Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2020, 01:21 PM   #1

Smile Fun FinderX 189 FBR cabinets

Hello! I just purchased a 2007 X189 FBR. Wondering if anyone has done any modifications to the overhead cabinets above the dinette. There are 2 lift up doors, but also 2 panels that do nothing. Wondering if there is anything behind them or if they could be removed for more storage. Thank you!

Buffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 06:39 PM   #2

If they are like the panels and cabinets on my 2012 X139, the answer is that they can be removed or redesigned. There was a lot of empty space in that cabinet -- I removed the panels, put in shelving, and reinstalled the lift up doors. It was an easy and fun project.

Old 08-23-2020, 07:54 PM   #3

Thank you! How did you remove the panels? Is there anything behind them?
Buffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 09:23 PM   #4

I removed them with an oscillating tool -- they are very inexpensive and you can get a variety of blades, such as metal or wood cutting. Harbor Freight has them. They are very noisy and generate a lot of dust, so take precautions.

And there was very little behind the panels -- just the guts of the radio, which were poorly arranged, and maybe a clock (??!!) and a speaker. It was a surprising waste of storage space. Not sure if the same would be true of your trailer.
Old 08-30-2020, 12:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy View Post
Thank you! How did you remove the panels? Is there anything behind them?
I have that exact same trailer - I love it - I removed the three blank panels (one on each side and one in the center) You do not need ANY tools, they are merely stapled in. If you push hard, they will go into the cabinet and you can take them out.

The exterior speakers are within the two end panels. I just covered them up with some styrofoam insulation board covered with contact paper. They work fine. I built a new 'lining' for the area with insulation board (for weight) but you could cover the bottom with a piece of luan or similar. I've got photos somewhere, I'll post when I find them.

You're going to love the trailer! I also turned the dinette into a storage couch with table. Much nicer, left room for a storage trolley between the couch and bed. At the front side of the bed, there is a LARGE 24" x 24" completely blank space that is blocked off by the dinette. If you're interested I can show you how I did it (I won't hijack this post)

Liz
Old 08-30-2020, 12:17 PM   #6

Here is what my upper cabinets look like now.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Storage_WackyPup_1602_23_c.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	204.6 KB
ID:	1722

Here is the new layout with the dinette turned into a storage couch.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Interior_8_Tiny_House_Ideas_Camper_Mods_Wackypup_Wacky_Pup.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	187.2 KB
ID:	1723

Between the couch and the bed, there is an 11" x 24" rolling trolley with 3 shelves of storage. At the head of the bed is a 24" x 24" area that was fully blocked by the dinette.

Liz
Old 09-13-2020, 07:08 AM   #7

My x210 also has what seems to be a massive waste of usable space in the ceiling mounted cabinet above the dinette. I'm wondering if the purpose is to prevent overloading the cabinet. There may be structural limits to the materials where the cabinet is attached. The weight of canned goods and/or pots and pans (plus any number of heavy items) can add up pretty fast!

2007 Shadow Cruiser x210, 2004 RAM 2500 4x4 QuadCab SLT 5.9L CTD, Factory Tow Pkg (3.73 axle), HaulMaster WDH
RipVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 08:00 AM   #8

Rip, that is a good point -- we use our wall mounted cabinets for light things like paper goods and towels. The heavy canned goods stay in the lowest possible locations.
Old 09-13-2020, 10:04 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipVan View Post
My x210 also has what seems to be a massive waste of usable space in the ceiling mounted cabinet above the dinette. I'm wondering if the purpose is to prevent overloading the cabinet. There may be structural limits to the materials where the cabinet is attached. The weight of canned goods and/or pots and pans (plus any number of heavy items) can add up pretty fast!

We keep our canned goods and library books in the cabinets over the dinette area. ... and have for 11 years. LOL

About 10 years in, the ends looked like they were separating from the ceiling, but actually, they were just sagging. The cabinets are screwed to the framing, but only in the areas that were accessible originally. I added a couple screws into the areas I opened up and it straightened right back up.

All is good ��

Liz

PaintyLiz is offline   Reply With Quote