Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-15-2016, 08:59 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 1,330
Default Advice requested. Un-winterizing rig, when?

We live in a northern state zone 5/6. When do you think it is safe to un-winterize your rig? Do you wait until all danger of frost is past, like in gardening? Or what criteria do you use? We have a new-to-us RV and want to test out the water system but don't want to re-winterize it. I know it's only mid-March. Thanks for all advice.
__________________

__________________
2008 Fun Finder 189 FBR, (replaced by) 1996 Shasta 265DBFW April 2017.
2006 Jeep Liberty 3.7 (replaced by.....)
2006 Chevy 2500HD, Duramax, crew cab
It's a big world...explore it!!!
Michigantraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 07:56 AM   #2
Site Team
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,184
Default

I may not be the best source of advice since I have never winterized my trailer, but IMHO it's not like gardening. Dropping below freezing for couple of hours won't hurt anything. Where I live we often have temps below freezing overnight during the winter but the actual length of time below freezing is rarely more than 6-8 hours or so. If you think you'll have temps below freezing for 24 hrs straight or longer, then I would rewinterize.
__________________

__________________
2011 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4X4
2009 210 WBS
Prodigy P3
LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 08:05 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 2,736
Default

I also, live about as far north in the USA as you.

My unit will be available from winter storage end of the first week in April and I will bring it home. However, I will not de-winterize for maybe a month because I have no trips planned in that time frame.

I normally check everything over, re-install whatever 'stock' items were removed for the winter, clean the unit, etc. and the last thing is to de-winterize when the 'accuweather.com' extended forecast indicates night temps not lower than the mid 20's so feel comfortable.
__________________
2012 Fun Finder XT 276 Toy Hauler & Harley Davidson Ultra Classic with Condor wheel chock
2014 Dodge Ram 2500 AT 4X4 Crew Cab 6.4 L Hemi, 373 gears, tow package, Rambox option, Revolver X2 tonneau cover, Equal-I-zer anti-sway hitch.
Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 09:01 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 1,330
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJAZ View Post
I may not be the best source of advice since I have never winterized my trailer, but IMHO it's not like gardening. Dropping below freezing for couple of hours won't hurt anything. Where I live we often have temps below freezing overnight during the winter but the actual length of time below freezing is rarely more than 6-8 hours or so. If you think you'll have temps below freezing for 24 hrs straight or longer, then I would rewinterize.
Good thoughts!!
__________________
2008 Fun Finder 189 FBR, (replaced by) 1996 Shasta 265DBFW April 2017.
2006 Jeep Liberty 3.7 (replaced by.....)
2006 Chevy 2500HD, Duramax, crew cab
It's a big world...explore it!!!
Michigantraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 09:08 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 1,330
Default

Thanks Eagle. Our maiden voyage is planned for a couple of nights at the beginning of May. We will be camping about 5 miles from home with full hookups. Lol! Paul wants to make sure all systems are good while we are close to home in case he needs any tools or anything fails. We are fortunate to live in a vacation destination spot so there are a lot of campgrounds here to choose from. So I will spend April sewing new cushions, vaances and the privacy curtain. And working on the garden. And not de-winterizing till late April.
__________________
2008 Fun Finder 189 FBR, (replaced by) 1996 Shasta 265DBFW April 2017.
2006 Jeep Liberty 3.7 (replaced by.....)
2006 Chevy 2500HD, Duramax, crew cab
It's a big world...explore it!!!
Michigantraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 07:51 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 126
Default

I'm in Minnesota, the 3rd coldest state in the country. Most campgrounds here open in late April, and I usually de-winterize the first weekend of April.

We've had it out in below freezing temps and other than having the coldest water ever coming out of the tap, it was fine. I think the heater inside provides enough warmth to the floor to keep it from freezing if the temp is in the mid to upper 20's. I was concerned about the hose outside freezing, so I left the bathroom dripping all night. No problems.
__________________
2011 FunFinder XT276
2012 Ford F250 King Ranch 6.7
Native Slayer Propel Fishing kayak
Hobie i9s kayak
Kafn8td is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 08:11 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 1,330
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafn8td View Post
I'm in Minnesota, the 3rd coldest state in the country. Most campgrounds here open in late April, and I usually de-winterize the first weekend of April.

We've had it out in below freezing temps and other than having the coldest water ever coming out of the tap, it was fine. I think the heater inside provides enough warmth to the floor to keep it from freezing if the temp is in the mid to upper 20's. I was concerned about the hose outside freezing, so I left the bathroom dripping all night. No problems.
Thanks! I appreciate hearing that.
__________________
2008 Fun Finder 189 FBR, (replaced by) 1996 Shasta 265DBFW April 2017.
2006 Jeep Liberty 3.7 (replaced by.....)
2006 Chevy 2500HD, Duramax, crew cab
It's a big world...explore it!!!
Michigantraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 09:34 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 2,736
Default

Dagnabit ~ woke up this AM to all white outside. It snowed last night, not alot but turned everything white.

It snowed because I just took the winter snow tires off the Harley and put on the summer tires ....... but I ain't changing them back. The snow can just melt away !!

__________________
2012 Fun Finder XT 276 Toy Hauler & Harley Davidson Ultra Classic with Condor wheel chock
2014 Dodge Ram 2500 AT 4X4 Crew Cab 6.4 L Hemi, 373 gears, tow package, Rambox option, Revolver X2 tonneau cover, Equal-I-zer anti-sway hitch.
Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 10:12 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 1,330
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
Dagnabit ~ woke up this AM to all white outside. It snowed last night, not alot but turned everything white.

It snowed because I just took the winter snow tires off the Harley and put on the summer tires ....... but I ain't changing them back. The snow can just melt away !!

Awwww......best laid plans...you have snow tires for your Harley???? Lol!!!
__________________

__________________
2008 Fun Finder 189 FBR, (replaced by) 1996 Shasta 265DBFW April 2017.
2006 Jeep Liberty 3.7 (replaced by.....)
2006 Chevy 2500HD, Duramax, crew cab
It's a big world...explore it!!!
Michigantraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Fun Finder RV, Cruiser RV, or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×