Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2015, 07:20 AM   #1

Default F I N A L L Y - A Successful Trip

I was out 10 nights. NOTHING broke, failed, leaked, defrosted, or exploded. I was one happy camper! Worst thing that happened was a loose screw on the screen door. My limited abilities allowed me to correct the problem (even though it took me 10 minutes to find that little square screwdriver - why in the world do they use that square one? Flat or Phillips doesn't do the same job?)

Anyway, for those of you who have family in Chicago's far west burbs, there are two new campgrounds - Kane County Forest Preserve. I was at the one in Big Rock. The other is in Elgin. $25 for non-Kane County residents; $15 otherwise.

Got to attend a little "train party". These little trains (mostly steam locomotives) are all hand made/machined by their engineers. This engineer was my morse code teacher over 25 years ago...

And breakfast when a girlfriend spent the night - tomato juice, champagne, breakfast skillet (onions, potatoes, green peppers, b'fast sausage, eggs, cheese), English muffins, and coffee...

All-in-all, the most fun I've had in this Fun Finder since I've had it! YAY!

PS: We had a HUGE monster downpour here at home early this morning. Just now went inside the trailer with a flashlight - didn't see leaks anywhere. Another YAY! Isn't it great when things work out?

Old 09-29-2015, 05:53 PM   #2

A loose screw, and you call it a successful trip?

That's good news, and I'm happy to hear it went well.

The more I think about it, the more I think I was *really* lucky with my last trailer. No major problems with it in six years. I was even soaking under Hurricane Irene for a bit.

The next trip out is to Las Vegas in the middle of October.

guybmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 07:45 AM   #3
Site Team

Sounds like you finally have all of the kinks worked out of it. Congrats!
LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 08:28 AM   #4

Great to hear from you again Michele! Did you trade rigs? I seem to remember you having the red/white Fun Finder. Glad everything is working well for you!
2003 GMC Sierra 1500 Z71 4x4 5.3L w/towing package
dhyravy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 08:29 AM   #5

Great to hear from you again Michele! Did you trade rigs? I seem to remember you having the red/white Fun Finder. Glad everything is working well for you!
2003 GMC Sierra 1500 Z71 4x4 5.3L w/towing package
dhyravy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 12:19 PM   #6

My first Fun Finder was a 2008 X-160. That one had the red/white decal scheme. Loved that little trailer.
Old 10-04-2015, 09:13 AM   #7

Great news -- I am delighted that things went well!! Did the fridge work well? What did you do about the drain on the battery due to the fridge fan? I have been completely out of touch for a month -- camping in Colorado -- so I have missed out on all of the major news, such as your fridge situation.
profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 09:29 AM   #8

Thanks, Dan!

Out a month? Good for you!! (although it's always nice to come 'home'...)

I am still pondering the boondocking refrigerator issue.

When my last two trips of the year are finished (Thanksgiving being the last), I want to research those $$$LITHIUM$$$ batteries. I need to gather more information about the Battery Management System that is required and the battery iself? Any experience on this forum?

I've ruled out a different trailer (can't find one I like as much. The Lance was very cool. However, there was absolutely NO way to get to the bathroom with the slide in - that's a deal breaker) I've ruled out a new truck $$$ (bigger would present its own set of new issues), so it'll be the battery, or a Yeti Cooler for the dry camping.
Old 10-10-2015, 01:24 PM   #9

Glad you had a great trip with no issues !! You have been threw a lot with that fun finder , hopefully you got it all worked out now. I sold my fun finder a few months ago , moved on up to a big boy 5th wheel 40 foot and had to get a new ram dually Cummings diesel !!!
Old 10-11-2015, 03:18 PM   #10

That's great! We just finished our first successful run, also 10 days. Feels good doesn't it?
Marti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 06:31 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marti
That's great! We just finished our first successful run, also 10 days. Feels good doesn't it?
So, do you mean that you went on your first run and it was a success, or like me, you had many previously unsuccessful trips and this is your first one that was problem free?

Either way - YES, it feels good! Looking forward to another in less than a week.

You?
Old 10-12-2015, 11:37 AM   #12

It was only our 2nd trip. Before the first trip, we found that the refrigerator roof vent was broken, where the PO's pulled the trailer under something. They had also raked off the tv and radio antennas. Had to replace those.

The PO's had also hidden a huge stain on the mattress, so had to replace that.

In the first trip we found that the water pump had a problem. Turned out to be cracked and when city water hooked up, water ran all over the floor. Had to replace that.

Between that trip and this one,

PO's had had a blowout and after that trip we noticed a wheel was sitting at an odd angle. PO's had bent the axle. Had to replace that, and the wheel they bought which was the wrong size.

Their blowout also caused damage to the wheel well area, which now leaked when water hit the side of the trailer. Had to replace that fender and seal all the joints. Then took fender off other side after seeing water on the wheel well inside, and saw that it had never been sealed.

It rained and we found a leak over the bed. There was a tiny slit in the roof where it looked they dragged the trailer under a tree.

On this trip, the only TT casualty we noticed was that we lost the cover to the porch light. Hope it didn't hit a car behind us. We had a problem inside during one move when we had pulled something out of the pantry and didn't put something in its place to keep things tight, and a can fell out and broke the top of the Pur water filter. Only two little things in 2000 miles. I can handle that.

After we got home, and hooked up to electric so we could run a/c while we unloaded (it wasn't hot the whole time we were gone and we came home to 95F - didn't miss Texas at all while we were gone), I had the fridge door open a lot while I grabbed an armful of stuff and took it to the house, and then came back for another load. I noticed the fridge fins were sweating a lot and that the water in the drip tray was going into a drain at the back. But I had never noticed a puddle under the TT before. Asked dh and he said it probably drained under the TT. About 10 minutes later, I noticed a puddle on the floor under the fridge. At first we thought it was because we didn't level when we got home. But no, there was a tube that had never been connected. How in 6 years had this gone unnoticed????
Old 10-12-2015, 12:20 PM   #13

HOLY MOLY - I concede to your worse troubles!

Sounds like we both persevered through a lot.
Hopefully, the worst is behind us.
Old 10-12-2015, 12:54 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by michellep
HOLY MOLY - I concede to your worse troubles! .
Oh I don't know about that. Most of our troubles were caused by the PO and while more expensive since we had to pay for the repairs, you had a lot and they came that way on a brand spankin' new trailer.

But here's to good days ahead for both of us.