Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   FunfinderClub > Fun Finder Tech > Towing and Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-05-2013, 10:12 PM   #1

Default XTRA XT-300/2008 Ford E350

I am new to larger trailer towing. I am borrowing a 2013 FunFinder Xtra XT-300. The specs state that it has a dry weight of 7290 pounds and a hitch weight of 1210 pounds. I have a 2008 Ford E350 Extended cargo can with a 5.4, 3.73 axle and towing package. I have learned that the max trailer towing is 7500 pounds with a tongue weight of 500 pounds. I have a weight distribution hitch with a 10,000 pound capacity. I pulled this trailer home empty and it was not good. I had little control of the front end and the rear end was dragging quite low.

Will adding toy cargo balance to load?
Am I over capacity?
If so, what would be a better choice?

crashmonkey85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:46 AM   #2
roy

Sounds like the weight distribution hitch is not set correctly for the tow vehicle. However you are at or slightly above the limits of the vehicle in terms of numbers. Still even at that you should be able to level the vehicle with a correctly set hitch.

I didn't know they made a XT-300 until I read your post. That's an interesting floor plan on that unit. I'm not real crazy about the kitchen slide out which appears it would hinder the slope adjustment capability of the awning.

That thing is pretty heavy at 7290 dry and I bet its actually heavier if it were weighed on CAT scales. I own a XT-276 and its dry weight is listed at 5485 but I suspect its heavier but have not weighed it yet. Always in to big a hurry to run it through the scales.

Anyway back on topic, set the hitch correctly and get the tow vehicle and trailer level as you can. There are several YouTube videos online that can walk you through hitch setup procedures.

WERA Expert #826
roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 02:19 PM   #3

Roy,

Thanks for your reply. The camper dealer set the hitch up but I am beginning to question their knowledge. The fact that they were comfortable matching this trailer up with my van and finding out that the brake controller they installed is wired incorrectly and is now discharging my vehicle battery.

I will try playing with the hitch myself to see if I can get it any better, if only to bring it back to the dealer for a trade in.

I guess the XT-300 is new for 2013. We were originally wanting a XT-276 or 245 but those were not in stock at the time. One of these might be what we end up with in the end. Chalk this up to a learning experience.

The XT-300 is a monster for some reason. It's nearly 2000 pounds heavier than the XT-276 and quite heavy on the hitch weight. You mentioned the 276 is listed at 5485. I see it listed at 5110. Either way, I'm sure I could fall much closer within the limits of my E350 van with this trailer.

One thing I can't overlook with my van is the fact that it's an extended version. Ford does not change the wheelbase (13 and instead adds to the rear. This creates a teeter totter effect. I am wondering if I can even level out the load with the distribution hitch. I am also wondering if I should consider any other kind of suspension help.

How do you like the XT-276? If it comes down to trading, we are considering this one. I like the separate garage. I am also considering the XT-245. One big reason for this is that I can fit it in my garage, not the XT-276. Also, It seems by looking at the floorplan of the XT-245, that the combined cargo area would not be as wide due to the folding benches and wheel wells. I have already ordered at bike securing device (boltiton.com) in 95 inches which most likely will not work in the XT-245. Not the end of the world and could be exchanged.

Anyway, I hope to be better informed as so my parents can make a better choice to pull with my van if need be.
crashmonkey85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:51 AM   #4
TCP

Default toy haulers, tongue weight, etc

toy haulers, with their rear cargo area empty, are notoriously tongue heavy. The extra "behind the axle" length of your van is an added problem Adding weight to the rear, is a double edged sword, in that it adds to the gross weight of the trailer, but does reduce the tongue a bit. Either way, try setting up the hitch again and see if it helps. Lots of info out there on the web.
TCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 03:55 PM   #5

If adjusting your weight distributing hitch does not provide positive results, I'm thinking your dealer sold you a toy hauler that is to heavy for your tow vehicle. Therefore, adding weight to the camper will only make things worse.

I had one try that on me.....trying to sell me one that when empty iwas at the recommended tow capacity of my tow vehicle. The 'dry weight' of a camper or toy hauler is without the 40 lbs of propane, the battery, etc.

Of course, he was being my 'new best buddy' so he would get a fat commission check...IMHO

Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:15 AM   #6

Your rig must be completely level after adjusting the WD hitch. If you cannot get it level then your hitch on your TV is twisting. This is a common problem. A lot of hitches out there will twist. To remove the twist you will have to take it to a custom hitch shop who should be able to weld something that does not twist.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:35 PM   #7

Traded the 300 for a 276. This one feels much better.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:16 AM   #8
roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmonkey85
Traded the 300 for a 276. This one feels much better.
Hard to beat the 276 layout its about perfect for a light toy hauler. Just wish their build quality was better. Ours has right at 10k miles on it and yes it's had it's share of build issues. I repair something every trip unfortunately.

WERA Expert #826
roy is offline   Reply With Quote