Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2016, 11:00 AM   #1

Default Be aware of your surroundings for safety

This is a C&P from a RV newsletter.

Bombs Found in RV Park: Who’s Camping Next To You?
By Rene Agredano

When you stay in a RV park for more than a week, you get to know your neighbors. That’s why the RVers of Zuni Village RV Park in Kingman, Arizona were shocked when newspapers reported “Bombs Found in RV Park!” Last week, police detonated bombs made inside a motorhome owned by a reclusive resident named Glenn Jones.

bombs found in RV park
The bomb squad discovered and detonated numerous improvised explosive devices and also removed 40 pounds of bomb-making materials kept inside the RV. Photo courtesy of the Kingman Police Department.
Bomb Squad Detonates Over a Dozen Bombs Found in RV Park

On July 14 Kingman, Arizona, police arrived at Zuni Village to tell stunned residents that they needed to get out, fast. Experts arrived with a robot to search Jones’ 40-foot motorhome, after connecting Jones to two bomb blasts that occurred 24-hours earlier in the rural town of Panaca, Nevada, leaving one dead.

Once inside the RV, the bomb squad found and detonated numerous improvised explosive devices. They also removed 40 pounds of bomb-making materials kept inside the RV. Jones’ nearby storage unit may have also contained bomb-building ingredients.

The Las Vegas Review-Journal reported that “A total of 15 improvised explosive devices (IEDs) were located, of varying sizes and designs. During the scene processing, 10 of the IEDs were rendered safe in a vacant field just west of the RV park,” said deputy Kingman police chief Rusty Cooper. “The remaining five, larger, IEDs have been removed and will be detonated at another location.”

Later that day, Jones’ motorhome was towed away and the next day the park’s 100 residents were allowed back into the park. A follow up investigation by authorities revealed that Jones ignited a dual blast inside a home and a car in Panaca, then killed himself with a gun.

bombs found in RV park
Jones’ motorhome being towed away. Photo courtesy of Kingman Police Department
Does Your RV Park Neighbor Have Mental Illness?

According to the Associated Press, Jones targeted the Panaca house because it belonged to two former co-workers. Back in Kingman, he was known as a quiet man who even cared for the elderly mother of another park resident. Although he had only been a resident of Zuni Village for six months, he apparently gave subtle clues to neighbors that something was amiss. In the months leading up to the bomb explosions, he:

Told neighbors he was angry with his former employer.
“…had a fascination with shells and all things military” said a resident.
Was called “quiet and courteous but tormented” according to another neighbor.
Jones admitted to being severely depressed.
He suddenly gave away hundreds of dollars to a neighbor.
bombs found in RV park
The Zuni Village RV Park in Kingman, AZ.
Nobody could have predicted that the military buff was making bombs inside his RV and putting his neighbors at risk. According to the American Psychiatric Association, Jones’ behaviors that neighbors described were classic signs of mental illness.

Had more Zuni Village RV Park residents recognized the signs, the best way to help Jones would have been to encourage him to seek counseling by a mental health professional.

As this interesting iRV2 discussion about safety, security and crime in RV parks shows, an incident such as the Kingman bomb scare can happen anywhere. Dangerous people in RV parks are no different than those living in traditional neighborhoods. The best way to avoid any hazard is to do what iRV2 Forums members suggest: be alert to your surroundings, watch for odd behaviors and if something doesn’t feel right, turn the key and leave.

Presented as a public service to fellow campers.

Old 08-02-2016, 12:41 PM   #2
APD

Well...this explains why people always seem to pack up and leave when ever we're just getting set-up.

1994 GMC Camper Van,
APD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 06:49 PM   #3

Sounds more like a trailer park than an RV park, but...
guybmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 07:18 PM   #4
APD

Quote:
Originally Posted by guybmoto View Post
Sounds more like a trailer park than an RV park, but...
Maybe a snowbird stop but otherwise looks normal for AZ.
Video:
1994 GMC Camper Van,
Old 08-02-2016, 09:32 PM   #5

Nutty people are everywhere...next door, in the car next to you at the stoplight, at your job. But we waste our lives if we run around scared all the time. Life is very short. You only really have the present. So you might as well try to not be too paranoid.
It's a big world...explore it!!!
Michigantraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 06:23 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigantraveler View Post
Nutty people are everywhere...next door, in the car next to you at the stoplight, at your job. But we waste our lives if we run around scared all the time. Life is very short. You only really have the present. So you might as well try to not be too paranoid.
Paranoid no, cautious and aware of ones' surroundings yes.

In today's world with all the nut jobs, terrorists, druggies, et. al.

Prepared and aware negates disaster.
Old 08-03-2016, 06:42 AM   #7

If you watch tv, follow the news, listen to the government you will become paranoid and suspicious quickly. But is that the reality that most of us on here live? I don't think we do. If you live in the inner city you are aware of crime much more because you live with it. But worrying about it all the time won't prevent it. I worry more about that distracted driver crossing the center line.
Old 08-03-2016, 03:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
This is a C&P from a RV newsletter.

Bombs Found in RV Park: Who’s Camping Next To You?
By Rene Agredano .....

Presented as a public service to fellow campers.
Thanks Eagle, a good post and food for thought...

2013 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4X4 MAX Tow Package
2018 Dutchman, Coleman Lite 1805RB
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 05:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_C View Post
Thanks Eagle, a good post and food for thought...
Yes, I agree.

Just as we prepare our campers & tow vehicle for a trip to avoid a disaster, being prepared personally for your safety is just as important when surrounded by an unfamiliar area and people.

I'm just to old for a physical confrontation anymore....but I won't cower in fear either.
Old 08-04-2016, 11:23 PM   #10

Default Spooky night out

In 30,000 miles of RV towing, mostly boondocking, we only had one really spooky night. We were somewhere in central Washington, near a two lane highway. It was a lonely and desolate area yet beautiful. We pulled down a dead end side road to spend the night. Nobody was around as far as the eye could see and the highway was not busy. We were asleep around 1:00 AM when we were hit with a tremendous thunderstorm complete with pouring rain, nearby lightning strikes and wind. During the storm, suddenly a car came up behind us and parked on our right side, right next to the trailer.... I mean about 1.5 feet away. I got up with a start and grabbed my very powerful police style flash light and aimed it out the window shining it right in the driver's eyes. We were tense to say the least. There were two people in the car, one possibly a woman. The driver, a man, looked up into the light and then just sat there for what seemed like 10 minutes. I closed the curtain and put out the light.

Then I heard the car door open and the guy squeezed out the narrow crack between his door and the trailer. It was still pouring heavy rain and he got soaked. I peered out a crack in the curtain as he went around to the trunk of the car, opened it and got out what appeared to be a dark colored tarp or parka. He went to the passenger window and stood there a while. We did not know what to expect. We laid back down and waited to hear pounding on the door but none came. About an hour passed, or at least it seemed like it. Then they cranked up, and drove off with their lights off. We tried to go back to sleep but after all that, I jumped at every sound. Next morning there was no evidence of their visit. Whew!

Did that stop us from boondocking? Nah.
Chirpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 07:04 AM   #11

That would definitely freak me out. That's when you would want to have a gun with you. But once in 30,000 miles are pretty good odds.
Old 08-05-2016, 07:28 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigantraveler View Post
That would definitely freak me out. That's when you would want to have a gun with you. But once in 30,000 miles are pretty good odds.
When traveling from state to state, one must know each states firearm regulations to stay within the law.

What is legal in one state may be illegal in another. In some states it's legal to carry a loaded firearm in a vehicle, either handgun or long gun (rifle/shotgun) but illegal in other states and special exceptions in some cities.

Here is a US Map of each states concealed carry laws for handguns:

Concealed Carry Permit Reciprocity Maps - USA Carry

Having had a Federal Firearms License for some 2 decades enhanced my knowledge of firearm laws, Federal and state.
Old 08-05-2016, 11:21 AM   #13

I don't worry -- I am (gasp!) an attorney. If I am ever threatened, I am capable of drafting and serving a comprehensive Temporary Restraining Order.

Just kidding. In eleven years of camping (over 600 nights!), we have never had anything happen.
profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 12:36 PM   #14
APD

We've stayed at campgrounds were people got rowdy. Drinking heavy, laughing loud, cooking burgers/steaks on a midnight grille and playing wide open southern rock!!!!
But that was just our campsite..........
The rest of the campers were so rude the next day! Imagine!

Just kidding. We actually grilled hot dogs.........
1994 GMC Camper Van,
Old 08-05-2016, 01:45 PM   #15

A restraining order will protect one with the instant authority and strength of a wet noodle IMO.

A baseball bat or butcher knife can be quite effective & recall reading somewhere more people are more afraid of a knife and getting sliced up than a gun....but ??

Pepper spray/mace is effective and will shoot quite a distance.

In places it's illegal to have pepper spray, a can of WASP SPRAY is very effective and the can will shoot a stream about 20 feet!

Crocodile Dundee had a "knife" LOL
Old 08-05-2016, 02:41 PM   #16

Eagle -- that was a joke about the restraining order. That's why I included the winky face.
Old 08-05-2016, 03:59 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by profdant139 View Post
Eagle -- that was a joke about the restraining order. That's why I included the winky face.
Yes, I figured it was

However, we both know attorneys work in "gray areas" so to speak!

Old 08-05-2016, 04:19 PM   #18

How about just yelling "GET THE GUN!!!" Really loud. I can see mace being illegal but pepper spray? And I wouldn't worry too much about a gun law if I needed to protect myself.

Just checked the laws on pepper spray...
http://bestpepperspray.net/pepper-spray-laws/
Old 08-05-2016, 06:25 PM   #19

I can also bark like a very large dog -- don't know if it would work, but if not, the bad guys would die laughing.
Old 08-05-2016, 07:23 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by profdant139 View Post
I can also bark like a very large dog -- don't know if it would work, but if not, the bad guys would die laughing.
I LIKE THAT!