Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   FunfinderClub > Fun Finder Club Community Forums > Fun Finder Community
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-01-2017, 06:57 PM   #1

Default Advice on securing two Harleys (safely)

So we purchased a new-to-us XT-200 in February this year, picked it up in April, and finally took it on its maiden voyage just last weekend. (Winter in VT makes you wait!).

I didn't haul the bikes this first time because I wanted to see how the truck would handle the trailer and just get familiar with the camper itself.

The shakedown voyage went perfectly, so now I'm ready to load up the bikes and actually haul some toys. I ride a Road Glide (~850 lbs) and my wife rides a Heritage Softail (~750 lbs). Do you folks who haul the bigger bikes recommend a wheel chock? Do you feel like the factory tie-down points are sufficient? Any recommendations on a specific wheel chock or strap brand?

I don't mind "trial", but "error" with these bikes will get very expensive, very quickly, especially with the big fairing on the Road Glide. So I'm hoping to get some advice from those who might know!

Thanks,
vttimwhite

vttimwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 05:26 AM   #2

Hi vttimwhite. I have an XT276 and have hauled my Ultra Classic in it many, many times anda few times with my BIL's Road Glide in it too.

I would highly recomment a wheel chock for securing and safety of the bikes. I have installed a Condor wheel chock https://www.amazon.com/Condor-PSTK-6...e+Wheel+Chocks and love it. There are similiar ones on the market but chose this one so it's easily removable to use elsewhere.

My BIL simply made one which does not have the 'tipping wheel cradle' and it works OK.

As for the tie downs, before I used them I went under the camper and tightened the nuts ... some were not very tight ... and double nutted them. They have been adequate securing points ~ but with the Condor chock, mostly serve as 'extra support' for securing the bike.

The tie down straps I use are Power Tye and have a 3,000 pound breaking strength.
https://www.amazon.com/PowerTye-Yell...aps+heavy+duty

I LOVE the Condor chock....just drive into it, it locks the front wheel in place and you can dismount from the motorcycle without it tipping or having someone hold it while strapping it down or un-strapping it.

Shop around on the net for best prices.

Happy camping and happy motorcycling.

Old 06-02-2017, 07:00 AM   #3

Thanks, Eagle!

The Condor chuck is perfect, as it's the only one I've seen that's easily removable. I just ordered two of them (not cheap!).

And thanks, too, for the tip on checking out the tie-downs. I'll get under there and check for tightness.

Not that I'd ever even think about it, but the Condor ads almost suggest that you don't even need tie downs. Perhaps if I had a Honda 350... How many points do you tie down on your bike? Is two enough? Should I go for four?

---
vttimwhite
Old 06-02-2017, 08:12 AM   #4

Agree, they don't give the Condor chocks away but no-rust, lightweight yet strong aluminum, look good and have the easily removable factor with a single thumbscrew. I believe they are "the best" available.

I also got the impression it wasn't necessary to use tie downs with the Condor chock but I wasn't comfortable attempting that ..... also didn't want to spend unnecessary $$$ repairing the Harley (nothing on it costs less than $100) and maybe the toy hauler too due to a 'situation.'

I use tie downs on the front (believe that's most important) and also on the rear to assure it won't move sideways...perhaps unnecessary but extra security IMO.

To avoid tying to the handlebars which give due to rubber mounting, I installed these 'tear drop' tie down brackets ... look great and blend w/bike and give a solid attachment point: Kuryakyn Chrome Teardrop Custom Tie-Down Brackets 1983-2017 Harley Touring 928 | eBay

Old 06-19-2017, 08:57 AM   #5

Will share this with hubby checking underneath for durability. Condor chock too!
ON-getaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 09:29 AM   #6

Well, I installed two Condor wheel chocks side-by-side and added two tie-downs, too. I used heavy washers underneath and I think everything is very strong. I attach to the front forks on each side, and then two tie-downs on each back wheel, too. Took the whole thing out for a test-pull and everything stayed put. I got the positioning wrong on my first try. The bikes fit nicely, and the weight was well-distributed, but the front chock was right above the gray water tank, and there was no good way to make it work.

I ended up with the bikes almost side-by-side, but staggered a little bit. It's a little tight, but it worked! The truck pulls the whole load quite nicely, and we're excited to take our first camping/biking trip.

There were many trips in and out from underneath the camper. Then, Advil was taken and the floor was laid upon. Much groaning... Damn I felt old!

-- 1962 Wife / Partner-In-Life
Old 06-19-2017, 12:40 PM   #7

I believe choosing the Condor chocks was a smart move.

Never thought about lack of access underneath but of course, the 200 is shorter than the 276. Good you got it figured out by staggering the bikes a bit.

Once the Harley is 'locked in' the Condor and strapped, the bikes sit rock solid and don't move a bit. I never have a concern when hauling them that way.

Happy camping and riding.

PS: Know what you mean about 'feeling old' and in that aspect wish I was 25 again....but that was near a half century ago.
LOL

Tags
chocks, harley, straps, tie-down