Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2015, 05:32 PM   #1

Send a message via MSN to Hammykat Send a message via Yahoo to Hammykat
Default What should I buy to tow a 16 ft with?

I just got a 16 ft fun finder and wan to travel for a year in it . Would like a van for more room , but not sire it can pull . Most are front wheel drive . Trailer I weight is. dry weight 2175 lbs., GVWR 3690 lbs, hitch weight 225 lbs. can anybody help ,tell me what would be best to pull that would get the best mph on gas , but still do the job ? I'm hoping to buy something 2008 or newer .

Old 08-06-2015, 10:25 PM   #2

IF you want a van, it should have a tow capacity around 4,400 lbs and that alone will cut your options.

I haven't looked at vans so no idea which one may fit the bill...if any.,

Old 08-08-2015, 11:45 AM   #3

Idk if it will help but I'll tell you my experience towing my 189. I had a jeep Cherokee rated to tow 5000lb. I had my camper weighted when I purchased it. Empty it weighted 2600lbs. If I stayed on fairly flat roads it was perfectly fine. Once I was trying to go up hills on the highway I was down to 25mph. After towing with that jeep I feel it would never been able to safely tow 5000lbs. IMO I'd say get a full size suv or pickup. Better to have overkill then just enough when towing. I purchased a 1500 silverado and it's the best desision that I made. Also from what I've heard, to have vans get better gas milage they increased the number of gear in the trans. More shifting means more heat from friction. So they dropped the tow rating to accommodate the transmission. Auto companes made the van into just people haulers now, not viable tow vehicles.
Old 08-08-2015, 05:42 PM   #4

Our 3.0L V-6 Eco Diesel Ram has gotten over 30 mpg and it weighs over 6,200 lbs. It produces more torque than the Hemi V-8 and makes its peak torque (420 lbs-ft) at 2,000 rpm. It routinely averages between 24 and 26 mpg (not towing). It's also rated to tow 7,800 lbs and can get about 14 mpg towing our 6,000 lb Fun Finder 214 WSD (fully loaded) if driven conservatively.

No .... wait a minute ..... we sold it today (the Fun Finder that is)

Old 04-08-2016, 07:21 AM   #5

Hakikuba sounds like a possible robot post -- very late to the game, just joined, a nonsense posting -- no offense if you are a real person!
profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 10:48 PM   #6

I have a Diesel GMC Canyon long wheel base. Just took a ff 214wsd on a trial tow and like the results 16mpg mostly level streets. Tows 7700. The WD Hitch is key.
K.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 02:50 PM   #7

Guys, come on. We are talking about a single axle 16 foot trailer. The OP does not need a pickup truck to tow it. A FWD Grand Caravan with a tow package will tow it just fine since it has a 3600 tow capacity. I tow my 189 FBR just fine with a Toyota Highlander and Weigh Distribution hitch and it tows just fine on even moderately heavy hills and feels locked in even with cross winds. Sure my setup gets sucky mileage (11 mpg) but everyone gets that kind of mileage towing. Just keep the 16 footer light (under 2800 pounds) and a mini-van is big enough to actually break some of the wind resistance. If you want, you could actually go to a full size van with a big six or V8 if you want a little more power.
twinster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 12:37 AM   #8

I've seen a Grand Caravan towing pretty good, a smaller trailer though but it is very capable.
microJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 05:03 PM   #9
APD

I tow a small rig with a full size van. A lot of vans are powerful enough and large enough.
However, if the van is loaded to the gills with people (which is sometimes why people want a van) it can seriously affect it's towing capabilities.
The load inside the van has to be considered and drivers will not always think of the weight of passengers as cargo. Four adults can alone be as much as 800 pounds. With camping gear, clothes, etc. the total can top a half ton pretty quick.
Not that everyone with a van does that, just saying that having all that room doesn't mean you can fill it up and still tow the limit.
1994 GMC Camper Van,
APD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 01:52 AM   #10

Default What?

Seriously, the question I would ask is how will you be using/towing your camper?

Weekend trips, one-way less than 200 miles? Mostly flat? Get just about anything mentioned with a tow capacity that will cover it.

Cross-country, 400 miles/day driving, through/over mountain ranges, grades of 4 percent up/down? Get something with power/torque. Those long drives and steep grades work the engine and test the brakes.

It's a valid question, but more information would be helpful.
runner421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 11:39 AM   #11

As I've said before, your max possible trailer weight should not exceed 75% of your vehicle's max tow rating. And that is assuming it has "trailering" upgrades, such as a full blown "trailer/tow" package, or added on equivalent. eg. upgraded cooling ability, brakes, suspension, etc.

Years ago I wore out a couple of vehicles that were capable of towing, but lacked the real ability. Ask around, the 75% rule is pretty universal.
I learned he hard way.
Old 03-10-2017, 04:06 PM   #12

Default "True 'dat"

True to Diver Rick -

I had a "big" Nissan Titan V8 rated to tow something like 9,500lbs. So I'm sure it would handle a small 210-UDS travel travel.

Yeah - to/from the local KOA.

After the first cross country trip. Not so bad. Then she started showing her endurance. The Rockies, the Donner Pass, the Siskyou Pass. Slow to 45mpg crawling uphill. Small ladies with walkers beating us to the summit. Ugh.
First I "smoked" the left rear main seal (axle), and heat stressed/cracked the right engine exhaust manifold. Repaired.
One year later on the cross country trip, no lie, right rear main seal leaking and a cracked left engine exhaust manifold.
I'm "hard" on my tow vehicle, I expect a lot. It couldn't deliver, though it was rated to tow more.

Again-depends on what you're going to use it for. Local trips, occasional long trips, or annual endurance cross-country trips.
runner421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 08:59 AM   #13

I have a 2008 Fund Finder X 16'.

I pull it with a 1996 Cadillac Deville. I did replace the rear shocks with heavy duty outside spring assist.
It pulls just fine using an ad-on sway bar.
I drive 65 and enjoy the ride.
Hotwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 09:19 AM   #14

Cool!! A Caddy pulling a trailer -- maybe post photos??
Old 12-24-2017, 12:43 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by runner421 View Post
True to Diver Rick -

I had a "big" Nissan Titan V8 rated to tow something like 9,500lbs. So I'm sure it would handle a small 210-UDS travel travel.

Yeah - to/from the local KOA.

After the first cross country trip. Not so bad. Then she started showing her endurance. The Rockies, the Donner Pass, the Siskyou Pass. Slow to 45mpg crawling uphill. Small ladies with walkers beating us to the summit. Ugh.
First I "smoked" the left rear main seal (axle), and heat stressed/cracked the right engine exhaust manifold. Repaired.
One year later on the cross country trip, no lie, right rear main seal leaking and a cracked left engine exhaust manifold.
I'm "hard" on my tow vehicle, I expect a lot. It couldn't deliver, though it was rated to tow more.

Again-depends on what you're going to use it for. Local trips, occasional long trips, or annual endurance cross-country trips.

From your post, sounds like the total issue was with a Nissan Titan.

The top 3 rated vehicles for 'towability' are Ford, Cheby and Dodge Ram.

Old 12-25-2017, 08:56 AM   #16
APD

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotwife View Post
I have a 2008 Fund Finder X 16'.

I pull it with a 1996 Cadillac Deville. I did replace the rear shocks with heavy duty outside spring assist.
It pulls just fine using an ad-on sway bar.
I drive 65 and enjoy the ride.
The '96 Deville could be purchased with an optional trailer towing package that would raise their tow rating up to 3000lbs. Not the usual towing rig for sure.......
1994 GMC Camper Van,
APD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 05:12 PM   #17

With any vehicle used for towing, a bigger engine is helpful but a lower gear ratio in the differential is more important....generally 4.00 - 4.88 gears.
Old 07-25-2018, 06:01 PM   #18

I gave our grand caravan a real workout today. decided to see what it could really do if I pushed it. On Monday we drove up to Cloudcroft from Las Cruces. kind of dumb, because the temperature outside when we left was 107*. I didn't push it on the way, in fact I had my doubts about even driving in that heat. There are two mountain passes to be concerned about on the way. the Organ Mt. pass and the road from Alamogordo to Cloudcroft. On the way there, the temp gauge got up to 3/4 going over the first pass and I was worried. after that it went back to normal-1/2.
Now the road from Alamogordo to Cloudcroft gains 4000' elevation in 17 miles, so it is a real workout for anything. before the climb, the temps were cooler, because of the elevation of Alamogordo. the van made it, pulling the grade comfortably between 35-40. So on the way home it was much cooler, and the first 30 or so miles are downhill. I decided to see how the van did trying to keep around 60. I noticed if I selected the gear, the van still decided when to upshift and also within a gear I could feel the torque converter changing the "gear" as it's supposed to. I held 60 pretty easily, the day was cooler and there was very light wind. the pass over the Organ Mts. is longer headed home (west). When I hit that grade, I had to work harder to keep the van at 60, then 50 and by really pushing it, I could get over that pass about 40. It was too hard on the van, but it would have done it. the temp gauge also climbed to 3/4, but this time I had the dash readout giving the coolant and oil temps. the highest it got was 231, which unless I'm mistaken, isn't critical.

bottom line? I wouldn't tow anything one inch bigger than our tiny 14' tongue to back bumper t139. actual weight at the scales with some water, a battery and propane is 2100# tongue weight is 215# it tows nice and steady, no sway or bounce. Just have to be slow and patient. and maybe that's ok.

And like Profdan first told me, it isn't the best if you want to travel a lot, and who doesn't!!

But we have it, and haven't owned it over a year yet. we may be dipping into the old 401k to get another tow vehicle. I believe we can continue to tow with it, without harm or lack of safety. But I want to go faster without a worry. (if that is even ever possible)
Hilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 05:18 PM   #19

If your van did that climb in that kind of heat, I would bet that you are good to go. That was an exciting story, for those of us who tow with less-than-massive vehicles!!
Old 07-27-2018, 05:52 PM   #20

well, I test drove a 2005 4runner today. it has a 4L V6 engine and I could really tell a difference in the gearing between it and the van. I think we are going to go ahead and get it, it just feels better.

Hilda is offline   Reply With Quote