Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2021, 06:41 PM   #1

Default Camper out of winter storage yesterday

I brought my Fun Finder Toy Hauler home from winter storage late yesterday. It's good to have it home again.

Starting next week - will be going thru the unit with some interior dusting/clean-up from it's long winters' nap. And give the exterior a good wash job with a wash/wax product and clean the roof, check and seal, if needed, any caulking around the vents/skylights/the A/C, etc.

Will take a look underneath at the suspension mounts for wear, lube the bearings and check the tires including the spare for proper air pressure. Also check the garage area tie downs so they are secure.

Also flush the RV antifreeze from the fresh water system and check/test run all systems, including exterior lights to assure they are fully operational before the first outing.

Nights can still dip below freezing for a short time so probably won't be taking an outing for awhile so have ample time to check everything and decide where the first outing will be to.

Old 04-19-2021, 08:48 AM   #2

Good to hear Eagle, yesterday I took advantage and pulled the cover off and "Summerized" it. No need to wax or clean as mine looks like I just put it away. Tested all systems and just have the hot water tank to fill and test. All systems are good. Ready for another season. Next is the boat trailer and out board.
Attached Thumbnails
20200519_173744.jpg   20191103_143143.jpg  

Old 04-20-2021, 11:51 AM   #3

After the long winter nap - will be time to sanitize the water system before the first outing.

Some use the old bleach method ... I do not. I read this several years ago and have used it ever since and found it much better.

".
The way I Sanitize My RV's Fresh Water Tank.

A friend and fellow full time RVer, Bill Randolph told me how he uses something other than household bleach which works well for him and I also started using it. I think is worth passing on to you. Before he retired, Bill spent twenty years in the swimming pool business. He's an expert when it comes to sanitizing swimming pools and spas and says the same rules apply to RV fresh water systems.
Bill uses Chlorinating Concentrate (Sodium Dichloro-s-Triazinetricone or Sodium Dichlor for short). Sodium Dichlor contains 62% available chlorine. Compare that to household bleach which has something close to 3%. One pound of Sodium Dichlor is equal to 8 gallons of bleach! Also, household bleach contains other stuff, including a lot of salt, and that salt and other stuff is what causes the bad taste and why you have to flush the fresh water tank so well.
Bill says it takes only 1 teaspoon of the concentrate per 100 gallons of water to initially sanitize the system. Remember to run water through all the faucets. After that, just a half teaspoon per 100 gallons with each refill will keep the tank fresh.
Like most of us, Bill travels with a near empty tank to reduce weight so when he arrives at park where he plans to stay for a while he drops a half teaspoon of the concentrate into the fill tube and fills his water tank. This insures the system will always be sanitized.
This is not a case where more is better. This stuff is concentrated and it's best to use just what Bill recommends.
Because Chlorinating Concentrate is so highly concentrated you only need to carry a small container. And it is dry crystals so there is less chance of a spill. However, because it is so concentrated it is highly corrosive so you do have to be careful how you store it and use it. You should be able to find Chlorinating Concentrate at any pool supplies or spa store. Bill says there are several brands to choose from. "
Old 04-25-2021, 09:06 AM   #4

Planned to tidy up the inside of the camper today but it snowed some this morning and only 33 degrees outside.

Think I will wait until a bit warmer and not run the furnace.
Old 04-25-2021, 01:24 PM   #5

Default cold weather camping

Not that we're jumping the gun on camping but we de-winterized our XT 276 easter weekend and have been spending weekends in it since. Than again we keep ours at a seasonal site. Oh ya, we had snow on the deck one weekend and when we headed home today we left light flurries behind. By the way all systems survived the winter.
Old 05-24-2021, 04:04 PM   #6

I know that it might be considered late by many but I’ll be hauling my camper “home” on June 1st! In relation to past history that’s early since in 2019 & 2020 the camper didn’t come out of storage until September ��. I pay $25/month for covered storage which is way worth the cost if I have issues (hail damage, leakage, vandalism) if it sits on the storage pad in the yard and we’re not ready to use it. ��

2007 Shadow Cruiser x210, 2004 RAM 2500 4x4 QuadCab SLT 5.9L CTD, Factory Tow Pkg (3.73 axle), HaulMaster WDH
RipVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 09:22 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipVan View Post
I know that it might be considered late by many but I’ll be hauling my camper “home” on June 1st! In relation to past history that’s early since in 2019 & 2020 the camper didn’t come out of storage until September ��. I pay $25/month for covered storage which is way worth the cost if I have issues (hail damage, leakage, vandalism) if it sits on the storage pad in the yard and we’re not ready to use it. ��
While there’s ALWAYS some possibility for plans to be deferred, I did, bring the camper home on June 1st! Unbeknownst to me, the storage rate had jumped to $30/month but that’s still quite reasonable for indoor (unheated ), “mouse-free” (family of barn cats) nearby storage!
I had plans (yup, they were deferred) to do some maintenance over the Winter but they will now be “works in progress” for the rest of the season. Basic “fluff & buff” starts today !

2007 Shadow Cruiser x210, 2004 RAM 2500 4x4 QuadCab SLT 5.9L CTD, Factory Tow Pkg (3.73 axle), HaulMaster WDH
RipVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 12:28 PM   #8

Today is Wednesday, June 2nd and temps to be in the mid 80's and the forecast (if anyone believes the weather forecasters) is for the temperature to be 100 degrees on Friday, June 4th and 101 on Saturday, June 5th. The following week in the 90's so good you got yours home from winter storage before it got to hot. LOL

PS: Gladly trade some over 80 weather for some 60-70 degree weather...as don't like HOT. I'd be happy it it NEVER got over 80 degrees.