Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2011, 08:39 AM   #1

Default Fridge fan goes off and on

I have a new 2011 210 WBS. When the new Dometic fridge is on AC, the fan on the fridge repeatedly does on for ~30 sec then off for ~15 sec when ambient temps are >60 continues into the night. The constant on and off fan noise is annoying, particularly when trying to sleep. Anyone else having this problem?

colonel gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 01:18 PM   #2
Site Team

Nope. Something is wrong. The Dealer should fix it under warranty.

LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 04:45 PM   #3

What LJAZ says... I'm not aware of any reefer that comes in the FunFinder line having a fan. Most all RV type refrigerators are pure convection operation. An auxilliary fan can be added as a mod to these to aide in exhausting heat out of the chimney, but, as a rule they don't come from the factory with them. What model refrigerator do you have in your 2011 model? Just curious ...

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin :R

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX DP
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB (now gone)
2008 FunFinder X 210WBS (Sadly gone)
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 11:43 AM   #4

Our new TT came with a fan mounted on the rear of the refrigerator half way up. Any FF trailer that dose not have exhaust for the refrigerator going thru the roof will have a fan to direct the fumes out the side of the trailer. Our refrigerator is located in the slide.
Regarding the on and off problem, we had a similar one where the fan would run for longer periods of time and shut off for only a short time and then run again. The problem was that the thermocouple was the wrong size. Speak with your dealer, this is a 10 min. fix. If you are far away from them maybe they could send it to you, that's what I did.

2011 Cheveolet 2500HD 4x4
Intergtated Brake Controller
ARE Camper Shell
Equal-i-zer Hitch
Honda EU2000ia
Days Camped/2011/37 4200 Miles Towing
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 09:06 AM   #5

I was basing my question on him having a 210WBS. Though mine is a 2008 model, I assumed that the design hadn't changed to the point that they no longer had the roof vent for the refrigerator...mine is vented to the roof; no fan. I don't believe the new 2011 210WBSs have the refrigerator in the slide, but, they may indeed no longer be vented through the roof. If that is the case, then yes, a fan would be needed. I don't know why they don't vent them through the roof any longer if that is what they've done... The photo on their website plainly shows a roof vent...sure looks like my 210WBS.

Don
Bronwyn

Old 02-01-2011, 10:16 AM   #6

I have a 2011 FF X210 WBS with the fridge (Mometic RM2652 RBX)installed on the left side of the TT. The fridge installation instructions indicate that my model fridge with a roof vent application has a lower side vent and "optional" fan (also indicates that some fans are factory installed). The fan noise I'm hearing is from the fridge area, not across from the fridge where the inverter, which also has a fan, is installed in the cabinet.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:01 PM   #7

Ok...that is the same model as in the 2008. I've installed a Dometic 2652 and worked on a couple and have never seen one, when installed with a roof vent (chimney), that had a fan. I take that back, I did "remove" a fan from a friend's refrigerator, but, he had bought his TT used and the previous owner had installed an after market fan. It, too, was making noise, so I removed it.

None of the literature I've got on Dometics show a fan as an option from the Dometic factory, unless it is something brand new for this year. I can't find a parts listing for the fan, it doesn't show in the installation details and there is no provision for a power connector on the board. If it is listed for you as "optional" it could be from anywhere and almost anyone could be responsible for fixing it...you're best bet would be to start by calling your dealer; he may have a better idea as to the source of the fan.

If the noise is bothering you, in the meantime, you could disconnect the power wire to the fan. As I mentioned, Dometic's installation requirements do not "require" a fan to function properly when installed with the proper roof vent and there are literally thousands of these 2652's out there cooling along just fine without it...

Don
Bronwyn

Old 02-03-2011, 12:05 AM   #8

Default Re: Fridge fan goes off and on

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel gator
I have a new 2011 210 WBS. When the new Dometic fridge is on AC, the fan on the fridge repeatedly does on for ~30 sec then off for ~15 sec when ambient temps are >60 continues into the night. The constant on and off fan noise is annoying, particularly when trying to sleep. Anyone else having this problem?
This is the possible cause why your refrigerator produces noise. The fan is hitting the ice. You must defrost it and then try to turn it on again.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:00 AM   #9

Default Update

Dometic customer service said if the fridge is installed as per their specifications with the properly sized ventilation compartment between the fridge and the trailer wall with roof/side vents, the vent fan is not necessary. Just disconnect it.

John at Cruiser RV said that they install DM 2652 fridges in several different trailer models and as a practice just add the optional vent fans whether called for or not by Dometic. He confirmed that the fan is not needed for fridges in 210 WBS models and that disconnecting the vent fan will not void the warranty on the fridge. Said I can just disconnect the red and black wires to the fan.

Can't get up to fan connections without pulling the fridge. But, inside the side vent access compartment are the red (power) and black (ground) wires from the fan above. I removed the red wire from the four-way terminal block, wrapped the wire end with electical tape, and secured it.