Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2021, 07:40 AM   #1

Default Towing with 2004 Silverado

Hope y'all can give me some advice. I have 2004 Silverado 2WD 4.3 V6 towing a 2010 189FDS. Have been out a few times with no problems, but they have been short trips, I stay at 55mph or below and have yet to drive on interstate. My friend who was with me when I bought the truck specifically as a tow vehicle for the TT said it would handle it, no problem. But after reading many posts re: towing, I'm not so sure. Thoughts?

Jamie52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 08:43 AM   #2

A quick Google search shows your truck can tow about 4400 lbs max, and the trailer is about 3200 dry (no cargo.) You have to factor in water, propane, food, bedding, etc...

I'd say you're fine, especially since you don't exceed 60mph. As long as you have a good hitch system, brake controller and maintain the tires and truck.

If it's like my old Jeep Wrangler V6, you'll struggle a bit uphill. I could only go 60-65mph. I eventually went with a Gladiator and upped the capacity from 3500 to 6000... but I still tow my little 2000lb T139 so I'm not taxing the vehicle too much.

What specifically has you worried?

Xerofall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 09:24 AM   #3

Do you know whether your truck has the towing package? A transmission cooler is a great thing, especially if you plan to go to the mountains.
Old 06-20-2021, 11:13 AM   #4

If that Chevy has the 5-speed manual trans, you might want to experiment with gear selection vs. fuel economy and performance.* IIRC, the 5-speed in yours is an overdrive transmission so you may find it tows better at 55 or 60 in 4th rather than 5th. The Vortec V6 doesn't make a lot of horsepower but it has decent torque and a fairly wide torque band so it should give you acceptable performance. An oil cooler and, as Profdan says, a separate, external transmission oil cooler are good things to have.

I'd also recommend a weight distribution/anti sway hitch. You trailer is fairly light but that hitch gives other advantages including keeping the entire rig level and, obvii, avoiding most cross-wind bobbing and weaving.

[* FWIW, my 2013 with the towing package has a 6-speed automatic. Towing in "tow mode" has always been a trial so I've found better efficiency and less high revving in lower gears simply by selecting 5th and leaving it there.]
2013 GMC Sierra
NorthPuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 02:03 PM   #5

I believe your truck is rated to tow 5000 lb with the 4 speed automatic. Keep the transmission in 3rd, it's a lot easier on the transmission and it really can't pull in 4th anyway. You should be ok, but don't have much reserve. You should have a weight distribution hitch and trailer brakes.
Dleit53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 03:55 AM   #6

Thank you!
Old 06-21-2021, 03:57 AM   #7

Thank you - I appreciate your response!
Old 06-21-2021, 03:30 PM   #8

I'm towing an 189FDS with a 2007 Nissan Frontier 4.0 L for almost 2 years now with no problems. Truck does have a trans cooler and this past winter I did add an anti-sway bar. Living in Vancouver, Canada we are just on the edge of rocky mountains and yes, little slow going up the long hills but she makes it. Perhaps of interest had my gross combined weight check at a CAT scale in washington state when we were fully loaded, water, camping gear, gas and the weight was 9780 lbs. Nissan owners manual lists max at 11,133 lbs. Trailer axle was 3860 lbs.
whatme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 06:10 AM   #9

Thank you!