires on the camper.

https://www.yourmechanic.com/article...alerie-mellema

South Dakota Trailer Laws & Regulations Look-Up - Trailers.com - Shop Cargo, Utility, Equipment, & Enclosed Trailers
Old 12-31-2016, 08:49 AM   #4

According to John's AAA link in Michigan you can tow a trailer the same speed as the vehicle towing it. Our freeway speed limit in most places is still 70 or below. But we never tow above 65.

This is confusing to me...
"TRAILER DIMENSIONS
Total length: 65 feet; trailer length: 28 feet 6 inches; motor home length: 45 feet; width: 8 feet 6 inches (excludes appurtenances for motor homes); height: 13 feet 6 inches."
It's a big world...explore it!!!
Michigantraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 09:26 AM   #5

They say that "you can tow a trailer the same speed as the vehicle towing it?" I would think that if there is much difference between the two, that would be a serious problem.

Just having fun. I do understand the rule, but be sure to look at the tire ratings on the trailer!
Old 12-31-2016, 09:36 AM   #6

Poor wording on my part.

Actually it says
"TRAILER SPEED LIMITS

A person driving a passenger vehicle pulling another vehicle or trailer shall not exceed the posted speed limit."
So to me it says that the trailer speed limit is the same as the tow vehicle.

Really.
Old 12-31-2016, 09:45 AM   #7

I did understand what you meant -- I was just fooling around. And no, it was not poor writing on your part.
Old 12-31-2016, 10:25 AM   #8

But it sounds kind of silly saying you shouldn't go over the speed limit while pulling a trailer.
Do you get the Trailer Dimensions part?
Old 12-31-2016, 10:47 AM   #9
APD

We avoid the interstates because of the speeds. On the two-lanes I will sometimes "push it" a little over 55 to 60/65 down hill as I prepare for a upcoming long climb. But most of the time we just loafer along so we can look around more.
BTW: I'm very cautious to keep an eye on the mirrors in case I'm holding up drivers who, for whatever reason, are in a bigger rush. I will look for a pull over spot if I have a tailgater. Being small, the pull overs are pretty easy to find and those people need someone to look out for 'em.....
1994 GMC Camper Van,
APD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 11:08 AM   #10

We do the same.
Old 12-31-2016, 12:04 PM   #11

I've thought about rigging up a programmable electric signboard on the back of my trailer --"Yes, I see you, White Pickup Truck, and I'm looking for a place to pull over so you can pass. I can't go over 60."

"Please, Blue Sedan, I would like to move over to the right one lane -- could you ease off the gas for a moment?"

"Could I ask you please not to tailgate? This is a two lane highway, and we are in a no-passing zone. I will pull to the right as soon as I can."

This signboard is technologically feasible right now. And it would give my wife something to do while we are chugging slowly along the highway -- typing messages for the poor folks stuck behind us.
Old 12-31-2016, 12:11 PM   #12

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by profdant139 View Post
I've thought about rigging up a programmable electric signboard on the back of my trailer --"Yes, I see you, White Pickup Truck, and I'm looking for a place to pull over so you can pass. I can't go over 60."

"Please, Blue Sedan, I would like to move over to the right one lane -- could you ease off the gas for a moment?"

"Could I ask you please not to tailgate? This is a two lane highway, and we are in a no-passing zone. I will pull to the right as soon as I can."

This signboard is technologically feasible right now. And it would give my wife something to do while we are chugging slowly along the highway -- typing messages for the poor folks stuck behind us.
When we traveled the country in 1990 with our big Ford F-250 diesel and big fifth wheel I always felt bad for the people behind us in the mountains as the truck belched big black smoke clouds behind us while climbing the grades. I really didn't like the diesel much other than for fuel economy. It made way too much noise and was smelly.
Old 12-31-2016, 03:53 PM   #13
APD

Talking

Quote:

HA! LOL
I've thought about a spare cover that said, "Stay Back-Contagious Disease Unit"!
But I guess it wouldn't be too popular around the campground......then again....... fellow campers might want one of their own!
1994 GMC Camper Van,
APD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 07:27 AM   #14

People tend to ride up on you and you cant see them.

If they get close the can read my plate
Attached Thumbnails
024.jpg  
2017 Keystone Summerland 1750RD
fourfourto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 03:02 PM   #15

Default Towing speed limits

Ha, ha, ha!! Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to matter to folks, either! Some will still follow too close just because they are born jerks!
Old 01-02-2017, 08:29 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourfourto View Post
People tend to ride up on you and you cant see them.

If they get close the can read my plate
I like that!! Lol!
Old 07-16-2018, 07:14 PM   #17

After towing 5th wheels and travel trailers for 14 years, my speed is determined by how fast I think it will take to stop. I've had Diesels and gas trucks. They all take about the same effort to stop in an emergency when towing a camper.
Be safe my friends.
poppys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 12:46 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas newbie View Post
Ha, ha, ha!! Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to matter to folks, either! Some will still follow too close just because they are born jerks!

That and you can't educate stupid.
Old 07-18-2018, 06:26 AM   #19

Quote:

team dougherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 01:49 PM   #20

Looks like an invitation to road rage.

Chirpz is offline   Reply With Quote