Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   FunfinderClub > Fun Finder Tech > Towing and Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-14-2011, 02:07 PM   #1

Default Would YOU tow a Shadow Cruiser S-260BHS with 04 V8 4Runner?

2012 Cruiser Shadow Cruiser S-260BHS

4Runner is a 4.7 V8 that is rated up to 7300lbs. I have towed by 2800lb (Dry) Fun Finder without any issues.

Exterior Length 28'8"
Exterior Width 8'
Exterior Height w/ A/C 9'10"
Axle Weight (lbs) 3,639
Hitch Weight (lbs) 405
Dry Weight (lbs) 4,044

mac0822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 02:25 PM   #2

I am sure that I will draw a lot of ire from 4 runner owners, but you asked the question. No, I would want more TV wheelbase for that long of trailer. I towed a 26' Wilderness with a Tahoe and it seemed to have a real problem when it was a little windy or I met or was passed by semis. A lot of people seem to do OK with SUVs towing but a 28' is a pretty long trailer.
Happy Camping,
ArizAl

ArizAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 04:06 PM   #3

No ire from a 4Runner here

I have a friend that is towing a similar trailer, the FunFinder 244RBS; has pretty much the same specs. He's pulling with a Commander like mine. I think it is a lot of TT, but, I don't think it is too much trailer. One advantage that he and I have is the Commander's mass...very heavy at 3 tons and a little more power with the Hemi. You will be well within your specs, but, your lighter weight combined with your wheelbase will leave you more susceptible to side motion (trucks passing or a stiff wind coming off your side). A good weight distribution hitch with sway control (Equal-i-zer, Reese Dual Cam, etc.) will help mitigate some of that. 28' is a lot of trailer and I think that is about the max I would consider for your 4Runner without going up to a longer wheelbased vehicle, something in the 24-26' range would be better. One advantage to the Shadow Cruiser is that it is a "light weight" given its length. Easier on your engine, but, the light weight in that length also makes it a better "sail" pushing on your TV...you'll be lacking "mass" as a stabilizing force...

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin :R

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX DP
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB (now gone)
2008 FunFinder X 210WBS (Sadly gone)
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 12:43 PM   #4

My brother and I bought virtually identical SC 260BHS trailers this summer. He was pulling his with a Tahoe and just weeks after purchasing it, was hit by a strong crosswind and it actually pushed his trailer and tow vehicle both onto 2 wheels. He managed to keep it from turning over completely but unfortunately the rear of the trailer got slung into a guard rail and shoved the bumber over at a foot and ripped out part of the floor of the trailer where the bumper was attached and lots of other damage such of tearing loose wiring to the brake lights on one side and so forth. We managed to make repairs enough to allow us all to continue our vacation but the brand new trailer was totaled and they all felt lucky to get out alive. He had a full WD trailer hitch with sway control setup but he struggled the whole time with the trailer getting pushed around by wind and passing trucks pushing the tahoe around. I think the short wheel base and the light weight of the trailer combined created a dangerous combination with that long of a trailer behind him. Of course, we now know that the trailer was apparently not quite as light as the original sticker showed it to be, but still light enough that i think the "mass" issue of the trailer compared to its size created some problems.
WesTechsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 07:25 AM   #5

Default 2012 Shadow Cruiser S-260BHS

Hello MAC 0822
I have the same rig and bought it because of the 4044 lb dry weight.
Well Cruiser Inc, got a mandate from the Fed Gov. to correct the
dry weight to close to 5000 lbs. So we are pulling a lot more than
we thought. Cruiser Inc. even sent out the corrected decals .
I am towing my rig with the Toyota Sequoia and it is doing a great job.
The big thing to remember is to put weight on the hitch end and not the rear end. I pull with all holding tanks empty or very close to empty.
Happy towing,
Bob
Bob B is offline   Reply With Quote