Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-21-2020, 05:47 PM   #1

Default Anyone Interested?

Posted this in the FunFinder Facebook Group: So my FunFinder 210UDS is now 7 years old. Seems like a good time to replace the 120V and the 12VDC water heater thermostats as well as the heating element for my Suburban SW6 DE water heater. Anyone need any step-by-step instructions? I don't do videos, but I can create an album with pics and steps.

runner421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 01:15 PM   #2

runner, that's a very generous offer!! I personally don't have any current plans to deal with my water heater thermostat (and I don't have an electric heating element on my water heater). But it is entirely possible that someday I will need to know how to replace the thermostat, and your instructions would come in handy at that time.

Is there a rule of thumb that those items need replacing after seven years? My trailer is now eight years old -- should I be concerned?

In any event, thanks again for offering to post a "how to" thread. If you feel like undertaking that project, it would be greatly appreciated. I would definitely bookmark your discussion in my Trailer Maintenance folder!

Old 12-22-2020, 01:58 PM   #3

No rule of thumb that I'm aware of. Just a few warning signs. Since it's an electric/propane water heater, couple of warning signs. I went to the electric mode, and all looked well (the switch in the water heater compartment was "on" and illuminated.) But no hot water. Discovered a GFI outlet on the same circuit was tripped. Then pulled off the cover to the two thermostats and one of the wires to a spade connector was "burned" brown. And finally, I checked the resistance between the terminals on the heating element. I think it was around 20 Ohms. A little high, might be an indication of a bad element-or more resistance because the element is damaged.
runner421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 09:47 AM   #4

If you are going to tackle the project, pictures and a do it yourself post would be great. On my old trailers the water heater only ran on propane. I have not had one that ran on electric.
kmeindin is offline   Reply With Quote