Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   FunfinderClub > Fun Finder Club Community Forums > Fun Finder Community
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-17-2015, 09:18 PM   #1

Default Advice for Newbie to Camper Trailers

Hi everyone,

my wife and I have been seriously thinking about buying a FunFinder 21OUDS 2014 (GVWR is just a tad under 6000 pounds). It's brand new at the dealer (I guess he wants to really get rid of it since it is a 2014 model and he wants to get the 2016's in). We're new to this and am looking for good advice on what to buy/what not to buy (I don't want the dealer to take me).

Here's my tow vehicle:

2013 Ford F-150 Supercrew, V8 5.0 litre, tow package (3.73 gears, integrated brake controller) and of course with the LT type tires. It's rated to pull 10,000 lbs.

My questions are:

1. The trailer dealer said it was a toss up if I needed sway control, but I'm thinking that I do as the local Ford dealer recommended it. The trailer dealer asked if I would do just local trips or longer ones and I said it would be a mixture. Thoughts and if yes, what type do you recommend? Note that I'm buying in Canada.

2. What about getting airbags for my rear end, i.e. making the rear end a little stiffer than just with the shocks/spring/leaf suspension?

3. Any other recommendations for a newbie in relation to trailer, tow vehicle set-up?

4. Any other types of recommendations or good info to know for a newbie?

Thanks in advance.

Scoobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 10:35 PM   #2

Absolutely get sway control. For a small trailer, a friction bar is enough. For a larger trailer, a weight distribution hitch is necessary. I am not sure where the dividing line is -- a 21 footer is kind of on the borderline.

I am not in a position to answer the questions about the truck, since that is a bigger and better truck than I have.

In any event, welcome to the Club, and be sure to ask lots of questions. We were all newbies, so we enjoy helping you avoid our past mistakes!

profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 08:14 AM   #3
Site Team

FWIW I tow my 210 WBS with Chevy 1500 w/tow package. Very similar to your Ford. I have a weight distributing hitch but no sway control. I've never felt the need for it. For sure you want a WD hitch and if you read the fine print on your towing specs it will tell you only get a 10,000 lb towing capacity with a weight distribution hitch.

So for sure you will need a weight distribution hitch. Some brands come with that built in, with others it's an add-on.

No you won't need airbags, you should be able to tow just fine with your existing suspension.

And you can always add them later if you decide it would help. Here's a good site with lots of good info on towing:

http://changingears.com/
LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 02:22 PM   #4

Get a good WD hitch which also provides sway control. I swear by my Equalizer, and every time I see someone messing around with a cheaper one in a campground, I know I made the right decision.
-Smoother ride
-MUCH less wear and tear on your truck
-Far more stable in high winds

Properly installed (and adjusted) Equalizer really is the way to go. You won't regret it.
Old 08-22-2015, 03:00 PM   #5

I too will vouch for the Equalizer hitch with built in sway control as have never experienced a sway problem using the Equalizer!

And I have towed in some pretty stiff winds in the mid-section of the USA aka the Great Plains States where it flat and little to nothing to stop the wind.

I driven past 'rest stops' that were packed with campers because of the wind and just kept on going without an difficulty.

Old 08-22-2015, 09:16 PM   #6

Default Need vs just smart

So - NEED a weight distribution hitch? Maybe not - but, I'll say it's money very well spent. It really helps any "newbie" by making any mistakes (speed, braking, loading, turning, lane changing, cross-winds, etc.) very forgiving.

I'm a big fan of the equal-i-zer wdh.

One other thing, if the truck isn't equipped with it, get a good brake controller.
runner421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 11:55 PM   #7

As mentioned, a good break controller is essential. My Chevy p/u has one integrated into the dashboard (love it) but any good after market one, properly installed, is good too.

Also, rule of thumb after pulling many trailers with many different vehicles, never, NEVER pull more than 75% of the total weight your vehicle was rated for. Ever! The farther below that limit the better, but don't go over it, or even get close to it! I have the repair bills for brakes, trannies & suspensions from previous combinations to prove it!
Old 09-01-2015, 09:56 PM   #8

Thanks guys for the info. I didn't end up buying the Fun Finder since when I took my wife back to the RV dealer she didn't like the one I had picked out. She liked a different one that was more expensive, but the dealer didn't want to deal at all on it. I continue to look for a good one at a good price.

FYI, my truck came with the tow package (as I wanted this) and thus it came with a brake controller on the dash.

Thanks for the advice on the equalizer wdh. I'll definitely keep my eye out for it when I eventually purchase a trailer. I plan on getting wdh.

Thanks for all the help.

Scoobs is offline   Reply With Quote