Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2013, 02:28 PM   #1
uct

Default wdh required

I just bought a used 210 x I tow with a full size gmc z -71 pickup. Should I purchase a wdh and if so what are some recommendations Thanks

uct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:54 AM   #2

IMHO, almost any vehicle will derive benefit from the modern versions of WDHs that are being produced now. Your TV may or may not need the "support" of a WDH, but, even class IV hitches found on most trucks have a vertical load limit (tongue weight) when a non-WDH is used and usually the tongue weight limit goes up if a WDH is used, you'll have to check your truck's documentation to be sure.

The biggest advantage in today's WDH devices is the added suppression of sway. Virtually every version of WDH has sway mitigating devices built into the hitch and for that reason alone, I recommend having one. While your truck may be fine without a WDH for a <2,000 lbs utility trailer, almost any trailer above 2500 lbs (basically any trailer that requires brakes) will be a more stable tow with some form of sway prevention.

So, IMHO, yes you should get a WDH As for brand? I'm partial (if you look at some of my other posts on this site, you'll see) to the Equal-i-zer brand and for most of the CruiserRV line, I recommend the 1K bars. To be honest, most all of the manufacturers make a good unit, if you gloss over the "cheapies" (you do get what you pay for in hitches). There are "ubber" fancy centerline type hitches out there that you can spend thousands of dollars on, but, unless you are towing really, really large with a borderline TV, I feel they are over-kill unless you just want bragging rights... I found the Equal-i-zer easy to hook up (no chains to fight with), easy to adjust, good at sway prevention and very easy to maintain. You'll just have to look to see what's available and choose one based on what you like.

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin :R

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX DP
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB (now gone)
2008 FunFinder X 210WBS (Sadly gone)
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:50 AM   #3
M&M

Hi,
We towed our 210WBS with a full sized Chevy K-1500 pickup that had Air Lift on it, but no weight distributing hitch. We could easily level the pickup with the Air Lift. I seemed to work well, but we were lucky enough not to have to encounter any need for violent maneuvers and didn’t tow very many miles. The front end of the pickup weighed 220 lbs. less with the trailer hitched than it did not hitched, which worried me some, especially if I were to hit a big dip in the road.
When we traded pickups, we did not add Air Lift, but instead got an Equalizer Hitch and an electric tongue jack. This works well and especially reduces the pitching when encountering a dip in the road.
These hitches to add weight to the outfit and are more work to hitch up, but are probably worth it from a safety stand point.
Equal-i-zer 600/6000 hitch
M&M is offline   Reply With Quote