Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2016, 07:30 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigantraveler View Post
How about just yelling "GET THE GUN!!!" Really loud. I can see mace being illegal but pepper spray? And I wouldn't worry too much about a gun law if I needed to protect myself.

Just checked the laws on pepper spray...
Pepper Spray Laws in the United States | Best Pepper Spray

Here too: Pepper Spray State Laws and Restrictions

WildFire in my camper and TV as one protective measure.

From the link: "Streetwise and WildFire 18% oc sprays and both of them will effectively deal with an attacker.

These oc sprays will temporarily blind an attacker so you can get away. In addition to the temporary blindness that an attacker will have to deal with, they'll also be choking and coughing so much they won't be able to continue attacking.

Our 18% oc sprays are seriously the hottest pepper sprays made. Use these 18% oc sprays and defend yourself from a distance before an attacker has a chance to grab you. If you're looking for the hottest pepper sprays around, you've found them here."

Never needed to use a method but have insurance on the camper/TV and never expect to use them either.

It's better to have protection and not need it than to need it and not have it!

Old 08-05-2016, 07:33 PM   #22
APD

Seriously, hitting the panic button on your TVs key fob will at least scare the beejesus outta most prowlers. Works for wildlife as well I'm told.
If the TV doesn't have an alarm they are super easy to install on a FunFinder.

1994 GMC Camper Van,
APD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 09:08 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
I LIKE THAT!
Ha.... years ago they used to make an electronic dog that was set off by the doorbell or a loud knock.... sounded fierce.

That particular night I was wishing I had a Dobiomatic with us but we are pet free.
Chirpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 09:40 PM   #24

Never thought about the panic button -- that is a great idea!
profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 09:25 AM   #25
Site Team

If that had happened to us we could have unleashed 11 lbs of Morgan the Danger Dachshund on them, they'd be lucky to get out of there with all their toes.
LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 10:38 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJAZ View Post
If that had happened to us we could have unleashed 11 lbs of Morgan the Danger Dachshund on them, they'd be lucky to get out of there with all their toes.
You are right!! There is nothing worse than being attacked by a pack of wiener dogs.
Chirpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 04:41 PM   #27

I grew up in Southern Arizona, not far from the US/Mex border... 40 years ago, things were not so bad, a few illegal aliens crossing to work the picking season in the states... Things are not so friendly anymore, sure, you still have those looking for work and wouldn't hurt you... BUT there are those trafficking drugs that are armed and the story is not so mild...

The last few years before I moved here, I would prospect areas I knew, near where I grew up, and we frequently saw small bunches of illegal aliens dressed in black-op style clothing and/or camo wear, carrying backpacks and firearms... And there are those from way south around Sinaloa or Asia or the MiddleEeast... These are the bad guys!!

I actually tripped upon a smuggler's drug stash once; I just minded my own business and acted as though I didn't see or smell anything as I continued to walk away until I got out of sight in the next canyon... Then, I called the Border Patrol with what I saw and the gps coordinates... I later found out that the BP caught 12 guys all armed and over 600 lbs. of drugs...

Did I carry... Hmmm, you do the math... and I really hoped these situations wouldn't turn violent, a wheel gun is no match against several AK-47's

Like Eagle says, be aware and observant, and don't be afraid to venture out from under the bed... I might add, avoid a skirmish if possible... The authorities have more tools, both on the ground and in the air, than we do... inform them of the situation and where it is occurring... AND if you decide to carry a firearm, take a class and read the laws of each state you apply, these are super important and may differ, and you can think you are in the right, but wind up in jail... My buddy in AZ told me after he took a carry class, "I am glad I took the class and learned the what NOT to do."

Have fun camping, be aware of your surroundings, and be smart, not afraid...

2013 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4X4 MAX Tow Package
2018 Dutchman, Coleman Lite 1805RB
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 04:59 PM   #28

I often taught classes regarding prospecting and several regarding safety in he field... I reminded the attendees many a time, "We are not John Wayne, don't pull that wheel gun and start shooting, there may be more and bigger guns than you have..."

I guess this falls back on what my Dad used to tell us, use good old common horse sense and think before you act...

Have fun folks, I hope I didn't scare anyone, read this entire thread and there were only a couple of situations that may have been a threat and the campers handled them without a skirmish...

2013 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4X4 MAX Tow Package
2018 Dutchman, Coleman Lite 1805RB
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote