Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   FunfinderClub > Fun Finder Club Community Forums > Fun Finder Community
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-27-2016, 06:11 AM   #1

Default Good Sam membership.

We purchased the Good Sam Membership and Road Service last year. We used it for the discount at Camping World but didn't use the Road Service or any other benefits. Our Aaa agent says our RV is covered for Road Service through our policy and we have purchased everything we need for the trailer. So I'm thinking I won't renew the membership this year. What are your thoughts about Good Sam?

It's a big world...explore it!!!
Michigantraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 07:07 AM   #2

I've had a good sam membership for a few years...but not the road service. I've never purchased road service from anywhere and in the past maybe 3 or 4 decades, only WOULD have used it once to change a flat tire. Then again, where it went flat, I could have changed maybe 10 or 12 tires by the time a service truck arrived. Same reason never had AAA or any other road service either. LOL

I used the GS discount at a Camping World once ~ and only been in one once too. I have used it a number of times at campgrounds so in total, it's probably been about a wash comparing cost to benefit ratio.

Unless we take more camping trips in 2017 than in 2016, probably won't renew.

Actually Happy Camper and Passport America have better discounts .. like 50%

Old 12-27-2016, 07:21 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
I've had a good sam membership for a few years...but not the road service. I've never purchased road service from anywhere and in the past maybe 3 or 4 decades, only WOULD have used it once to change a flat tire. Then again, where it went flat, I could have changed maybe 10 or 12 tires by the time a service truck arrived. Same reason never had AAA or any other road service either. LOL

I used the GS discount at a Camping World once ~ and only been in one once too. I have used it a number of times at campgrounds so in total, it's probably been about a wash comparing cost to benefit ratio.

Unless we take more camping trips in 2017 than in 2016, probably won't renew.
I've been a AAA member for 41 years. I used to use their discounts more when I was younger and had more$$. But now not so much. We have needed their Road Service twice since we moved up here... both times on backroad two tracks. We explore..a lot. But now we have 4 wheel drive. Breaking down in the middle of nowhere with an rV could be a major expense. We have100 miles of towing with AAA. The other thing is changing you own tire can be really dangerous in some places with all of the crazy drivers out there. We have never used a Good Sam park and probably won't. So Good Sam is kind of useless to us I'm thinking. Their introductory rate was not bad but the renewal rate was much higher.
Old 12-27-2016, 07:53 AM   #4

Maybe just lucky but have never had need for for tow truck service.

For camping memberships, found Passport America a much better cost/benefit ratio with 50% off camping fees.

You may want to check them out.
Old 12-27-2016, 06:11 PM   #5

The first time was in our Town & Country and we were going down a long two track and we almost were at the main road when we hit a long patch of deep snow that had not melted because of pine trees to the south. Stuck with no shovel about 100 ft. From the main road. AAA came to the middle of nowhere and dug us out...with a shovel!!! The second time same vehicle with deep sand... in the middle of nowhere. The wrecker also got stuck and had to use a complicated winch maneuver to get himself and then us out. Two hours later. But actually most of the time that T&C was great in the woods up here.
Passport America looks great if you want to stay in commercial campgrounds. Good deal at $44. Or did I read that wrong? We have stuck to State Parks mostly.
Old 12-28-2016, 07:44 AM   #6

Yes, $44 for a year is correct; gets a 50% discount at member campgrounds. First year I had their membership, I saved well above that amount in discounts so very pleased.

We prefer to stay a commercial campgrounds rather than State Parks where the water quality is rather poor, no cable and no sewer other than a single dump station. Also since we don't fish nor eat fish, go swimming/boating not much to do in a State Park. Plus we take the motorcycle to tour around on, have to buy a permit for the truck/camper and another permit for the motorcycle.

Growing up on a farm, Dad taught us at a young age when fall arrives, a shovel (aluminum grain shovel) goes into the vehicle.

I've done that for decades including when driving a 4 wheel drive. Always figured it was added vehicle insurance ~ best to have it and not need it than not have it and need it. Also with the shovel, goes two 50# bags of water softner salt for traction so if one does get stuck in snow/ice, some salt under the drive wheels aids getting un-stuck or out of a ditch, depending.
Old 12-28-2016, 03:38 PM   #7

We don't drink any water but the water we take with us. We don't need sewer hook up either. We never watch tv while camping, or at home. We have Netflix at home, Roku, Apple TV is there if we chose to use them. That's all commercial free. We don't use any amenities like swimming pools, clubhouses, cable, etc. so why pay for them? We use the Jeep to explore the area. Cook meals at the site and avoid tourist sites. I guess we're into nature. Re: the shovel, we have carried one in the back of our vehicles but they get taken out and not put back in. We don't need extra weight in the back because we don't have a pickup. The Liberty is fun in the snow. I like to live dangerously I guess. Haha. And we aren't that family that needs to have background noise from a tv or radio playing all the time. Silence is golden
Old 12-28-2016, 04:03 PM   #8

We certainly all have different preferences and that is fine.

Like you, we bring our own drinking water but do like a nice shower (not fishy smelling water) in the morning before making breakfast...and ability to dump tanks without moving the camper. We avoid all public showers, & don't use swimming pool/clubhouse or other such amenities but enjoy some TV in the evening after the evening meal. Sometimes we make our meals and sometimes we enjoy a good restaurant if one nearby.

Here is looking forward to another enjoyable year ahead of camping, seeing new sights and having a good time. My hope is we will be able to do more in 2017 than last year.

Happy New Year to all.
Old 12-28-2016, 04:10 PM   #9

"Fishy showers"!!! Haha. We haven't ever taken a shower in ours...too small. And I'm not sure where "fishy" water would come from? Commercial campgrounds would concern me more actually. And we have never had a bad shower at a state forest campground yet. We just wear shower shoes and enjoy getting clean. I did see two spiders, but they avoided me. ��
Old 12-28-2016, 05:05 PM   #10

In the few state park campgrounds by a lake that we stayed at, the water 'smelled fishy' to me as does lake water & had a high hardness level not noticed in commercial campgrounds served by municipal water systems. Regardless, all water systems serving the public must meet water safety requirements even with a bad taste/smell.

The bathroom in the XT276 is very adequate and much prefer it to any public facility and no spiders but why did the ones you saw avoid you -- afraid of getting smucked? LOL
Old 12-29-2016, 10:03 AM   #11
APD

We have Good Sam for the discounts but not their road service. We do carry AAA's premium plan. We've only needed it once but they were Johnny on the spot.
I think for road service outta state and on my little campers that AAA was the best choice. Opinions vary.
If we were wheeling a 40' class A I might reconsider both plans or even look elsewhere at commercial plans. Those rigs are a whole different level of tow truck ($$$$).

Good Sam Road Service info on Consumer Affairs site:
https://www.consumeraffairs.com/auto...ssistance.html
1994 GMC Camper Van,
APD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 10:09 AM   #12

Agreed. AAA has done well by us. I think Camping World's prices on things can easily be beat, even with the GS discount. We aren't using the park discounts either so we will let it lapse. Pros and cons always.
Old 12-29-2016, 10:15 AM   #13

Yes, I see that your tub bath would be adequate compared to our tiny corner shower. But still I would use the camp shower I think. I always get there early in the am before other campers so they are dry and there isn't a line. And it's their water not ours and we're not using propane to heat the water.
Old 12-29-2016, 10:30 AM   #14
APD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigantraveler View Post
Yes, I see that your tub bath would be adequate compared to our tiny corner shower. But still I would use the camp shower I think. I always get there early in the am before other campers so they are dry and there isn't a line. And it's their water not ours and we're not using propane to heat the water.
Speaking of saving water/propane....
Depending on how far it is to town. A health club membership can be handy. If you're gonna be out site seeing anyway, most clubs have pretty nice showers and some can be visited anytime. Nice and warm inside in the spring or fall.
1994 GMC Camper Van,
APD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 12:34 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigantraveler View Post
We purchased the Good Sam Membership and Road Service last year. We used it for the discount at Camping World but didn't use the Road Service or any other benefits. Our Aaa agent says our RV is covered for Road Service through our policy and we have purchased everything we need for the trailer. So I'm thinking I won't renew the membership this year. What are your thoughts about Good Sam?
Hi Mich,
We have had the standard AAA Road Service for years and I have a Good Sam Membership. I have used the AAA road Service (for cars only) and keep it in case the Boss needs it sometime... We have used it enough over the years to keep it and once up here after the granddaughter locked her keys in her car...

As far as GS, we buy stuff at Camping World; they are about 30 min. drive from our home. We also ask at every place we camp and am surprised at the places that recognize the card and give me $3 - $5 off on nightly camping. We drove over to Wis. in spring to camp and they gave a pretty good discount... Sooo, we'll keep that guy. Oh, BTW, Good Sam sends so much junk mail out, you never know when you owe; Just keep track and when they offer the big discounts, buy a few years; I think my last update cost $75 for 3 years.

GS sent me a Free Roadside Service a couple years ago and I was tempted to keep it up after the Free Membership ran out, but I decided against the extra cost. AAA doesn't cover much, if any at all, on the trailers... Sooo, I'll gamble and knock on wood, that good inspections before and while traveling will prevent most of the surprises...

Oh BTW, AAA will cover your trailer in addition to your auto, but when I checked on it, it didn't cover as much as GS and was a bit more expensive... We left the trailer coverage off...

Good Luck...

2013 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4X4 MAX Tow Package
2018 Dutchman, Coleman Lite 1805RB
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 02:01 PM   #16

Hey BTW folks,
If you are 50+ and have an AARP subscription, their card is also recognized at numerous places... Most of the Perkins will give you the old guy discount off the bill and quite a few other places will also...

I also don't know why so many people don't ask for discounts... at Walmart, restaurants, Auto Parts, Campgrounds, etc. ... I don't mean with just the card, but just ask for the better deal or a discount... I save a bunch every year...

I also just found a great portable propane 19" diameter "campfire" "Fire Bowl" at Menards for $49 ... I bought 2, one for the backyard (For those rare burns) and one for the trailer... ... I'll take the one for the yard and make a "Yard" base for it, to raise it a little and hide two bottles...

Anyway, just thinking... Good luck and enjoy

Old 12-29-2016, 04:12 PM   #17

We finally got ourselves off of AARP's mailing list after about 2 years. Each year we consume and spend less and less so we don't go where all of those discounts are. They must be saving a lot of members money by not sending tons of junk mail to us.
Who is the AARP??
http://www.americanthinker.com/artic...rs_second.html
Old 12-30-2016, 07:45 AM   #18

Mich ~ great article about the misdeeds of the AARP.

Although not specifically mentioned in the article but well documented, they fully support the goal of disarming the American citizens thru severely restrictive firearm laws, registration and eventual confiscation.

They attempt to put a 'nice' spin on it but their end goal is clear ~ eliminate the 2nd Amendment of the United States Constitution, an amendment initiated by our founding fathers to protect the citizens from a tyrannical government.

https://www.americanhunter.org/artic...ant-your-guns/
Old 12-30-2016, 08:11 AM   #19

Don't mean to get political on here but we agree.
Old 12-30-2016, 09:56 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
Mich ~ great article about the misdeeds of the AARP.

Although not specifically mentioned in the article but well documented, they fully support the goal of disarming the American citizens thru severely restrictive firearm laws, registration and eventual confiscation.

They attempt to put a 'nice' spin on it but their end goal is clear ~ eliminate the 2nd Amendment of the United States Constitution, an amendment initiated by our founding fathers to protect the citizens from a tyrannical government.

https://www.americanhunter.org/artic...ant-your-guns/
Interesting read Eagle,
I had no idea AARP was headed in this direction...