Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   FunfinderClub > Fun Finder Club Community Forums > Fun Finder Community
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-01-2015, 09:29 PM   #1

Default Buying a New Fun Finder

We are so excited to purchase a new trailer. We are planning to order a

2016 Fun Finder Xtreme Lite 242BDS

would love suggestions... how do you know you are getting a great price? Anything extra we should ask for? Problems ...

We want to know everything!

Colete00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 06:47 AM   #2
Site Team

Congratulations! Is this your first trailer? Or are you moving up from something else? If this is your first time owning a trailer the best advice I can give is to spend as much time as possible with the dealer when you take delivery. Have them show you how everything works to make sure you understand how to use it as well as verify that it's working properly. If there's a problem with something have them fix it before you accept delivery.

As for price that's not so easy. It's not like cars where you can get dealer cost info pretty easily. The best I can suggest is to surf the net and see what other dealers prices are. That should at least give you a general idea.

LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 01:32 PM   #3

Default Did you buy it?

Hi there,
I know this is a bit dated, but, we are looking at the same model. Did you end up buying yours yet?
Thanks.
numberguy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 08:49 PM   #4

Hi Colete00, welcome to the Forum...

LJAZ is right on... I can't recommend more to you and if you follow his advice, you will be able to make an educated decision...

Now, the question of the day is ... Did you order your trailer???

Good luck on the trailer purchase and camping in it...

2013 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4X4 MAX Tow Package
2018 Dutchman, Coleman Lite 1805RB
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 03:50 AM   #5

There are quite a few YouTube videos that give advice on buying an RV. One in particular says you should be able to negotiate a price that is between 20 and 30% Off of the msrp. Some also say that buying at a show is not necessarily the best way to get a good price while others say it is because dealers like to brag about how many units they moved. Go figure. I agree. Go over the unit with a fine tooth comb and don't take delivery until everything is fixed. If you wait you might end up with the unit sitting at the dealer waiting in line to be fixed and with possible problems with getting them to warranty the items. Don't be afraid to go out of your area to get s good deal. It may be worth it. And don't let them tell you that you can only get your unit repaired by them. It's not true. I too would love to know how your buying experience went.
It's a big world...explore it!!!
Michigantraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 07:31 AM   #6

All good advise presented above.

I would add, that it also pays to shop several different dealerships that market the brand/model you are interested in. Often you will find their final selling price will vary by thousands of dollars....and that will more than pay for driving an extra hundred or so miles.
Old 01-30-2016, 10:31 AM   #7

Buy an Airstream. All the rest are junk! I bought a 2014 Fun Finder and have had nothing but problems with it, like major problems! Do not buy anything from Cruiser RV! Buyer beware! If you do, buy the extended warranty and read over it with a fine tooth comb! Anything electrical (I have had a lot of electrical problems caused from factory installation) are not covered in most warranties. I'm telling you this not to be negative, but I wish I would have researched and check reviews out before I bought from Cruiser, it's been a total nightmare!
Bill Sorensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 10:45 AM   #8

Not everyone wants to or can afford to spend over $50,000 for a used 23' airstream camping trailer...like here: 2015 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB, Benton LA - - RVtrader.com

They are referred to as the "Silver Bullet".
Old 01-30-2016, 02:20 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
Not everyone wants to or can afford to spend over $50,000 for a used 23' airstream camping trailer...like here: 2015 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB, Benton LA - - RVtrader.com

They are referred to as the "Silver Bullet".
And even Airstreams have issues. If someone could afford an Airstream and liked them why would they have bought a Fun Finder?
Old 01-30-2016, 03:46 PM   #10

Well, I can't answer your question but then, as they say:

"Life is full of choices"

Old 01-30-2016, 04:10 PM   #11

My wife talked me into it. I wanted and would have bought an Airstream. I regret my decision.
2017 Lance 2285
Old 01-31-2016, 04:15 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Sorensen View Post
Buy an Airstream. All the rest are junk! I bought a 2014 Fun Finder and have had nothing but problems with it, like major problems! Do not buy anything from Cruiser RV! Buyer beware! If you do, buy the extended warranty and read over it with a fine tooth comb! Anything electrical (I have had a lot of electrical problems caused from factory installation) are not covered in most warranties. I'm telling you this not to be negative, but I wish I would have researched and check reviews out before I bought from Cruiser, it's been a total nightmare!
Before buying any brand, Airstream included, I would suggest you go hang out on the brand specific forum, and do searches about what problems owners are reporting. Also, if possible being able to talk to folks at different campgrounds helps.
All brands have pluses and drawbacks. Good research pays off in the long run, no matter the brand or price point. I've talked to folks with motorhomes that cost between $500K and a million dollars, and heard many of the same complaints of failures that we hear about on all these travel trailer brands.
I'm fortunate that I get to spend six to eight month of the year on the road, so I get to meet and talk to a lot of different owners.

EDIT: PS, a little further thought on this, if a person like Bill really dislikes something like the trailer he has, my take on it is to sell it on down the road and try something else. Life is too short to be living with something that just upsets you every time you look at it. An example is a couple here on this forum that tried two or three different campers that did not work out for them. They now have bought a smaller, simpler unit, and seem to really love how this one is working for them. Trial and error is sometimes what it takes.
gmw photographics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 05:21 PM   #13

I agree with everything you say. I've thought about selling and buying something different, I will take a big hit on the resell, the way it sounds, if I buy something different, I'll be starting all over again. If I do that, I'll look seriously into Airstream again. This really has made me into a crazy person according to my wife and I agree with her.��
The last time I was on the phone with Cruiser RV, they hung up on me. I threw my phone on the couch, looked up, my wife was standing there, her words "who are you? Do I know you?" Married 33 years. I felt like a jerk! You are right, life's to short! We have had a blast going places, 3 weeks up the Oregan coast, Arizona for spring training baseball twice, Colorado, Lake Powell numerous times. Every time we've gone on a trip, we've brought it home with a major problem. That's frustrating! Love RVing if we can get all the bugs worked out of our FunFinder or possibly get a different brand.
2017 Lance 2285
Old 02-01-2016, 10:37 AM   #14

There is also the possibility that RV'ing is simply "not for everybody". I have some good friends back home that had a fifth wheel for a number of years. They only sort of "liked the experience". They sold it, and now do all of their travel in their car, and stay in motels, and they love it.

I spent several decades traveling all over the US and Canada by motorcycle ( moteling it along the way mostly ) on my vacation time. I loved it, but wanted to move on to a different kind of travel, so here I am with this trailer. This suits me better at this retired time of my life.
gmw photographics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 12:35 PM   #15

Yes, different people get into an RV for different reasons. For many it would be more cost effective to not buy an RV and just travel and stay in motels. That person would only use the RV maybe 6 times a year. The rest of the time it would just sit there. Some people are more social and enjoy the campground ambience of nice RV resorts. Lots of activities and socializing. They spend most of their time at the campground with occasional trips in the surrounding area if they have a tow vehicle or a motor home. We are interested in exploring an area. Drop the trailer and explore in our vehicle. That could mean full hook ups or boondocking. But freedom to explore is most important. We are on a strict budget so fancy campgrounds are not something we desire. Beauty and privacy will be high on our list and mid week camping rather than weekends.
Old 02-01-2016, 12:35 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw photographics View Post
There is also the possibility that RV'ing is simply "not for everybody". I have some good friends back home that had a fifth wheel for a number of years. They only sort of "liked the experience". They sold it, and now do all of their travel in their car, and stay in motels, and they love it.

I spent several decades traveling all over the US and Canada by motorcycle ( moteling it along the way mostly ) on my vacation time. I loved it, but wanted to move on to a different kind of travel, so here I am with this trailer. This suits me better at this retired time of my life.
Yes, good advice given. I too spend decades (from the 60's) traveling around the USA by motorcycle. With limited cargo space on a bike, tenting it & motel rooms were the option. But, as age progresses, traveling by motorcycle is preferred but tenting it is not liked by these old bones. And that is what prompted me to get a Toy Hauler ~ a compromise that works well here.

Campground amenities are of little use to us and never use a pool. We park it, do the set-up and spend the day (s) site seeing, visiting museums/historical places via the motorcycle. If the weather is ugly, just take the tow vehicle. When we get back to the campground it's usually late to eat if haven't already, watch a little tv/news/weather and get some sleep for the next busy day.

Old 02-01-2016, 12:56 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
Yes, good advice given. I too spend decades (from the 60's) traveling around the USA by motorcycle. With limited cargo space on a bike, tenting it & motel rooms were the option. But, as age progresses, traveling by motorcycle is preferred but tenting it is not liked by these old bones. And that is what prompted me to get a Toy Hauler ~ a compromise that works well here.

Campground amenities are of little use to us and never use a pool. We park it, do the set-up and spend the day (s) site seeing, visiting museums/historical places via the motorcycle. If the weather is ugly, just take the tow vehicle. When we get back to the campground it's usually late to eat if haven't already, watch a little tv/news/weather and get some sleep for the next busy day.

We would need a really big toy hauler for our two motorcycles. I guess they are at least 8' long each with bags on both.
Old 02-01-2016, 01:03 PM   #18

My Harley Davidson Ultra Classic with tour pack and bags fits fine.....and have hauled two at once when BIL went with 2 years ago.

The garage is 9' long and two full dressers fit side by side.

Here are the specs:

2012 Cruiser RV Fun Finder Xtra XT 276 Trailer : Reviews, Prices and Specs : RV Guide

And photos w/specs:
2012 Fun Finder Xtra XT-276 Toy Hauler Travel Trailer by Cruiser RV Stock# 022791 Inventory - The Original RVWholesalers

And no, my selling dealer did not charge near the prices shown even tho it was a special order from the factory.
Old 02-01-2016, 02:06 PM   #19

Way more than we could pay. Much larger. Nice unit.
Old 02-02-2016, 07:00 AM   #20
APD

Talking

Travelling and RV living is different at different times in life. The Michigantraveler touched on a note that we've found made a larger difference that we expected. That's mid-week camping. After retirement we found traveling and camping without having to "fight the masses" on the weekend/holiday to be a much more relaxing experience. Maybe it was just not having to be back at work on Monday, but it was totally different and more fun. We've found fellow campers/loafers who have given it another try later in their life and found they loved it.
Site seeing, finding the little mom&pop diners/cafes, even shopping is better.

Heck, sometimes we'll run across people to talk to that won't quit listening long enough for us to walk away from 'em!

1994 GMC Camper Van,
APD is offline   Reply With Quote