Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2016, 03:11 PM   #1

Default generator

hi guy's i have 18 foot fun finder trailer, what size of generator should i buy when off grid? ac, refig, micro, standard ops.

thanks

loader12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 04:05 PM   #2

It depends on a lot of things -- how many people, how many days, whether you have LED lights, what kind of battery. If you want to run the a/c, the smallest would be 3000 watts (or two 2000s hooked together). It'll be noisy, though. Try to get Honda or Yamaha -- much quieter than the contractor-grade generators. If you are in a campground running a loud generator, you will not be popular with the neighbors.

We camp mostly at high altitude and in cool weather, so we almost never use our a/c (except while staying at RV parks with hookups, when we are traveling, as distinguished from camping). So we almost never run our generator -- we have a Honda 2000. It is quiet but not silent. I like silence.

We recently got a 120 watt portable solar panel -- more than enough power for two people. But we are pretty frugal with electricity.

profdant139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 04:14 PM   #3

Default generator

thanks, you answered my question, happy trails too you.
loader12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 08:51 PM   #4

When selecting a generator be sure it puts out "clean power" or you can fry any electronics!!

The Honda EU 2000i and Honda EU2000i companion is what I have .. hooked together with the Honda cable set powers everything in the camper and the A/C.

http://powerequipment.honda.com/gene...models/eu2000i
Old 06-12-2016, 10:43 PM   #5

I'm with Eagle. Expensive but I have the Hondas. Having two generators is a pro/con thing. Easier to move because they're lighter, might take up more space.
Might replace the stock capacitor in your A/C with a Hard Start Capacitor.
RV Air Conditioner Hard Start Capacitor | ModMyRV
runner421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 07:56 AM   #6
Site Team

I have the Honda eu3000i. It will run everything and especially the AC all night long. For me being in Arizona that is critical. There are nights when it doesn't drop below 100 and I don't want to be getting up at 3:00 AM to refill the tanks. There are extended run tanks available but to me that seems a bit too Rube Goldberg. The downside is that it weighs a lot more than a 2000W.

There are also other brands besides Honda that are a bit less expensive, but I don't have any experience with them. In any event you really want an inverter generator. It will be much, much quieter and provide clean power if want to run a laptop.
LJAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 12:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by loader12 View Post
hi guy's i have 18 foot fun finder trailer, what size of generator should i buy when off grid? ac, refig, micro, standard ops.

thanks
Hi Loader12,
Welcome to the Forum and to the world of trailering!!!

We do a bit of dry-camping and I carry an older Coleman 1500/1200 and a 10 amp battery charger. I have updated most of the lamps to LED and like someone else posted, I am also quite conservative when it comes to electricity use... Unlike the AZ desert which can top 90 and 100 deg, even when it shouldn't be that hot, I have been doing most of my dry-camping in the cooler climates... and do AZ in the cooler weather

As far as electricity, I have upgraded my old grp-24 battery to two Grp-31 batteries... These will carry us easy for 3-5 days, depending on use...

The frig, HW heater, and stove work fantastic on propane, and the TV, radio, water pump, and lights are 12 vdc... the key here is to make sure you turn them off when not being used...

The only times my genny gets run is several times each year before and after trips...

Good luck to you and above all... Have Fun...

2013 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4X4 MAX Tow Package
2018 Dutchman, Coleman Lite 1805RB
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 12:31 PM   #8

I bought a Honda EU300i last year, after I bought my T139. I prob could've gotten away with the 2000. However, I figured if I ever have to live through another Hurricane Sandy (or any other natural disaster that could compromise my health/safety/welfare), it was worth the extra $.
As it turns out, the 3000 is perfect. It's as quiet as a church mouse and runs very efficiently. The downside is the weight/bulkiness. I bought a nice cover and a set of the (big wagon style) wheels. Trust me, its heavy. I built a ramp, so easy rollin/out of my pick up is a snap.

2003 Shadow Cruiser Fun Finder T139
Musicman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 01:19 PM   #9

Musicman24 ~ yes, the weight factor is exactly why I opted for two eu2000i's
as individually they weight much less, easier to handle as I know I ain't getting any younger!

Also more convenient to use in multiple applications other than the camper during times not out camping.

May not be the choice for everyone but best for me.
Old 07-17-2016, 10:35 AM   #10

I picked up a Champion Power 3100 for $899. Dis a lot of looking and reviews comparisons trying to save a few bucks. I have a ton of Honda's at work and after running the Champion through a vendor it was a easy choice to save $1000.00 on the purchase. So far it has been great, fired right up out of the box and the remote start is pretty kick ass. Fire it up from bed to get coffee going.
[/URL][/IMG]
G-money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 07:30 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-money View Post
I picked up a Champion Power 3100 for $899. Dis a lot of looking and reviews comparisons trying to save a few bucks. I have a ton of Honda's at work and after running the Champion through a vendor it was a easy choice to save $1000.00 on the purchase. So far it has been great, fired right up out of the box and the remote start is pretty kick ass. Fire it up from bed to get coffee going.
[/URL][/IMG]
screwed up the pic,
[/URL][/IMG]
G-money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 01:19 PM   #12

Good choice. People like them.

It's a big world...explore it!!!
Michigantraveler is offline   Reply With Quote