Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2020, 07:58 AM   #1

Default CO2 Monitor

I've got a 2015 210UDS, and per the mfr, the CO2 monitor should be replaced every 5 yrs. Mine passes the suggested routine test, so I'm wondering if I really need to replace it. That said, I don't want to miss something and end up dying in my sleep due to carbon monoxide poisoning. That would suck...

Bo59funfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 08:26 AM   #2
Site Team

It's really up to you, but the test only verifies that the alarm works, it doesn't check the sensor. If it were me I'd replace it. They aren't cheap, but you can often find deals on the internet.

LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 11:05 AM   #3

Thanks - sage advice.
Old 12-04-2020, 06:05 PM   #4

Also, when they start to wear out, they start emitting this intermittent beep. Usually in the middle of the night. During a long trip to a remote place. Far from Camping World.

Don't ask me how I know all of this.

It was not easy to disconnect that thing in the middle of the night. We were thoroughly awake by the time I got the job done.

So after replacing it, I have calendared the next replacement date. Thank goodness for Google Calendar -- it makes it easy to calendar events several years in advance.
Old 12-04-2020, 08:54 PM   #5

Thanks - great info.
Old 12-05-2020, 05:08 PM   #6

The propane/co monitors in my unit started beeping when traveling one a few years after the new purchase. I checked the date on them and they were 'supposed' to still be good. I had to cut the power to them to stop the beeping. When got home, reconnected them and they still beeped.
I checked for a propane least (after sitting days with roof vents open and no appliances lite) and still beeped. Took it to a reputable RV repair facility for a propane leak check) and they actually checked electric/propane and lots of other stuff. They found ZERO issues - paid the $160 bill and left.
First trip afterwards, the darn things were beeping again so disconnected the power to them. When got home, replaced them both with new units - next trip they were beeping again at every gas stop.
I spliced in a push button on/off switch so easy to turn off when they beep for no reason. Also got a 120V sensor to use when connected to shore power .... it never goes off and the camper ones are beeping so believe they are JUNK!
Old 12-05-2020, 05:38 PM   #7

One other possibility -- this is real and not a joke -- some folks have reported that no matter what kind of propane/monoxide detector they install, they get random beeps.

But it goes away when they train the dog to sleep away from the detector.

Sounds funny, but this is a real thing.
Old 12-05-2020, 07:22 PM   #8

I appreciate all the input from you folks. I'm going to err on the side of caution & replace it. I'm married to a nurse who says "Yeah, dying from carbon monoxide poisoning would not be good." Medical wisdom from a pro.
Old 12-05-2020, 08:40 PM   #9

Actually, they say that death from CO2 is a good way to go -- pretty painless. But I don't want to find out if that's true or not!
Old 12-06-2020, 08:32 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by profdant139 View Post
One other possibility -- this is real and not a joke -- some folks have reported that no matter what kind of propane/monoxide detector they install, they get random beeps.

But it goes away when they train the dog to sleep away from the detector.

Sounds funny, but this is a real thing.
No animals, birds, reptiles, etc. have ever been in or ever will be in my unit as it's for human habitation/use only. Such things belong outside in the wild or on a farm IMO.
Old 12-06-2020, 12:15 PM   #11

In addition to animals, they can be sensitive to certain materials, such as plastics I find it's best to keep a clear path around the monitor.
Dleit53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 01:51 PM   #12

As LJAZ said the sensors do age and then to not respond to the presence of carbon monoxide or propane.
Old 12-13-2020, 02:52 PM   #13

As I said earlier: Took it to a reputable RV repair facility for a propane leak check and they actually checked electric/propane and lots of other stuff. They found ZERO issues - paid the $160 bill and left.
First trip afterwards, the darn things were beeping again so disconnected the power to them. When got home, replaced them both with new units - next trip they were beeping again at every gas stop.
I spliced in a push button on/off switch so easy to turn off when they beep for no reason. Also got a 120V sensor to use when connected to shore power .... it never goes off and the camper ones are beeping so believe they are JUNK!"

Therefore I have zero confidence in the units installed in the camper....and that is all I have to say on the subject.
Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 02:59 PM   #14

I just installed a new monitor. Cost me $75. Err on the side of caution. Previous one never beeped. The new one seems fine so far.
Old 12-14-2020, 09:18 PM   #15

On my old trailer it was beeping in the middle of the night so I removed the fuse. Put in a new one when I got home and again it was beeping for no reason. I have not had any luck with them at all.
kmeindin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 05:45 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmeindin View Post
On my old trailer it was beeping in the middle of the night so I removed the fuse. Put in a new one when I got home and again it was beeping for no reason. I have not had any luck with them at all.
Initially I thought I did have a propane leak the sensors were reading but once no leak was found, they checked the electrical to assure the sensors were receiving adequate power ... and they were.
So - brand new sensors with years to go before expiration date .. they still beeped for no reason. No animals ever in the camper and camper as came from the factory.
When get to campsite and have 120V power hookup (or generator power) plug in the 120V CO2/propane detector and all is fine.
Old 12-15-2020, 07:47 AM   #17

That’s weird it would work with 120v power. Maybe 12v is not constant enough? With a propane leak you can smell it. It is really strong.

With mine I was wondering if it was picking up methane or gas from the toilet ?? I just left mine off after putting in a new one and having the same problem. The is was on my older smaller trailer. It was a pretty short distance from the toilet to the sensor. The cabin was only 16’ long.
kmeindin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 01:02 PM   #18

Perhaps I didn't make myself clear.
This like is to the unit that works on 120 V power I put in the toy hauler & also have one near the furnace/gas water heater in my stick built house.

https://www.amazon.com/Nighthawk-Mon...8062429&sr=8-5

And if you noticed, the price of this ^ unit is less than 1/2 the price of those factory replacement units.