Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2020, 11:17 AM   #1

Default Campers not level with the tow vehicle.

Maybe I've just been paying more attention than before, but it seems like in the past couple of years, I've seen more and more bumper pull and 5th wheel campers that sit either very noticeably high or low in the front.

Yesterday while waiting in a parking lot facing a highway, no less than two 5th wheel campers passed with the front sitting high to the tow vehicle and 4 - 5 campers with either the front or rear un-level with the tow vehicle. One was so low in front, I though maybe the rear axle wheels were off the ground.

No idea why anyone would pull a camper in such a fashion .. and some of those mentioned about were from out of state so traveled well over a hundred miles.

Old 09-20-2020, 04:29 PM   #2

Probably a number of reasons, but the most likely ones are stupidity and impatience. Same is true for someone driving their rig at 75-80 mph with trailer tires rated for 65 mph. Unfortunately, their incompetence is our danger.

twinster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 05:45 PM   #3

Eagle, I think we have a lot of newbies on the road this year -- lots of rookie mistakes are being made. I have friends who are just getting into RVing because other forms of travel are unavailable, and I can tell from their questions that they don't even know what they don't know.

I vividly remember that sensation of being at the bottom end of a long steep learning curve!
Old 09-24-2020, 07:23 PM   #4
APD

Talking

I agree. So many people now-a-days have so little understanding of simple mechanics.
Any stress placed on tow vehicles and trailers from being improperly hitched or loaded is way beyond their understanding. Just look in the mirror at that tailgater 6 feet from your rear bumper and you know they have no knowledge of inertia, reaction time or stopping distance. These folks put themselves and everyone around at risk.
The other day, while buying fuel, I watched a person circle the gas pumps three times trying to get the gas cap and the pump in the same place......
They sell hitches to these people..... there should be a test.
1994 GMC Camper Van,
APD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 09:00 PM   #5

I've "only" owned a camper and been towing for 8 years, but I'll say most are simply lack of experience and knowledge. So many people I talk to that are thinking about buying a camper have no idea. "I'll figure it out as I go along." It's like people that talk about buying a boat. Sounds good, don't sweat the details, it will all work out. I guess it's up to the owners with more experience to keep sharing the knowledge in a non-confrontational and friendly way.
runner421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 05:21 AM   #6

I cannot disagree with any of the above posts.

Heck, 75% of the drivers these days have no idea the proper procedure to get thru a 4 way stop signed intersection....it's just crazy.

For those wondering..........it's the first vehicle stopped is first to go. :-O
Old 09-25-2020, 08:45 AM   #7
APD

BTW, not to change the subject but, who owns a dashcam? I have one that I've had for about a year and really love reviewing all the strange stuff it's recorded. When we're driving and have a near miss or someone will cut us off or pulls out in front of us, we'll hit the save button and watch it again later. While it's destroyed my faith in mankind, I believe it's made me more cautious.
1994 GMC Camper Van,
APD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 12:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by APD View Post
BTW, not to change the subject but, who owns a dashcam? I have one that I've had for about a year and really love reviewing all the strange stuff it's recorded. When we're driving and have a near miss or someone will cut us off or pulls out in front of us, we'll hit the save button and watch it again later. While it's destroyed my faith in mankind, I believe it's made me more cautious.
Bought one once but to damn difficult to figure out how to make it work so sent it back.
Old 09-25-2020, 03:34 PM   #9

No problem here. Nothing to see. Move along. . .
Attached Thumbnails
119829680_3601925786532878_4824385886065571506_n.jpg  
runner421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 12:05 PM   #10

That's just plain stupid! I wouldn't tow that with a full size half ton. Probably a rental.

Quote:
Originally Posted by runner421 View Post
IDTag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 12:13 PM   #11

Whoa !! There's an idiot. I believe a 2door Wrangler has a max tow rating of 3,500 lbs. I've towed light (under 2,000lbs) loads with a wrangler and it's not fun, they don't handle well with no load, let alone with a trailer. This guy is lookin' for some major trouble. hope he doesn't kill someone
mjpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 05:29 PM   #12

Default Nothing to See

Quote:
Runner241 do you mind if I share that photo with my Jeep group?
Old 09-28-2020, 06:06 PM   #13

Quote:
That would be funny if it weren't so dangerous. Let's see how many tow rules/laws that person broke.
1. Hitch weight cannot possibly be at 10% of trailer weight. Probably added weight to back of trailer to lighten hitch.
2. Combined weight of TT and TV over the legal limit for TV.
3. Will be impossible to control sway, once it starts.
Old 09-29-2020, 08:35 AM   #14

Yeah, I can barely tow my 139FK in my 4-door Wrangler. 3500 is the max, and even then I think those numbers are inflated.

Is it me, or does that picture look like they have the front stabilizers down?
Xerofall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 10:58 AM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerofall View Post
Is it me, or does that picture look like they have the front stabilizers down?
I think the steps are lowered.

That appears to be a Mallard M33 with a dry weight of 7746 lbs. Loaded up it's easily going to be at least 8500 lbs. So only 5000 lbs over the tow rating. No point even talking about payload.
LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 01:09 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJAZ View Post
I think the steps are lowered.
Yes, I see it now.

Funny thing... the Jeep's rear is forced down by the weight making the front end stick up, I'm willing to bet he gets flashed while driving because his headlights are angled up so much.
Xerofall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 04:01 PM   #17

I posted this elsewhere- but since this is about newbie mistakes, I'll add my question to this thread as well:

I will receive a FFX139 trailer tomorrow (seller is delivering to my house), and plan to tow it with a Mazda B4000 SE truck (4L/V6). The truck has the factory tow package and is rated to tow up to 6000 lbs. per sticker on hitch receiver.

I have upgraded the electrical to 7 pin and installed the electric brake controller.

Questions:
Will I need a hitch weight distribution system (specs for 139 say it weighs 200 lbs)
Will I need a sway control system with this size trailer?
If so- what do people recommend? I've read about the Equalizer and Andersen, both systems cost about the same. Any pros/cons?

Any other suggestions and recommendations welcome also-

Thanks!
WaltzingMatilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 04:54 PM   #18

[QUOTE=WaltzingMatilda;28440]I posted this elsewhere- but since this is about newbie mistakes, I'll add my question to this thread as well:

I will receive a FFX139 trailer tomorrow (seller is delivering to my house), and plan to tow it with a Mazda B4000 SE truck (4L/V6). The truck has the factory tow package and is rated to tow up to 6000 lbs. per sticker on hitch receiver.

I have upgraded the electrical to 7 pin and installed the electric brake controller.

Questions:
Will I need a hitch weight distribution system (specs for 139 say it weighs 200 lbs)
Will I need a sway control system with this size trailer?
If so- what do people recommend? I've read about the Equalizer and Andersen, both systems cost about the same. Any pros/cons?

Any other suggestions and recommendations welcome also-

In my opinion a WDH is not necessary give the size of the trailer and tow vehicle. I would recommend, however, a sway control bar (friction type).
Old 10-14-2020, 04:55 PM   #19

In "Trailer Life" magazine, annually readers/users of camper products get to rate numerous items - one of which weight distributing hitch is the best.

For EIGHT YEARS IN A ROW, the Equalizer hitch is rated the BEST!

I have an Equalizer WD hitch with built in 4 way sway control and it performs with excellence!