Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2016, 10:19 AM   #1

Default Could you live in a small trailer full-time?

We are in a quandry. Just put a contract on some land with almost 3 months until closing. We haven't sold our house yet, but if we sell and close within the usual month, we're going to be homeless for awhile.

I think I could live in the trailer in a park somewhere. Dh doesn't. But then, he needs to work from home a lot also.

Anyone tried it? Our trailer is a 210.

Marti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 02:31 PM   #2

We have lived for six weeks (travelling) in our X-139 -- very tiny. We had no hookups most of that time. No problem. So in a "big" trailer like yours, with hookups, no problem, right?

profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 05:08 PM   #3

I spend the winter in AZ for just under 5 months in my 189FDS. Easy for me....but....and this is the big "but"....it's just me and my little dog now. I would not want to stay in a confined space with someone else for very long ( like about an hour is enough for me.... )
gmw photographics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 08:07 AM   #4
Site Team

Can it be done? Sure. Lots of people do it. Even in those tiny teardrops with the kitchen outside. Can you do it? If others can, then you can. Will you like it? Only you can answer that one. Good luck whichever way you decide.
LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 07:31 PM   #5
N&K

Send a message via AIM to N&K

My in-laws lived in a 28' motorhome for 30+ years. They had all of the basics of life, a roof over their heads, a place to cook, and a bathroom/shower. So, I echo the comments above. It depends on your commitment and the location of your trailer. Neighbors can have an influence on what you want to put up with.
Old 05-08-2016, 08:13 AM   #6

I sure could but wouldn't work for the wife ~ as in claustrophobic.
Old 05-09-2016, 12:15 PM   #7

I did it by myself for a couple years. To do it with a spouse? It would be "cozy."
guybmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 06:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marti View Post
We are in a quandry. Just put a contract on some land with almost 3 months until closing. We haven't sold our house yet, but if we sell and close within the usual month, we're going to be homeless for awhile.

I think I could live in the trailer in a park somewhere. Dh doesn't. But then, he needs to work from home a lot also.

Anyone tried it? Our trailer is a 210.
Hi Marti,
My wife, our cat, and myself spend at least 3 months a year in a FF 190 (Rough Inside Dimensions @ 7.5' x 16'... Total ~120 square feet) camping at several days at a time to a month at a time and really do not have any problems.

Yes, it is a bit tight, but with the added room of the outdoors and not becoming a prisoner of confinement helps. for extended trips (over just a few days), it is nice to stay in a campground with full hook-ups. We open the awning when weather permits and extend our living space to include the awning area; barbecues are great; meeting folks camped near can help break the monotony; and the campground of choice can make a big difference. For example, the Escapees CG's have an activity center that also worked to help their guests enjoy the time there with things like sewing, card games, jigsaw puzzles, a library, DVD loans, group walks, a nice laundry mat, and the list goes on. I was metal detecting during a portion of the day and my wife enjoyed some of the activities, TV, quiet time, and reading. I made sure I spent time with her, took walks in the evening, worked jigsaw puzzles, enjoyed pot-luck gatherings, watching TV in the quiet of our Tiny Home... doing much of what we do at home...

I am guessing that your trailer is larger, i.e., at ~21' and it is probably about 7.5' wide inside x about 18' long inside... that gives you a whopping 135 square feet of living are... or there about. Many Tiny houses today are as small as 120 square feet.... So, yes, I could live in my almost 10% smaller space, with my wife and cat...

Good luck and remember to enjoy life as it is, and slow down to smell the roses...

2013 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4X4 MAX Tow Package
2018 Dutchman, Coleman Lite 1805RB
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 06:52 PM   #9

Oh...and by "living" in there, I mean...

I rarely cooked in it.
I had a gym membership, which is where I took most of my showers.
I also had an electrical plug-in.
guybmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 08:06 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by guybmoto View Post
Oh...and by "living" in there, I mean...

I rarely cooked in it.
I had a gym membership, which is where I took most of my showers.
I also had an electrical plug-in.
Yes, the cooking is the part that makes me hesitate. Since we took out the booth, there is no counter space unless I put a cutting board on the stove, and I found out the hard way that a plastic cutting board can NOT be on there when the oven is in use.

Marti is offline   Reply With Quote