Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   FunfinderClub > Fun Finder Club Community Forums > Fun Finder Community
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-28-2011, 02:56 PM   #1

Default 2008 X230 DS

We are really new to rv'ing and have had our 230 DS out two times. Both times we had full hook ups which was great. Lots of fun to be had when my husband retires We only received two general manuals on how everything works. We need a shop manual like you get for cars. Does anyone know if there is such a thing and where we could get it?

Also, does anyone know what lights and appliances are supposed to work with just the battery in use? AND can you get a regular mattress that will fit? We tried putting our queen in but it is too long!!!

Thank you, Judy

Judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 01:18 PM   #2

Welcome to the wonderful, exciting world of RVing!

Unfortunately, there isn't a "shop manual" like you find in the automotive world. There are generic manuals on how RVs work; 12v, LPG, converters, etc., but, you won't find brand / model specific manuals on how the thing was built, how to take various components apart, etc., just "generic" RV systems books.

Camping World has a selection of these "generic" systems books and other RV related information:

Camping World Bookstore

Depending on how your converter is wired, the A/C, television and most 120v plugs won't work. All the items "required" for living in your TT; furnace, water heater, water pump, refrigerator, 12v lights, stove and oven, should work on your house battery. The problem lies in how long they will work. Most people that "boondock" (camp off the grid) have multiple batteries and various means of re-charging them (solar, generators, even wind turbines) in order to last more than a day or two. Most of the trailer style RVs produced today, unless they have an on-board generator, are designed primarily to have shore power provide most of the "juice" for the components. Short term use, as in stopping at a rest stop or roadside picnic area for instance, is done all the time. Very restful to pull over and be able to "retire" to the rig for potty breaks, lunches or just plain rest.

As for mattresses...what you have discovered is termed an "RV Queen" or a "short queen"...used quite frequently in the RV industry. If memory serves me right, the short is 74" and a regular is 80" or there abouts. There are manufacturers that make "short queens", but, you more than likely won't find them in stock at your local mattress store. Many mattress stores can order them though, so you might want to inquire. Camping World and other RV parts suppliers have access to them, from cheapo replacements all the way up to Select Comfort Sleep Number models. You can also shop around for various "toppers" if you'd rather go that route. Online sources for those are plentiful and you can get a "regular queen" and cut 6" off (more or less) to fit your "short queen" mattress.

I'm sure others will chime with additional ideas...I certainly don't know everything there is to know

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin :R

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX DP
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB (now gone)
2008 FunFinder X 210WBS (Sadly gone)
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 02:25 PM   #3

Default Thank you!!!!

We found the cut off know just as you told us. It was on front wall under cabinet next to sink and yes, it was turned off. When we pulled it out, bingo, everything works inside!!! This is really fortunate since we have had the power connected since purchase last July. If the switch had been on we would have already lost the battery.

Now for the small leak when we flush!! Next trip is June to Steamboat Springs with our family. We love this trailer and bought it because I was tired of sleeping in dirty filthy dog rooms at hotels. Our babies are two Italian Greyhounds!!

Again many thanks.

Judy, Reno
Old 04-05-2011, 08:50 PM   #4

Great post Judy. We too have a 230DS that we bought in November and used for three weeks during Christmas. It is now home here in Mexico and sitting in the driveway.

I just went out and crawled under the kitchen cabinet and found the cutoff switch. I never even knew it was there. This forum is great. We don't have batteries yet but plan on having them for our summer trip.

Our toilet leaked too. Where is your leak coming from? I found that the hose on the back of the toilet just under the lid was not tightened and the water was leaking there.

BTW, I have a sister who lives in Reno.

Chris Bauer
Monterrey, Mexico
qtla9111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 05:22 AM   #5

Judy,

My wife and I bought our 230 DS last year and love it. Suprised that Fun Finder didn't keep this model.

We ran into the same problem with the cut off switch under the front cabinet. We didn't know it was there and on our first trip I couldn't get the fridge to light. I spent an hour tracing and testing until I found it. Wish they would have put it somewhere more accessible. Thinking of moving it to a better location.

Please post what you wind up doing with your mattress. After 6 or 7 trips out last year, I'm ready to toss ours and get something that doesn't feel like a torture device but with the price of mattresses these days, I hate the thought of buying without trying it out first. Seems a lot of people are going with a eurotop whatever that is.

Happy Camping!
WarpathEngineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 07:59 AM   #6

Happy Camping to you too.

I put a 2" foam mattress pad on our mattress and it has really helped. the pillowtop is very comfortable but also too expensive. We'll deal with that down the road

We don't understand why they don't still make this model but it is short on sleeping if you have kids. Perfect for us and our small four legged kids!!

Judy
Old 04-13-2011, 05:37 AM   #7

This is really a great site. i find so many good and useful stuffs here. Thanks a lot for the effort and may you keep up the good work.