Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2016, 09:29 PM   #1

Default Battery Charging?

So I figured out that the trailer battery charges when the truck is running (traveling). But does it charge when I am connected to shore power? Does the trailer (X-160) have a battery charger/maintainer in addition to the 120VAC to 12VDC power supply?

hotdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 07:06 AM   #2

Not sure about your unit but mine charges the battery when connected to the tow vehicle AND when connected to shore power.
I also installed a battery volt meter so easy to view battery charge level. This one:
LED Digital Battery Volt Gauge Voltmeter 12V Power Socket for Car Boat Camper | eBay

I can see the gauge as soon as I open the entrance door.

Old 09-06-2016, 08:00 AM   #3
Site Team

Yes you probably have a WFCO 8900 series power center. It includes a converter that will charge your battery when connected to shore power. It's not considered top of the line by any stretch but that's what most of the Funfinders (and a lot of other trailer brands) are equipped with.
LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 09:19 AM   #4

It might be worth considering that in reality, there is very little actual charging of the trailer battery being done from the truck.
The charging capability of the on board converter is far greater.
gmw photographics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 10:56 AM   #5

Speaking of the quality of the on-board charger, is a separate, battery maintainer better? I have always just plugged into shore power once I got home (we store the TT next to the garage under a cover)

Since I invested lots of $ on my roof top solar along with two 6v golf cart batteries, perhaps I should maintain the batteries with a better quality maintenance charger (which I already own) instead of just using the WFCO power center??
2016 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel 4x4
jbfunfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 11:47 AM   #6

My trailer is coming up on five years old, with the original battery in it. I have kept it plugged into shore power while at at home, and camp almost exclusively at Cg's with shore power. So at least for me, the WFCO has worked fine.
gmw photographics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 01:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw photographics View Post
It might be worth considering that in reality, there is very little actual charging of the trailer battery being done from the truck.
The charging capability of the on board converter is far greater.
Even if very little charging from the tow vehicle, the connection is required to supply power to the electric camper brakes.
Old 09-11-2016, 09:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfunfinder View Post
Speaking of the quality of the on-board charger, is a separate, battery maintainer better? I have always just plugged into shore power once I got home (we store the TT next to the garage under a cover)

Since I invested lots of $ on my roof top solar along with two 6v golf cart batteries, perhaps I should maintain the batteries with a better quality maintenance charger (which I already own) instead of just using the WFCO power center??
Hi Jbfunfinder,
You are in So Cal and the winters will not get as cold as they do here in MN... I pull my trailer in the back yard and cover it during the winter. With temps that drop below zero and may stay there for days or weeks, I pull my batteries (Two Grp 31 Batts), haul them into the heated garage for the winter, and put them on a battery maintainer (Actually a dual Battery Tender). During the summer (warmer camping months) I leave the trailer in the driveway on shore power...

Maybe not the best, but it works for me...

2013 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4X4 MAX Tow Package
2018 Dutchman, Coleman Lite 1805RB
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote