Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2022, 09:13 AM   #1

Default Camping after cataract surgery

Well it's been a interesting month of cataract surgeries. It will be nice to get one more camping trip in before the snow flies and I head back down to Florida for the winter. I want to wait at least three weeks after the last eye before dealing with campfire smoke.

twinster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 04:55 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinster2 View Post
Well it's been a interesting month of cataract surgeries. It will be nice to get one more camping trip in before the snow flies and I head back down to Florida for the winter. I want to wait at least three weeks after the last eye before dealing with campfire smoke.
Had cataracts removed early this spring. Surprised at how quick it was and no after-effects.

Which lens did you have installed - see clear up close or at a distance? I chose to see clear at a distance and very pleased with the decision. I would have liked the lens that lets one see both up close and distance clearly without ever needing glasses but they would have been an extra $5,200 per eye and the VA would not cover that cost.

Old 09-15-2022, 07:05 PM   #3

Eagle-

I decided on distance replacement lenses and I understand completely regarding the issue of cost. For me, I've been wearing glasses for almost sixty years so wearing them for reading is no big deal and besides, doing anything close like building RC planes or working on cars, it's nice to have something that protects my eyes. Anyway, considering I was legally blind without glasses last month to seeing things clear at distance without glasses now, it's just amazing.
twinster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 07:13 AM   #4

Twinster 2

Yes, my choice for the same reason. I've worn glasses since around the 4th grade so wearing them up close for reading or working on cars/motorcycles/firearms/etc. is not an issue at all.

Old 09-16-2022, 08:37 AM   #5

I had cataract surgery a couple year ago. Went.with the distance. They would only do one eye at a time but not a long recovery. Biggest thing is remembering how bright thing are. How vivid. I need glasses to type this but I don't mind. I remember one particular night staring at the stars. It marvelous to see them again.
dustyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 08:46 AM   #6

Mine were both done at the same time. Easy, painless in and out procedure. Arrived in the AM, procedure done and left same morning - simple walk in procedure.

It was done at a clinic that only does eye surgery/care. I noticed there were
maybe people having the procedure so asked the nurse who said they do near 150 a day.

Obviously - given the price charged, I was in the wrong business.

Old 09-16-2022, 12:44 PM   #7

This is a fascinating thread -- I've got cataracts (making it difficult to drive at night!), and I thought that cataract surgery was a big deal that would put me out of action for a long time.

Thanks for setting me straight!! We're going camping for a month starting tomorrow (to the North Cascades of Washington), but I am headed to the eye doctor as soon as we get back.
Old 09-16-2022, 04:38 PM   #8

Perhaps a decade or so ago it was a big deal but no longer.

I as recall, got to the eye clinic about 8:30 AM for the prep - had the surgery that was simple and totally painless and walked out about 10:30 AM all finished. You need someone with you to drive you home afterwards and have to wear the dark, plastic sunglasses they give you for a few hours or until back inside a building/home.

They used to do one eye and a day or so later, the second eye but now they do both eyes at the same time - anyway that his how they did mine.

They give you some drops to put in your eyes for a few days afterwards and no/limited lifting for a day or so and no rubbing your eyes. They recommend you wear some goggles when sleeping so you don't rub your eyes for several days afterwards, in your sleep or when waking up.

And vision is perfect afterwards too...either close up or at a distance depending on the replacement lens chosen. I suppose both way if get the lens that will eliminate glasses entirely.

PS: I should mention, without deep pockets or insurance coverage - the procedure isn't free.

The cataract surgery was, including the pre-testing, surgery, eye drops and new reading glasses totaled around $7,500 - $8,000.

Prices vary so check first.
Old 09-16-2022, 11:07 PM   #9

If I could have clear vision again, I would pay a lot more than $8K -- priceless!

Again, thanks for the info. I must not have gotten the memo on this.
Old 09-17-2022, 07:48 AM   #10

IF you are a veteran, the VA will cover the cost with the exception of the co-pay.

And same for hearing aids.

Your time in service EARNED you this care.
Old 09-25-2022, 08:42 PM   #11

Medicare also covers cataract surgery if it's done using traditional surgical techniques or using lasers (make sure you get an ophthalmologist who accepts Medicare or TriCare).

There's another option for lenses. Many docs recommend monovision IOLs. They implant a lens to correct near vision in your non-dominant eye and a lens on your dominant eye to correct for distance. I figured that would drive me crazy and told my eye doc I didn't want it but ended up with it anyway. I don't like it but have learned to live with it and it does mean I can see to put a nut on a stud that's just a few inches from my nose.

And, surprisingly, I passed the Florida eye test when I renewed my license which means I can drive without corrective lenses until I'm 88. Be very afraid.
2013 GMC Sierra
NorthPuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 06:38 AM   #12

You lost me on: "I can drive without corrective lenses until I'm 88."

Does that indicate if you live/drive in Florida after turning 88 - you have to wear corrective lens - or can't you drive at all in Florida after 88 year old?

Not a concern for me as I've been to Florida three times and don't ever care to return - to darn hot and humid, reminded me of my mid 1960's military tour in SE Asia.
Old 09-26-2022, 10:24 AM   #13

I'm a Florida resident.

The state requires us to renew driver licenses or ID card every eight years but only ever other renewal requires an in-person visit with an eye test. I passed the eye test last year so my next renewal, at age 80, will be done online. They'll drag my butt in front of the machine again at age 88. If I can finesse the machine again, I guess that would mean they won't restest me until age 104. Hmmm. My kids may insist I stop driving by then, but there's still hope.
2013 GMC Sierra
NorthPuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 10:52 AM   #14

OK - understand now. Yes, every state is somewhat different on drivers licensing.

Here - a license is good for 6 years and then if zero violations no written test but each renewal requires an eye exam by looking into their little machine for depth perception and clear vision.