Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2016, 07:50 PM   #1

Default Chasing 70 Degrees

A full timer on s YouTube video said he spends his time "chasing 70 degrees." Sounds like a great idea.

I'm boondocking up in Monte Vista, Colorado. It is 70 degrees and wonderful. Perfect weather.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20160812_184511378_HDR.jpg  

Thomas Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 10:31 PM   #2

Looks like a nice spot! Thanks for sharing.
-Linc

Old 08-13-2016, 02:34 PM   #3

If you are camping in an arid climate, a swamp cooler (evaporation cooler) works pretty good. It does not cool as well as AC but it can drop the temperature 10-20 degrees. The beauty of a swamp cooler is it only needs a fan and a little water so it is a low power drain.
hotdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 06:22 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotdog View Post
If you are camping in an arid climate, a swamp cooler (evaporation cooler) works pretty good. It does not cool as well as AC but it can drop the temperature 10-20 degrees. The beauty of a swamp cooler is it only needs a fan and a little water so it is a low power drain.
I grew up in Southern AZ and we had a Swamp-Box on the house and Dad had a 56 Oldsmobile that he had installed a removable swamp-box. He would set it in front of the front seat, where it's legs straddled the floor hump. It plugged into the cig-lighter outlet and we would add a little water once in a while. It was no AC, but it did provide some cooler air

If a person could find one of these old/small units, it might help cool a small trailer, but I wouldn't run out and buy a sweater yet... The humidity has to be very low for these things to do too much... Good idea to investigate though and good luck with it...

2013 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4X4 MAX Tow Package
2018 Dutchman, Coleman Lite 1805RB
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 10:33 AM   #5

Default Maybe 40%

So maybe searching for low humidity would be a good travel goal? I'm just throwing out that anything less than 40% would be great . . . ?
runner421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 12:56 PM   #6

Just got back from a week of camping in the Eastern Sierra at 9500 feet – 70° in the daytime, and 40° at night. 10% humidity. Great sleeping weather! But bring your own oxygen . . . .
profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 05:59 PM   #7

Just returned from the 76th Annual Sturgis Motorcycle Rally.

Daytime temps near 80 degrees ......... perfect riding weather.

Nightime temps mid 50's for great sleeping weather.

Have a wonderful time!

Old 08-15-2016, 06:00 PM   #8

Just returned from the 76th Annual Sturgis Motorcycle Rally.

Daytime temps near 80 degrees ......... perfect riding weather.

Nightime temps mid 50's for great sleeping weather.

Have a wonderful time!

Old 08-16-2016, 05:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Aaron View Post
A full timer on s YouTube video said he spends his time "chasing 70 degrees." Sounds like a great idea.

I'm boondocking up in Monte Vista, Colorado. It is 70 degrees and wonderful. Perfect weather.
I see in your picture you have a FF model with a dark color front cap. Assuming you sometimes camp in higher temps, I would be interested in your opinion of owning a trailer with a dark color front cap. Does it feel hot inside? Do you think a white front cap would be noticeably cooler? We do a lot of camping in hotter areas and are considering buying a new trailer. Many of the newer models have dark front caps. Anyone else out there with an opinion about this?
2016 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel 4x4
jbfunfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 10:27 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfunfinder View Post
I see in your picture you have a FF model with a dark color front cap. Assuming you sometimes camp in higher temps, I would be interested in your opinion of owning a trailer with a dark color front cap. Does it feel hot inside? Do you think a white front cap would be noticeably cooler? We do a lot of camping in hotter areas and are considering buying a new trailer. Many of the newer models have dark front caps. Anyone else out there with an opinion about this?

Well, this is my first RV, so I can't speak to that from experience. But my 266-kirb is well insulated. We just drove back from NM in 96 degree weather. It was miserable outside. But when we pulled over for a potty break, it week pleasantly cool inside the RV. This is after driving for six hours.

Thomas Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote