Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2011, 09:38 PM   #1

Default Good sam

What do you all think of the good sam club emergency road service? interseted in your thoughts. They seem to have good prices to join. How is their service? Any Canadians use them? Salty

Saltynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 03:18 PM   #2

I have Good Sam's ERS... Have had it for years, but, have never used it for my RV. I have, however, used it for our Neon. We had gone to town for supplies (we live 17 miles from a store...) and noticed that the transmission was a little jerky. Stopped, shopped and got ready to leave; no transmission fluid. I did an "eyeball" inspection and noticed a fractured pipe at the radiator. Called GS ERS and they said they would have a tow truck there to tow us in an hour and they would take us to XYZ transmission. I asked if they could take the car a little further (about 2 miles) to the Dodge dealer and she said sure. She called us back in an hour to make sure the tow truck was there (it had shown up in 50 minutes) and she called again after 2 hours to make sure we made it to the repair shop.

Based on my one experience, I'll keep them... Most all of the road service outfits are just clearing houses for the calls. They have a list of "approved" service providers and that is who they call to come to your aid. Many times, doesn't matter who your road service is provided by; Good Sam, Coach-Net or AAA, they are calling the same folks. IMHO, you won't go wrong with either of the two major RV groups - Good Sam or Coach-Net. You'll hear good and bad about both; take the stories with a grain of salt. If the story is bad...when was the call made? 7 pm, Saturday, Memorial Weekend? In the middle of nowhere? 1 ton dually with a 42' Fiver on the back and both needing a tow? The service is variable, based on time of day, where you are, what kind of service you need (tow or just a can of gas) and what you are in. It is much easier to get someone out to change a tire on my 21' 210WBS than it would be to find someone to tow a 45' Prevost from the middle of the New Mexico desert to the nearest chassis repair facility...

I'm a Good Sam Life Member, so, of course I lean towards them. I do, however, believe in the value of a good road service provider when RVing and whether you go with Good Sam, Coach-Net or another provider, it is cheap insurance for someone to come to your aid in the middle of strange territory.

Don
Bronwyn
2 Cats; J-Lo and Ragamuffin :R

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX DP
2011 Ram 2500 Longhorn CTD HO
2011 Keystone Cougar 318SAB (now gone)
2008 FunFinder X 210WBS (Sadly gone)
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote