Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2015, 01:26 PM   #1

Default Who is towing with a 2001 Chevy Tahoe

I'm looking to get suggestions on how to outfit this 5.3l automatic TV. I'm pulling a 2011 SFx189.

I already have the ele brake installed. Also I have the WDH.

So now just looking for what others have done to protect the pull vehicle to last.

thanks for your help and ideas

lennyk

greenmtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 02:01 PM   #2

Typically, an oil cooler is always a good addition if you don't already have one. Also, if you are towing a lot, I find it best to do the oil changes a bit more frequently than I would otherwise. I'm not sure what the weight of your trailer is but as long as you have tongue weight between 10 and 15%, you should be just fine with a 5.3L automatic tow vehicle.

Old 06-28-2015, 09:18 PM   #3
Site Team

If you have the tow package you should be fine. The tow package will include a heavy duty alternator, larger radiator and transmission cooler. As previously mentioned towing a trailer will require more frequent maintenance. Check the owners manual it should indicate the proper maintenance intervals for trailer towing. FWIW I towed my X210 with a a 99 Tahoe with no issues.
LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 08:33 PM   #4

Honestly I think you would be fine pulling an 189 as long as the Tahoe is solid mechanically and has been we'll maintained. But if you want to help it out more then you could add an oil cooler (if it doesn't have one already) and a Trans cooler if you don't have one. If you already have a Trans cooler you could replace it with a bigger one. Heat is a transmission's worst enemy. Other wise just take it easy while towing, if your towing often perform your regular maintenance alittle sooner, and keep an eye on your brakes. I've found typically front brakes will last about 40k miles not towing. I was pulling my 2003 189 with a jeep Cherokee (not the grand cherokee). It pulled and stopped perfectly fine (has a bunch of mods to it) but couldn't keep my speed up on a highway with hills. Decided it was too dangers for a hilly high. So i purchased a 5.3l silverado with a towing package and I can accelerate up highway hills if I want to.
Old 07-01-2015, 11:54 AM   #5

Thanks to all of the replies.
I believe there is a tranni cooler incorporated in the radiator. Right?
I'm thinking of another extra tranni cooler that would work on a thermoset running inline with the old one. Any ideas about that?
I live in Vermont and we may have to come up in the winter so I wouldn't want the tranni fluid become thick.
Also what about a fan on the cooler when the temps jump up as a safety measure working on a switch from the driver all automatic.
Any ideas about that and is there such a cooler like I'm explaining?

hoping the rain will stop up here [/i]
Old 07-01-2015, 12:55 PM   #6

Again, I don't know what the load rating is for your trailer. I can't find any reference to a SFx189 on the Cruiser RV web site so not sure what it is. My gut feeling is that you're over thinking the whole thing. A Tahoe with a 5.3 L engine and auto tranny should be able to pull 5,000 lbs (minimum) with nothing more than the factory towing package as long as you have a good weight distribution hitch. These things are sold all over Canada and no one seems to be worried about temperatures being too cold for a tranny.

I pulled a 6,000 lb boat all across the country 20 years ago with a 4.7 L Dodge Ram and all I ever did was change the tranny fluid once a year. It had the factory tow package which included the tranny cooler inside the radiator. Never had problem one with it.

Old 07-01-2015, 02:01 PM   #7

Most manufacturers include an external trans cooler, bigger radiator and alternator and the hitch with tow package. Some add to this, but these are basic. You should also follow the severe service maintenance schedule in owners manual. It is possible to add another trans cooler or replace factory unit with a bigger one. They come in all sizes and mounting possibilities with or without fans. Fan equipped units have a temp sensor that turn on at about 180*.
I always upgrade trans cooler, cheaper the replacing the transmission.
jtwcummins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 02:36 PM   #8

Thank You!
Old 07-01-2015, 04:15 PM   #9

I wouldn't worry about the trans fluid getting too thick. All auto trans missions have a "cooler" in the radiator. It doesn't only cool the fluid down when it's too hot but warms it up if it's to cold so it can maintain normal operating temp. Now an aux trans cooler is supposed to be installed before the cooler in the radiator. So fluid comes out of trans, gets cooled in the aux cooler, then it is brought to operating temp in the cooler that's in the radiator, and then it goes back to the trans.