Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2014, 06:25 PM   #1

Default Anti-Corrosion Treatment

I will take delivery of a brand new 210 UDS on May 9 and the dealer is trying to sell me an anti-corrosion treatment (ie. shoot the under belly with some tar product) to protect the frame against corrosion. I had a look at the under side of the trailer and I see limited benefit in doing that as most of the metal frame appears covered with some kind of plastic pannel.

I live in Canada and, while we have harsh winters, it is not my plan (!) to camp in the winter or to drive on salty roads.

Any comment ? Is it worth the expense ?

Jean-Pierre

Old 04-13-2014, 08:23 PM   #2

Hi neighbor!

I just recieve my 214wsd. I took both anti-corrosion treatement (550$) and "stating kit" (500$ waisted)

Anti-corrosion treatment is totally useless as long as you drive on pavement. Maybe you should consider the anti-corrosion treatement if you plan to go to northern Quebec, like driving the 389 or any other long gravel road trip. But then you should consider to make some other modifications to your trailer like rock guard protection under and in front of it, and rear piping protection.

Starting kit is useless too! Buy youself a good sewer kit + black tank treatement + all the adaptors and elbows + donut + everything you need, and you are WAY under 500 bucks.

If you plan to come near Quebec city, i can tell you where to buy a lot of good stuff for a lot less than you think... but they speak french, so am i!

Phil.

Phil. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 05:46 AM   #3

Sounds like a total waste of money. Trailer is parked by the time the salt on the roads comes out, and the rain in the spring has washed the roads by the time the trailer comes out. Plus if it is some kind of tar product, wouldn't it give off a smell in the heat of summer?
Old 04-14-2014, 09:37 AM   #4

Save your money for other "goodies"; you'll get more bang for your buck.

The frame of your trailer will rust, salt or no salt. No ifs, ands, or buts, even with the "rust prevention" that they will apply since there are areas that they can't reach with the spray (on top where the floor sits for example) and the rust will start in those areas and then proceed to undercut the sprayed on "rust preventer". Your frame is a ground path and the electicity flowing through it will lead to the formation of rust; one of the biggest issues with modern naval vessels, it isn't so much the salt water per se, but, huge amounts of electricity that flow through the decks and walls to "kick start" the rust process.

Without the spray and if you completely ignore the rust, the frame will still outlast the rest of the trailer. If you keep an eye on the frame and spot spray the worst areas with a can of Rust-o-leum once a year, you can do just as well and pocket the change. I've been RVing a long time and never had a frame rust through; those I-beams are tough and the surface rust may look bad (if you ignore it), but, a rust through will take a long, long time. A can of Rust-o-leum, a small wire brush, and an hour or two (my 5th wheel is 35' long...) and the rust is covered and blocked.

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin :R

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX DP
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB (now gone)
2008 FunFinder X 210WBS (Sadly gone)
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 05:29 PM   #5

Don't even bother. If you are not going to use it in the winter no salt will effect it. I bought some spray cans of black rust paint and redid the frame on mine as the stuff they put on from the factory doesn't last and I did see some rust starting. Quick swipe with a wire brush and the paint and it is as good as new.
Citycamper is offline   Reply With Quote