Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   FunfinderClub > Fun Finder Tech > Towing and Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-31-2010, 05:40 PM   #1

Default X210WBS & Toyota 4Runner

Today I am the proud new owner of a 2010 Fun Finder X210WBS!! My first RV and horredously exciting!!!
I have an older 4runner (1996), but it is well maintained and runs great. It is a V6 and towing max. is stated at 5000 lbs.
My trailer has the Xtra Fun pack (awning, A/C, blah blah) and the shipped weight on the Certificate of origin is 3760 lbs. - dry weight on the brochure is 3400 but that's the basic pkg. Planning to camp with services, so not hauling water for sure, simply me, Boyfriend, dog + food.

Anyone towed with a similar combo? What are these super cooler tranny things I've seen discussed? Read some feedback on older 4Runners on here and am a little worried about my decision. These vehicles are pretty rock solid and I have faith it'll do the job with no complaints.

I've read a bunch of stuff about the WD and sway hitches so will be sure to purchase something appropriate. The trailer won't be coming home for a few months - dealer is storing it until spring as we can't get it in the yard due to the current 3.5' of snow/ice back there!! Meeting him(dealer) later in the week to learn all the basics about the new toy so I can ask him some questions then too I guess.

Any tips for a newbie greatly appreciated!

One weeklong family trip is already planned (July/aug in Kimberley, BC)! I was to be the odd one out with my tent and two other RV's, but now we'll be the envy of them all!!

Blue Ox Sway Pro WDH
Proudcanuck75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 07:36 PM   #2

Default Towing a 210WBS

Welcome to owning a 210WBS. I bought mine last year (just joined the forum although I have been getting lots of great tips here). I tow mine with a 2005 GMC Envoy, 6 cylinder and it tows excellent dry weight.

Highly recommend the full hitch package with torsion and sway control and get your hitch checked - may need to be reinforced!

Enjoy

Goldengirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 07:51 PM   #3

Thanks Golden Girl!
Been pricing out hitches today, looks like we can get everything we need for around $500. Then need all the brake control stuff installed. Good thing we aren't picking it up for a while! Lots to do LOL
Bought the plates today!!! Also, very exciting
Blue Ox Sway Pro WDH
Old 02-02-2010, 10:31 AM   #4

First off.. Welcome & congrats on the purchase.. It was 2 years to date that we did the upgrade from tents to hard walls. Never going back (unless I'm in the doghouse some night )..

Second.. Where are you located? and where are you camping? You mention Kimberly, your tow vehicle should be ok for short trips, but if you're in the mountains alot you probably won't be very happy at all.

Let me put it this way, I've got a smaller trailer, and tow with ~100more hp/tq w/6sp auto and there's "hills" that I can barely keep 70km/hr.
I camp regularly in Koocanusa (u.s. side) & the Rockies for comparison. Now if you aren't in a hurry (like me), then it shouldn't be an issue, just be considerate of others (ie. pull over when safe to let them pass).

I'm not trying to scare you at all, just letting you know what you'll be experiencing.

A couple things that are worth mentioning.
Since your 4runner is 14yrs old now, make sure everything from frame/tires/brakes/battery/alternator/etc. are in tip top shape before your first trip, and do a complete fluid change (oil, coolant, diffs, tranny), and while they are doing that get them to add a tranny cooler & tranny temperature gauge while they are at it. These two things will save you a ton of money in the long run, and will ensure you make it to your destination safely. The last thing you want is the transmission to overheat, and you end up canceling the trip.

Last but certainly not least, join up with goodsams or AMA

http://www.goodsamclub.com/benefits-...d-service.aspx

This can be a life (or vacation) saver..
Old 02-02-2010, 12:49 PM   #5

Thanks jb_bb and Hello neighbor!! We are in Red Deer Generally I have camped around Nordegg or Abraham Lake area in the past (2 O'clock creek is my favourite) but have gone as far a Waterton and Grande Cache. I'm a weekend camper so anything under 5 hours usually.

All very good information you provided. I figured we are pretty close to our max and we'll have to take things slow and steady. Neither of us are speed demons, but patience will need to be exercised. I will certainly ask Toyota about the cooler and temp. gauge.

I've made some calls about a WDH, sounds like the prices are all fairly comparable and there's lots of people willing to help, thanks goodness!

Just need this dang snow to hurry up and melt!
Blue Ox Sway Pro WDH
Old 03-29-2010, 09:53 PM   #6
Van

Grats on the new rv and welcome to the site and the world of RVing.
Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 09:19 PM   #7

Default Towing with a 4 runner

I have a 2006 4 runner with the 4.7 V8, and I tow a 2008 x210wbs. I bought it in Washington and towed it home to so california with no problems. I just wish the fuel tank was a little larger (20 Gallons) as I was stopping to fill up about every 160-180 miles. A load distrubuting hitch is a must, and I use a sway control.
L mohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 08:36 PM   #8

Default Towing with our 4Runner

Hi Proudcanuck75 and gang,
We are looking at upgrading from an 1800lb Chalet pop-up to a Fun Finder ( 18 or 21). We have a 2008 4Runner Sport 4.7liter V8. Some have told me that a camper of ~ 4000lbs is too much to tow. So, what has been your experience towing your FunFinder with your 4Runner? We live in San Diego and like to take our camper on long trips to the Rockies and Yellowstone.
Thanks for any advice.
GreenValley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 09:26 PM   #9

We tow generally along the coast, but it handled fine tackling the grapevine and the mountains from northern cal to Oregon. I would like to find some better extended mirrors then what I have, and as I was saying, the fuel range is not the best with a 20 gallon tank.
L mohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 08:10 AM   #10

Proud,
Re: the tranny cooling. Most people don't realize when they start this hobby that the overheating issue is not with the engine, but with the transmission. For this reason you can install an "extra" transmission "cooler", which is sort of an add-on small radiator specifically for keeping the transmission cool. The wear and tear on the tranny is the hard thing when towing or driving on beach dunes. Trucks that come with a "tow package" often already have the cooler installed...you can usually see it inside the front grill.

I have added them to Jeep Cherokees and a Ranger to make sure that transmisssion keeps on chugging...transmission problms tend to the be biggest expense when it comes to repair issues.

Hope you enjoy you new setup! It's a beauty!

2005 Sun Cruiser Fun Finder X-139FK
2000 Jeep Cherokee 4.0L (Winston)
Cadillac Sedan de Ville V8 (Great White Whale)
obxgal is offline   Reply With Quote