Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2011, 01:23 PM   #1

Send a message via MSN to martywax
Default Break question

Hey guys!!! is it normal that my rig 189FBR is jumping on the last 10 feet of breaking? Any adjustments???

martywax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 05:06 PM   #2
Site Team

I assume by "jumping" you mean the trailer brakes are locking up. In which case - no. Sounds like your brake controller needs adjustment.

LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 09:05 AM   #3

Default Re: Break question

Quote:
Originally Posted by martywax
Hey guys!!! is it normal that my rig 189FBR is jumping on the last 10 feet of breaking? Any adjustments???
Im sorry to beg-to-differ with the other POST But Yes it is a Adjustment , I need to Adjust my FF , That was the only thing I had to do with my Layton Camper when I got it , & if a seal gave out grease gits on the HUB and can make it do that to , Im not shore @ the Brake controller
Megabusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 06:24 PM   #4

Most common cause for the "hopping" is the preload on the brake controller. Back off on the preload and it should settle down. The proper adjustment should be the trailer wheels not quite locking up when doing 25 mph and using the manual application lever on the controller to full "on". If your preload is too high, the momentum of the moving trailer will over-ride the brakes so that it isn't hopping, but, as you slow down, there isn't enough forward pressure on the shoes and they will "grab", causing that "hopping".

Grease on the drums will cause the same "hopping", but, it will happen at virtually all speeds...the drums grab the shoes through galling and it will affect braking at all speeds, not just the last 10 feet or so...

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin :R

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX DP
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB (now gone)
2008 FunFinder X 210WBS (Sadly gone)
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 11:50 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by webslave
Most common cause for the "hopping" is the preload on the brake controller. Back off on the preload and it should settle down. The proper adjustment should be the trailer wheels not quite locking up when doing 25 mph and using the manual application lever on the controller to full "on". If your preload is too high, the momentum of the moving trailer will over-ride the brakes so that it isn't hopping, but, as you slow down, there isn't enough forward pressure on the shoes and they will "grab", causing that "hopping".

Grease on the drums will cause the same "hopping", but, it will happen at virtually all speeds...the drums grab the shoes through galling and it will affect braking at all speeds, not just the last 10 feet or so...
To-sha
Megabusa is offline   Reply With Quote