Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2020, 02:51 PM   #1

Default No tail lights or running lights

Hello Folks!

I am new to the forum and would like your thoughts. This spring I purchased a used 2010 Fun Finder-X Model X-210WBS in like new condition. Before making the 4 hour drive home, I made sure all the external lights worked (which they did). Parked it in my barn and never used it all summer. I had to get a VIN inspection last week due to an out of state title. Before towing it for the inspection I checked the lights. All I had was turn signals and brake lights, NO tail or running lights!
I attached a different vehicle to it with no change in symptom. All fuses are good. The only thing in common between the two vehicles is the 7 pin connector from the camper that plugs into the tow vehicles.
Appears to be in good shape but hesitant to replace it because I can't figure how to disconnect from the wiring harness short of cutting it off.

DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS?
Thanks, Rob
Colorado

robminock@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 04:31 PM   #2

Could be mice chewed thru the wires somewhere and the plug is just fine.
??

Old 10-14-2020, 05:22 PM   #3

I had a similar situation earlier this year! Before doing too much more, I'd have a look at the contacts for both the male and female connections of the 7 pin plug. I had to scrape a bit of corrosion off of the female contacts. Others have suggested dielectric grease to ensure a more solid connection!

2007 Shadow Cruiser x210, 2004 RAM 2500 4x4 QuadCab SLT 5.9L CTD, Factory Tow Pkg (3.73 axle), HaulMaster WDH
RipVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 05:44 PM   #4

Perhaps using this on the plug male and female parts would help.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BXOGNI...osi&th=1&psc=1

Also available at most auto parts stores, etc.
Old 10-14-2020, 10:56 PM   #5

Nine times out of ten its the connector.
Get some steel wool, wrap it around a flat head screwdriver and clean the contacts.
twinster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 11:14 AM   #6

Thanks guys. I followed all of your replies with no change in symptom. No chewed wires or mouse droppings anywhere. Cleaned connector contacts to no avail. Replaced 7 blade connector, no change????????????????????
Old 10-16-2020, 12:08 PM   #7

Something similar happened to me. The brake lights worked, but not the running lights. It was the 30 amp fuse coming from the battery. Something is causing it to trip and I haven't been able to figure out what. So I ended up buying an auto resetting breaker. It'll trip, then reset in a sec and the lights come back on.

I'm narrowing it down to a few things... I think it may be coming from the outlet near the sink, but I'm not an electrician and I simply do not have the time and sadly, no one around me (RV repair shops) have time and flat out refuse to work on anything older than 5 years.
Xerofall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 12:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by robminock@gmail.com View Post
Thanks guys. I followed all of your replies with no change in symptom. No chewed wires or mouse droppings anywhere. Cleaned connector contacts to no avail. Replaced 7 blade connector, no change????????????????????
With a 12 volt 'probe' type vehicle tester ... start tracing/testing the wires from the battery back until you reach the point where there is no power in the wires.

Old 10-16-2020, 12:35 PM   #9

I think you mentioned it already, but have you tested the TT connector contact for voltage going to the running light?
Old 10-17-2020, 08:53 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinster2 View Post
I think you mentioned it already, but have you tested the TT connector contact for voltage going to the running light?
Twinster2: What and where is the TT connector?
Old 10-17-2020, 08:56 AM   #11

I should add, the very first step would to be certain there is power in the TT plug connector on the tow vehicle. Have you checked that?
Old 10-17-2020, 01:25 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by robminock@gmail.com View Post
Twinster2: What and where is the TT connector?
My mistake, I meant to say make sure you have power coming from the Tow Vehicle connector that powers the running lights. Use a volt meter to check it. That way you can determine if it is a problem with the tow vehicle wiring or the trailer wiring.
Old 10-18-2020, 07:07 AM   #13

This is a puzzling problem to be sure! Since the OP stated that all of the lights worked when the camper was first acquired, I'm going with the assumption that the bulbs are not the problem. My original thought was a poor connection at the 7-pin connector but it sounds like the OP replaced the female plug on the camper. It's sounding more and more like Eagle's suggestion that mice may have gnawed through the wire that powers the clearance and tail lights . I think a definitive test for that would be to use a 20 A fuse and "jump" across the top two slots of the TT's 7-pin plug. I'm not sure if the camper has to be connected to "shore power" or not but I believe it should be. If the suspect wiring is intact, the clearance and tail lights should come on. If not, I think the problem has been found. The issue then would be to find the break in the wire !

2007 Shadow Cruiser x210, 2004 RAM 2500 4x4 QuadCab SLT 5.9L CTD, Factory Tow Pkg (3.73 axle), HaulMaster WDH
Old 10-18-2020, 04:20 PM   #14

OK! I plugged the camper into a friends 2015 Ford pickup and THE LIGHTS WORKED. So why won't they work on my Ford and Dodge pickup? Turns out the 20amp fuse in the fuse block in both my trucks which controls that trailer circuit were blown. GO FIGURE! Replaced the fuse in both trucks and now the problem is solved. Now I have to believe what Eagle and RipVan said about mice chewing a wire may be the reason why I had this problem. Thanks for every ones help!
Old 10-18-2020, 06:31 PM   #15

Awesome ... pleased you finally resolved the cause of the problem and are now good to go.

Old 10-19-2020, 04:25 PM   #16

Not necessarily solved, but getting closer. Next thing to do is worrk p0your way through the tail light wiring under the frame. I bet you will find a spot where the insulation has been worn or chewed through. Check areas where wiring goes through holes in the frame.
Old 10-21-2020, 08:57 AM   #17

So you are thinking that mice are gnawing on the wires of your trucks?

Old 10-21-2020, 06:29 PM   #18

Mice would have to be chewing on the same wire on each truck. The odds of winning the lottery are better than that scenario. I think "twinster2" last post is right on. I just have to find the time to investigate the wiring on the camper to find some abrasion (caused by mice) that could be shorting or grounding out causing the 20 amp fuse in both my trucks to blow.
Old 10-22-2020, 08:32 AM   #19

Could be the same mouse AND he knows the Ford wiring diagram cold!
If there's a "short" somewhere in the camper's wiring, why would the lights work when plugged into the friend's truck and/or not blow a fuse in that system?

Old 10-22-2020, 09:28 AM   #20

This hasn't become Fun Finding the cause!!!!