Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2020, 11:36 PM   #1

Default Battery for T-139

I may have an opportunity to buy two Autocraft deep cycle 24DC-1 12v batteries (550CCCA) for about $100 each. Would these work for my T-139? If they would, it seems like a "steal" for virtually "new".

ColoradoShel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 08:34 AM   #2
Site Team

Yes they will work. Assuming your trailer is set up for dual 12V batteries. But how do you intend to use your trailer? If you plan to camp mainly where electricity is available you probably only need one.
Also, a google search for that battery lists the price at $89 new + $22 for the refundable core charge. So $100 for a used battery may not be a 'steal'.

LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 09:23 AM   #3

Also, any type of flooded lead acid battery should not be stored inside the trailer because they can omit gasses when being charged. Best to keep them on the tongue of the trailer. Also, 100 bucks for used 24 sized flooded deep cycle battery is not a deal since you can probably purchase them cheaper new.
twinster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 09:44 AM   #4

Thank you. I have so much to learn!
Old 05-28-2020, 05:07 PM   #5

I have two group 31 batteries on the tongue of my X-139. One is in use, and the other is a spare. I swap them out every few days. And my 120 watt portable solar panel keeps the batteries topped up, almost all the time.
Old 05-29-2020, 08:32 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoShel View Post
Thank you. I have so much to learn!
No worries, we all had to learn sometime.

Let us know how you intend to use your trailer and we can recommend batteries suited to your needs.
LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 10:29 PM   #7

Several months later, the repair work on my 2006 T130 is finally done, there are no leaks now, I'm $3000 poorer, but I'm finally back and it's time to get the functional things functioning. I'm even more confused about batteries! "Group 31 batteries" seems like that might be helpful information. What does that mean? Looking on Amazon, only one comes up that includes Group 31 in the description, and I have no clue!

ProfDan, since you mentioned solar, please allow me to display my ignorance. I have a GoalZero Yeti 1400 with solar panels. It's not a battery - or is it? It's heavy enough to be something like that! (I guess it's a "portable power station".) https://www.goalzero.com/shop/portab...r-station-app/
But is there a way to use it and its solar panels? Or would that just be complexifying everything?

LJAZ, you said you could help if I knew how I plan to use this little FunFinder. I've thought about how to answer that. Since I've done absolutely nothing with it yet, I'm not sure if we'll quickly become friends, or if it will be one of those love-hate relationships. If I can figure out the things that are not in my skillset and make it work, it will help!

A good friend gave me driving/backing lessons a couple days ago. I would NEVER have figured that out by myself! I tried and tried to backup, applying the "turn the opposite of where you want to go" and it didn't work. I knew it was because I had no idea at all of when to straighten out, etc. My friend gave me the basics, or I would never have been safe or competent pulling this tiny trailer. (He said it's actually harder because it responds immediately. That made me feel better.) I am forever grateful for his kind tutelage. Oh, the same friend added the fence-post sewer pipe holder to the back (courtesy of ProfDan's LMIC blog, I believe). That was another major obstacle for me. And he installed LED lights for me, too, and we worked together with a glue gun to attach screen to the backs of the refrigerator vents. Hurray! No more piles of gross, dead flies!

Now that progress has been made, I'm trying to figure out what else I need to do.

I believe I can attach a new fire extinguisher, although I'm wondering about the location of the original - down near the floor right by the doorway. Is there a better place?

And I'll put the combo smoke alarm-co2 detector by the door, not by the bed.

The table is just too heavy for me to work with. I may just take it out and use a folding aluminum table - and slats of marine wood to fill in the platform for a bed, or something else. I guess that's another functional feature I need to take care of before I can go.

But it's not as important as the battery(ies)!

So if I expect that I'll go boondocking, what do I need to get? (I'm pretty sure that answer is quite different than if I plan to stay in RV parks all/most of the time.) If I think I may end up spending longer times in my FunFinder, what should I do? The tongue does have a battery box on it, but do I put double batteries there? And I think I saw but can't find again, recommendations for gauges and such that warn about battery level, propane level, water levels, etc. Oh, and surge protector/converters for times I may be in an RV park. Any help in those areas would also be appreciated. While I was waiting for the repair to be done, I did watch videos to try to learn what I need to do, but I didn't take enough notes - and some of the different ideas were also just confusing.

All that to say, I am and will be grateful for any help you can give me! (Even recommending specific models of this and that, or links) I definitely don't have deep pockets or an unlimited budget, or I'd have a little larger, 4-seasons RV, but I don't want to skimp on the things that make a real difference. I'm sure you all can help me take out a ton of guesswork and make good choices!
Old 08-18-2020, 10:42 PM   #8

I don't know anything about the Yeti, so I can't answer that question. Group 31 is a description of a class of batteries -- there are group 24, 27, 29 (I think), and 31. The bigger the number, the greater the capacity. But the bigger batteries are heavy -- how much can you lift??

Hang in there -- you will discover this is not rocket science. Things will get easier!!
Old 08-24-2020, 03:27 PM   #9

If you're starting from scratch on the batteries, I'd go with two 6 volt batteries wired together so you have 12 volts total, but double the amp hours.

Xerofall is offline   Reply With Quote