Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2018, 09:02 PM   #1

Question AC Condensation not draining off roof

Hi all,

I'm brand new to the forum. We purchased a used F189 2006 Fun Finder and we're muddling along. We learn something new every trip we take. Just learned how to fire up the hot water heater on this last trip...Actually...I got the guts to fire it up..never liked propane much.

One of the things I've noticed is that when the AC is on, we get no water dripping off the roof as I believe we should. The last trip, when I jacked the tongue up to hitch up, a load of water spilled off the back, confirming my suspicion that the AC water wasn't draining.

I've climbed up to the roof but not got on the roof...our plumber did, and said it did feel a little soft but not bad around the AC. I need to fix this issue ASAP before I have a major problem!

This last trip I tried to tilt the rig slightly so it was slightly unlevel so the water would hopefully drain off the back on the non-door side but no luck.

I would love some suggestions! HELP!

Thanks!

BoardBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 10:45 PM   #2

My suggestion would be to find out what model a/c you have and then go onto the manufacturer's website and look at the manual -- where is the drain port for the condensation? Is there a tube that has come loose?

profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 01:01 AM   #3

So my first question is did you get cold air when the AC was running? If so, that means the AC is working and the condensation is pooling on the roof or coming down the AC shaft. Both could be signs of big problems. I would do what the previous response stated to get the manual. Next I would take the shroud off and run the AC to see where the water is going. It could be that it is getting down the shaft and entering the underside of the roof
twinster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 06:43 AM   #4

Default AC Condensation on Roof

The AC is running fine and the water is definitely pooling on the roof....When I jacked the tongue up to hitch our trip before last, the water poured off the back which indicated to me that it is pooling.

That's my concern....How can i route the water off? My thought is that I have some roof sagging....it's not terrible on inspection but my guess is that its just enough to let the water just sit there.

Beth
BoardBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 09:20 AM   #5

Yes, that was my thought as well. I think that in 2006 they constructed the roof and walls with wood framing which could make sagging more likely. Check to see if there is a sticker on the side that says Alumi-X. If you have it than the framing and trusses are aluminium. Anyway, generally there is gasket that the AC sits on at the dome of the roof. The gasket prevents water from coming in. The fact that it is pooling might be a good sign that at least it's not draining under the roof decking. That being said, it will not prevent water intrusion forever. I think you are going to have to start thinking about the cause and fix for the sagging roof because that seems to be the root of the problem.
twinster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 04:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinster2 View Post
Yes, that was my thought as well. I think that in 2006 they constructed the roof and walls with wood framing which could make sagging more likely. Check to see if there is a sticker on the side that says Alumi-X. If you have it than the framing and trusses are aluminium. Anyway, generally there is gasket that the AC sits on at the dome of the roof. The gasket prevents water from coming in. The fact that it is pooling might be a good sign that at least it's not draining under the roof decking. That being said, it will not prevent water intrusion forever. I think you are going to have to start thinking about the cause and fix for the sagging roof because that seems to be the root of the problem.
2006 is all wood. You need to watch any infiltration of water. Front clearance lights and any holes in roof. It will rot the wood in a hurry. Don't wait. Get this addressed ASAP.

gator is offline   Reply With Quote