Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   FunfinderClub > Fun Finder Club Community Forums > Fun Finder Community
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-08-2017, 03:49 PM   #1

Default For sale - 2015 189fds

Here's the listing I put in our local papers, and something similar will be on RVTRADER DOT COM. I want a Lance 1475...

2015 FUN FINDER 189FDS TRAVEL TRAILER
$16,500

Length 18’9” (including tongue), Width 7’, 4 Brand New Tires (4/30/17), 8-month Old Group 31 Marine/Deep Cycle Battery, Garage Kept, Full Queen Front Bed, 1 Slide – Dinette & Fridge in Slide, Overhead Bunk/Storage, Pass Through Storage, Dry Bath, Dry Weight 3,135 lbs., Fresh Tank 30 gal, Gray 25 gal, Black 25 gal, Convection Microwave, Maxx Fan Deluxe, Equalizer Hitch, Electric Tongue Jack, Electric Awning (LED light strip)

Photos at: Mansion On Wheels

Old 05-08-2017, 04:37 PM   #2

That's a fair price. I've seen this trailer in person. It is like new, perfectly maintained. My guess is this will sell quick, especially since FF no longer makes trailers in this size of the market. It's a great layout, very roomy inside. Best of luck selling it.

gmw photographics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 06:25 PM   #3

I only saw two on RV trader and both are older than yours. One is listed at over $19,000. Yours should sell quickly. Our 2008 without the slide sold to the first caller on Craigslist. Full price, $2500 more than what we paid. Small trailers are in demand and scarce. Good luck!!
It's a big world...explore it!!!
Michigantraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 06:46 AM   #4

Good luck! You'll still participate on the forum after you get your Lance-a-Little, right??
profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 06:56 AM   #5

Of course I will, Dan! Even though, hopefully, it will be a Lance, it's still 2(4) wheels and problems! I will refuse delivery if it comes with an Atwood fridge!!

You guys give really good advice!
Old 06-01-2017, 08:19 PM   #6

Best wishes as you move on to Lance. We sold our 2012 X189 FBS in December and bought a Lance 1995. We were principally interested in a trailer that had a front window and a walk around queen bed. We just got tired of crawling over each other in the night to use the toilet. The Lance is definitely a couple of notches better in quality (but you pay for it) than the FunFinder. That being said, we only had positive experiences with the two FunFinders we owned over the years and probably would have bought another, but their newer walk around bed models just a couple of feet longer than the 189 don't have that front window we like. By the way, the Lance Owners of America forum has lots of great people with all the same neighborly advice I experienced on the FF forum.
2016 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel 4x4
jbfunfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 09:36 AM   #7

Thanks! I had two Fun Finders - an almost trouble free X160 that I had for 7 years. And then replaced it with the nightmare - a 2015 189-FDS. Sad thing is, all the issues seem to have been resolved and it's going to make someone a great little trailer. I made the decision to trade; selling, where I live, has been impossible. Not one bite. Plus, the trade save me a grand in sales tax!

I'm excited to get the Lance in 2-3 weeks.
Hopefully, it'll be perfect for me and the new little Monster (that would be a puppy, not a boyfriend...)

Old 06-02-2017, 10:04 AM   #8

That sure looks luxurious!! Well done, and congratulations! Do those chairs swivel, recline, and massage your back?

And what have you got planned for your first adventure in the Lance?
Old 06-02-2017, 10:19 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by profdant139 View Post
That sure looks luxurious!! Well done, and congratulations! Do those chairs swivel, recline, and massage your back?

And what have you got planned for your first adventure in the Lance?
Let's see - one chair swivels and rocks. One just swivels. And I can hire the massage done (my main masseuse, sadly, died...)

I'm just barely missing a trip to AK with a friend (she left today from FL), so I have no idea. Somewhere close to home. Gotta get the Monster used to it, although she still heaves every time in a vehicle!

Two things that I am less than pleased with is the ground clearance and single axle. But I'll replace the tires very soon with some LT tires, and I want to explore flipping the axle, like you did. Did you do that yourself, or did you have it done? Expensive?
Old 06-02-2017, 11:01 AM   #10

I had it flipped -- although I am a handy person, that was a project that I wanted done by professionals.

And I just put on a set of Goodyear Endurance tires, Load Range D. They are USA made and rated for higher speeds than Marathons. I don't go fast, but I like the idea of extra strength. These are ST, not LT.

Finally, have you thought of giving the Monster Benadryl? (I'm assuming that Dramamine did not work.)
Old 06-02-2017, 11:19 AM   #11

How much extra clearance did the flip buy you? Was it $$$?

I plan to give the 1/2 Children's Dramamine one more chance. And not feed her in the morning. I have also crushed the pills in a mortar and pestle so it will dissolve more quickly into her system. But would the Benadryl do anything but make her sleepy? Would it do anything to calm her stomach?
Old 06-02-2017, 01:21 PM   #12

They say Benadryl works for dogs -- here is a link:

Treat Motion Sick Dogs With Benadryl | Veterinary Place

But don't believe everything you read on the Internet -- often, the question I ask determines the answer I will get. Maybe ask your vet?

The flip bought me several inches of clearance -- making a big difference on steep driveways and rocky roads! I am not sure how much it cost -- we folded the modification into the purchase price of the trailer from the dealer. It was worth every penny not to worry about dragging the back end or damaging the sewer valves.
Old 06-02-2017, 01:59 PM   #13

Lance is a real hold-out in the world of RVs regarding higher ground clearance. I liked the great ground clearance with the flipped axles on my 2012 FF X189 especially when we were boondocking in the desert. The added bonus (actually, the real reason CruiserRV flipped the axles) was to make it possible to offer flush floor slide rooms that roll out above the tires. Our new Lance 1995 has very low ground clearance. While this has the advantage of keeping the trailer's profile low and helps with gas mileage, it is sketchy with some steep driveways and the floor of the slideout is raised so you have to step up into the dinette. The Lance Owners forum is packed with information regarding what people have done to increase ground clearance. All Lance models I am aware of (but I could be wrong) use torsion bar swing arm axles which cannot be flipped like the more common leaf spring systems. Lance factory offers lift kits for some models, but they are expensive. Perhaps the 1475 has traditional leaf springs?
2016 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel 4x4
Old 06-02-2017, 02:20 PM   #14

I guess I need to ask. You have to pay $35 to "join" their little club. Until you pay, access to mods is unavailable!

Is a torsion bar swing arm axle a good thing or a bad thing? I have never heard of it.
Old 06-02-2017, 03:23 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by michellep View Post
I guess I need to ask. You have to pay $35 to "join" their little club. Until you pay, access to mods is unavailable!

Is a torsion bar swing arm axle a good thing or a bad thing? I have never heard of it.
The torsion bar is noticeably smoother, but I never had a problem with the normal leaf springs.
Yes, the lifetime LOA membership is something you have to consider. I did it and have gotten my money's worth in advice and tips. Something VERY annoying, however, is that some of the regular posters have rediculous long signatures which display at the end of every post. For reasons I cannot grasp they feel the need to list every trailer modification they have made and every option their tow vehicle has. Some even add links and photos.
If you decide to go with membership I'll see you there. My user name is JBLanceowner.
Jamie
Old 06-02-2017, 03:48 PM   #16

I already joined, but haven't been "approved" yet (I guess the mod has a real job! The nerve!)
Old 06-04-2017, 06:16 AM   #17

I'll throw in a few comments/opinions on torsion vs leaf. Over the years I've towed both. Currently own three trailers and pull a fourth company trailer regularly. Two are torsion, two are leaf.

The main advantage of torsion is it allows the designer to build the floor closer to the ground, since the axle tube can be built to be right up against the floor. Torsion also makes the suspension "independent", which in this case has some advantages and some disadvantages. That "closer to the ground" attribute is important for horse and cargo trailers, for ease of loading and since they typically don't have plumbing hanging down low, ground clearance is less of an issue.

To change the ride height of a torsion axle trailer there are two methods. One is to actually change the mount location ( look on etrailer at a dexter torsion axle lift kit ) the second way is to change the down angle of the arm itself.

As to the idea of whether torsion vs leaf rides any different than the other, I'll leave that to others to argue. My experience has been they both work and do the job. For instance, last tuesday I pulled my torsion axle horse trailer 400 miles to this show. I turned around, went back home, then the next day pulled this leaf sprung FF down here. Same road, same truck. I can't say they was any difference, and the trailers are within about 1400 pounds of each other.

Enjoy your new trailer Michelle ! I can't wait to hear your report on the new journey.

EDIT: a further comment on the idea of lifting your new trailer Michelle, I would first check with Lance to see if they approve this change. It changes the way stresses are applied to the frame, and they may not approve altering the suspension. Now then, before a suspension expert comes on here saying that I am incorrect ( ! ) ...understand I am NOT saying you cannot do it on that frame. I am saying you should check with the folks that "really" know, and that would be the engineers at the Lance factory.
Old 06-04-2017, 07:05 AM   #18

Chrysler Corporation used torsion bar front suspension on their vehicles in the late 50's early 60's ... that I'm familiar with. It performed well and was easily adjustable for 'ride height' with a single adjusting nut.

Here's how it works:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torsion_bar_suspension
Old 06-04-2017, 09:46 AM   #19

If I recall correctly, many torsion systems can be lifted by adding a spacer tube between the suspension and the frame. I am told that it is cheaper and easier than lifting a leaf spring suspension. I am far from an expert, however.
Old 06-04-2017, 10:25 AM   #20

here is a vid of the dexter torflex axle system

(cut paste this )

https://www.dexteraxle.com/resources...spension-axles